Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flapless stunter v2.0

Even though its cosmetically very different, this plane is an evolution of another built a few years ago

v1.0 turned out to be a bit on the hunty side but was otherwise very capable, so I lengthened the tail moment to 16" wing TE-stab hinge line. The wing area has been upped to around 560 square inches and keeps the same NACA 0023 airfoil used in the original.

I'm hoping the flat tips with toe-in at the wingtips will assist in tracking straight and smooth through hard turns. Stab and elevator area are increased a tad in anticipation of perhaps adding flaps on v3.0

All up I expect the weight of this one to be about 12oz heavier than the original putting it in the 45oz range. I plan on putting a .40-.45 size engine in it this time.

The covering is a mix of silk, silkspan and Skyloft. The wing is in Skyloft, the fuse/rudder silkspan and stab/elevator in silk. The whole thing was done with Sig Supercoat so far, since I was out of Nitrate. Hopefully its strong enough to not get twisted into a pretzel in the sun by the Supercoat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flapless stunter v2.0

Looks pretty good. Might I suggest tip plates to help overcome the wingtip vortices inherent in a blunt tip design?
    Once more... with gusto!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tip plates were on the list of field experiments to try with this one. I made sure the underlying structure was beefy enough to retrofit them when it was being framed up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best to you? Where are you from? I'm in New England and suffer from a lack of flying partners. Right now I'd be flying something with skis though.

Once more... with gusto!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy
    Best to you? Where are you from?
    Originally northern NY near the NY/VT/MA triple border point east of Albany. I fled the north east 30 years ago for CA, and now I've been in FL for over 20 years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cutaway

......... v1.0 turned out to be a bit on the hunty side but was otherwise very capable ..............
    Have you tried out about 0.5 degree of downthrust yet? You may be able to simply hold the engine in that attitude and then tighten the mounting bolts up to convince it to stay there, worth a shot I think.

Cheers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think V1 was a bit tailheavy initially, and that combined with a 2" bellcrank contributed to the huntiness. When I fitted a heavier ST G34 and rebalanced it, and replaced the 2" with a 3" after a crash, it started to groove as well as it could with the shortish tail moment.