Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Flapless stunter v2.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapless stunter v2.0

Even though its cosmetically very different, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6837644/anchors_6837644/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6837644]this plane is an evolution of another built a few years ago[/link]

v1.0 turned out to be a bit on the hunty side but was otherwise very capable, so I lengthened the tail moment to 16" wing TE-stab hinge line. The wing area has been upped to around 560 square inches and keeps the same NACA 0023 airfoil used in the original.

I'm hoping the flat tips with toe-in at the wingtips will assist in tracking straight and smooth through hard turns. Stab and elevator area are increased a tad in anticipation of perhaps adding flaps on v3.0

All up I expect the weight of this one to be about 12oz heavier than the original putting it in the 45oz range. I plan on putting a .40-.45 size engine in it this time.

The covering is a mix of silk, silkspan and Skyloft. The wing is in Skyloft, the fuse/rudder silkspan and stab/elevator in silk. The whole thing was done with Sig Supercoat so far, since I was out of Nitrate. Hopefully its strong enough to not get twisted into a pretzel in the sun by the Supercoat.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flapless stunter v2.0

Looks pretty good. Might I suggest tip plates to help overcome the wingtip vortices inherent in a blunt tip design?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
cutaway

Tip plates were on the list of field experiments to try with this one. I made sure the underlying structure was beefy enough to retrofit them when it was being framed up.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to you? Where are you from? I'm in New England and suffer from a lack of flying partners. Right now I'd be flying something with skis though.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 AM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy
Best to you? Where are you from?
Originally northern NY near the NY/VT/MA triple border point east of Albany. I fled the north east 30 years ago for CA, and now I've been in FL for over 20 years.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cutaway

......... v1.0 turned out to be a bit on the hunty side but was otherwise very capable ..............
Have you tried out about 0.5 degree of downthrust yet? You may be able to simply hold the engine in that attitude and then tighten the mounting bolts up to convince it to stay there, worth a shot I think.

Cheers.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
cutaway

I think V1 was a bit tailheavy initially, and that combined with a 2" bellcrank contributed to the huntiness. When I fitted a heavier ST G34 and rebalanced it, and replaced the 2" with a 3" after a crash, it started to groove as well as it could with the shortish tail moment.