Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Now I remember why I hated those stickers you had to put in water....

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Now I remember why I hated those stickers you had to put in water....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:36 PM
mtrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I remember why I hated those stickers you had to put in water....

I bought some stickers for my Stuka off of Ebay last week.

WellI found a site to tell me how to do the stripes {Idid this as a kid, but couldn't remember just how Idid it}.

Anyway, there were NO instructions with the stickers so after butchering the first one with the water trick Itried to just peel the second one off without any success there.

Anyone making these damned stickers that just peel and stick? Idon't give a rats ***** about being original as long as the stickers look the part.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:29 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Now I remember why I hated those stickers you had to put in water....

If they are water slide decals, then a little preparation goes a long way. Clean the surface that you are going to install the decal and be sure it's clear of all impurities, oil, dirt, etc.
Determine if the decal needs a top carrier coat. If it isn't shiny on top, it probably needs some clear decal film brushed over the top of it. I use clear decal film from Squadron available mail order. Brush it over decal and let dry.
Then get a nice sized shallow bowl of hot water and let it cool a bit, insert decal and let it get ready to float, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes is usually plenty. Pick out the decal on the paper and position it above the place you want it, touch it with one finger and slide the paper out from under it with the other hands fingers. Be gentle, careful, patient, and don't drink or fight with the wife before attempting.
A guy named Sean Magreeney on 049 Collectors makes vinyl decals for a lot of different models, I have some of his and they work great.
Merry Christmas.
Chris...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Now I remember why I hated those stickers you had to put in water....

I would imagine that even the best of us has sat there tediously lining up the broken parts so the decal appears unbroken, especially if you wipe too hard to get the bubbles out...my condolences.

George
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might consider looking through some of the model railroad forums those guys have turned decal application into a science.

andrew