Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Old CL engine help

Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
skyspy1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old CL engine help

I have a bunch of old engines that I was given.
5 Mc Coy 19 red heads pretty much parts only although one is complete and has good compression.
3 Mc Coy 35 2 are parts and one has good compression.
1 OK 29 CL engine with good compression.
1 Enya 09 CL good compression.
1 Cub 0-49 Cl good compression.
And a Spitzy 8 CL with good compression.
I know nothing about old control line engines.
Do they have any value, or are they paper weights?
Thanks
Donald

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...#ixzz1CwHoaj6C
Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
coriolan

Default RE: Old CL engine help

Donald
The Cub .049,OK 29 and Spitzy have good value for collectors or could be used in Vintage FF. Latter McCoy are not so hot in value, you should post pictures to show exactly what they are and condition.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because they are Control line engines doesnt make them Paper weights! Go to Stunthanger.com and list them there... they will sell...

here is my CL plane from last winter's build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68970.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1558276  
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
skyspy1968

Thanks. I will take a accurate inventory and take pictures and post information.
Donal
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
skyspy1968

I wasn't trying to be disrepectful with my post. I flew U control 50 plus years ago and wasn't sure as to any value.
I know Mc Coy engines were popular back then but can't remember how reliable they were.
Thanks for the reply
Donald
Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Understandable. I have a bunch of old engines, CL and RC. I remember having projects I was going to use them on OR that I have used them on. Now, if I break a part on some of them there's no getting a replacement. I should clean out the bucket and sell them before nobody else needs MY parts, then buy something new.

If I only could get the gumption. One things for sure, engines last a lot longer when you're not flying combat with them.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skyspy1968

I have a bunch of old engines that I was given.
5 Mc Coy 19 red heads pretty much parts only although one is complete and has good compression.
3 Mc Coy 35 2 are parts and one has good compression.
1 OK 29 CL engine with good compression.
1 Enya 09 CL good compression.
1 Cub 0-49 Cl good compression.
And a Spitzy 8 CL with good compression.
I know nothing about old control line engines.
Do they have any value, or are they paper weights?
Thanks
Donald
I have no idea what happened. I thought I was replying here. but wound up in the questions and answers. See i have a question but was just trying to answer.
Mr. Moderator, you may well delete this post in Q&A if it constitutes Double Posting. So Sorry!

Anything and everything has some value at some time. When one buys something, the seller rather have the amount of money and the buyer rather have the item. So any "value" is your determination.

Now there are two general strains of McCoy Red Head engines. The first are those built - mainly for CL Speed and later some sport models and two - those built after Testor Corporation bought Dick out and started rearranging the engine-room furniture.

Mainly those engines ranging over several sizes resulted in some good engines at very low prices for the sport flying crowd. Their life was very short unless you knew the Piston Swelling secrets and could waste a few pistons doing so.
Later Testors came out with the Gray Case McCoy 19, 29, 35, and .40. They had K&B guts in an ugly case. If you seated the dykes ring on the first run, same as those K&B series 61-+, then you got a fairly good engine. However they could be just as bad if you flunked Dykes Ring Seating 1. I can assure you if you flew CL Stunt Competition, you did not want one! I was on the proving ground of preproduction examples in that situation. Funny story now, but not back then.
If you do several searches on eBay you can get some ideas about their value. Don't be swayed by just one example. It changes from day to day.

Best of luck.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 AM
BoeingFlyer

Here's my 2 cent's worth on old engines.  Like old cars, they're pretty to look at, but not that practical to use.  Price was always an issue, so cheaper engines were just that - cheap.  Poor quality and lousy running.  Most old/used engines today make great collectables, but unless you're just on a tight budget, they're not too good on today's models.  There are hundreds of them for sale on eBay, so there is a market for them.  Their value is relative to who wants them, and rest assured, someone will want them!  Hope this helps.  Mike - LVRRC
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 AM
mathison205

the mccoy 35 red head and fox 35 are both very old and very good engines to use in controline sport flying. if you use the correct fuel and prop will give you many many hours of good service if you run them correctly.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Donald,

If you use these engines, bear in mind that they are mostly made with iron (mehanite) pistons with steel cylinders. This "old iron" has different characteristics than new engines and need different fuel. I would suggest you get some fuel with no synthetic lube...use all-castor lube. For the small engines, about 20% castor is good. For the large ones, use at least 25% castor.

The reason for all-castor fuel is to allow the castor to build up a varnish seal on the iron piston. This seal will be removed by even a small amount of synthetic lube. Perhaps some of those engines' seal may have been removed by running with synthetic lube. Fox Superfuel (28% all-castor) was made to restore or create this seal to extend the life of engines of the day. The ABC, ABN, etc. engines will not make this seal because of the high-silicon aluminum pistons.

Perhaps the engines are just plain worn out...but it's worth a try.

Nitro content should be 5%-10% for the large engines, and 15%-25% for the small ones.

Might that Spitzy have a "9" on the tank? If so, it is a Spitzy .045. I have one on a Scientific "Little Bipe"

There may be a lot of fun left in those engines.

George