Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Chinese ST G.34 C/L

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese ST G.34 C/L

I've got over an hour on one of these G34's so far. Initially, the first 15 minutes were done with 75/25 all Castor FAI fuel for the initial rin seating, the remainder on 75/25 FAI with the oil package being 75/25 Castor/Klotz.

Somewhere around the 45 minute mark things started getting pretty happy and its performance started to increase noticeably.

I'm still on the factory plug, and using the same Taipan 9x6 I broke it in with.

Performance hauling a Ringmaster on 60x.015's is outstanding. This engine appears to be the equal of, or perhaps better than a strong 36XBB or G21 .35, and that's using the 75/25 FAI fuel. At the moment, its so strong and easy handling I feel no need to feed it any nitro at all.

Getting the first pop out of it when it was brand new and the ring unseated required some cranking, but subsequent starts were dramatically better. It still feels squishy as ringed things are prone to be, but several chokes and a firm flip gets it going easily.

Bonus feature: the mounting hole pattern and lower case width are substantially identical to the Fox Stunt .35.

Downside: the supplied muffler is a very heavy brick. All but worthless on anything but a severely tail heavy plane. It does a very effective job at silencing the engine though. Minus muffler, the engine is in the same weight range as a 36X or G21 Tigre, i.e. a couple of ounces heavier than a Stunt .35
Old 10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
cutaway

Default RE: Chinese ST G.34 C/L

I was getting ~3 sec lap times today on 62' lines with my arm outstretched walking a little circle. I figure this was about 130' diameter at the prop, so the Ringmaster with fat 2.5" wheels and FAI fuel was turning ~93mph. Not bad for an engine running suction on the weakest fuel going.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 PM
xby-1

Glad to hear that the Chinese version looks good. It has been a favorite engine of mine for many years. All mine were made in Italy though.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
cutaway

The ST specs for this engine claimed close to 1hp, and I'm tending to believe them. It'll be interesting to see what its really capable of with the venturi opened up and running a high pressure fuel system and some nitro.

The Tiapan 9x6 is kind of a wide'ish blade prop too. I'm going to give it a go with a narrow blade 9x7 or 8x8 and see how fast I can get that Ringmaster to crank in level flight.

I also plan on mixing up a batch of 80/20 FAI with a 50/50 oil package to see if it performs any better on that mix.