Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

OS 35FP-S Oil / Nitro Percentages

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

OS 35FP-S Oil / Nitro Percentages

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 35FP-S Oil / Nitro Percentages

Hello All,
I have a new (Ok it's pretty old but not run) OS 35FP-S that has been reworked by Mr. Scott Reise. Can anyone tell mewhat oil, oil type andnitro percentages this engine would require for proper breakin and running. Thanks for your input.

Dave
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 35FP-S Oil / Nitro Percentages

The first one is mine. My Fox 35 and 36 like it. So does my OOOLLLLDDDDDD Fox .19.

Start with 64oz. of a standard (I use Wildcat) 10% nitro 18% 0il with the standard 80-20 syn-castor mix.

Add 32 oz (qt.) of 5% nitro 16% oil st. mix.

Add 14 oz. of Castor Oil.

This provides 110 oz. of fuel with 27.8 % oil, being 56% castor, 27.8% Syn. and 7.8% nitro. It works well for me.

Here are some other mixes that are on my computer author unknown.

Start with 120 oz. fuel adding Oil.
Starting Nitro: 5% ........... Ending Nitro: 4.5%
Starting Oil: 16% ........... Add oz Oil: 13.5 Ending Oil: 25%
Starting Mthanol ............ Ending Mthnl: 70.5%

Start with 125 oz. fuel
Starting Nitro: 15% .............. Ending Nitro: 14.6%
Starting Oil: 18% .............. Add oz Oil: 3 Ending Oil: 20%
Starting Mthanol .............. Ending Mthnl: 65.4%

Start 120 oz fuel:
Starting Nitro: 10% ............. Ending Nitro: 9.5%
Starting Oil: 18% ................... Add oz Oil: 5.9 Ending Oil: 22%
Starting Mthnl: 72% ............. Ending Mthnl: 68.5%

Add Nitro 125 oz fuel
Starting Nitro: 15% ........... Add oz Nitro 8.3 Ending Nitro: 20%
Starting Oil: 18% ............. Add oz Oil: 1.8 Ending Oil: 18%
Starting Mthnl: 67% ............. Ending Mthnl: 62%

Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
vauxhall

Why not talk to Scott Reise if he built the engine. You can PM him on Stuka Stunt forum.
I run my C/L OS engines on 10% nito, 20% castor 70% methanol. They also like the hot A3 glow plug. Just how I do it, Scott may disagree.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:10 PM
TCraft Lover

Good thought. Scot furnished a breakin log. RPM vs head temp. The only fuelinfo he listed was 10% nitro and 50/50 oil. Meaning 50% synthetic and 50% castor.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM
vauxhall

Some like to use synthetic oil, I'm not one of 'em. Nuff said.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 AM
DwayneD

ORIGINAL: TCraft Lover

Good thought. Scot furnished a breakin log. RPM vs head temp. The only fuel info he listed was 10% nitro and 50/50 oil. Meaning 50% synthetic and 50% castor.
Yes this is what you want if you can get a fuel with 20% oil 50/50 mix that's what want to buy if not 5 oz. of castor added to a gallon will bump the oil content by 3%.

Dwayne
Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 AM
TCraft Lover

Thanks DwayneD,
I have some Patriot (Wildcat) 10% nitro / 18% oil. I think I'll add about 3 oz. of castor to that gallon to bring up the oil content.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 AM
TCraft Lover

My opinion exactly. I'm not sure why folks prefer synthetic over castor.

ORIGINAL: vauxhall

Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Hossfly

TCraftlover
My opinion exactly. I'm not sure why folks prefer synthetic over castor.

ORIGINAL: vauxhall
TCraftlover, you asked for some information. Information was supplied. The love or hate for synthetic oil was not in play.

Back in the early '50s I started using Fox Superfuel which contained 29% castor oil and 5% nitro. That worked perfectly for Fox Glow engines and all other engines including Johnson 35 Stunt Supreme, Veco 35, K&B all sizes available, Super Tigre 35s, and even K&B 6.5s. 1/2As needed a little more nitro, yet they liked lots of oil. I keep several Cox.049 1/2 A planes available for kids to enjoy in my back yard. Some always said they needed high nitro! WRONG! They like lots of oil. I have some 20% castor oil fuel with 10% nitro and the .049s run great with that mix, which was left over from Ducted Fan days. Some years ago an engine guru in a magazine revealed that small engine secret and it works.

Now I run with my RC engines usually 10 or 15%nitro and mixed oil because it is available and it works. I do like castor oil but a mix cleans engines better. All castor oil generally will gum up pistons over time. Using some synthetic, 40% or better, will keep the engine cleaner, even the old iron pistons of "yesterday".

So, no hate, no "preference", other than just simply making things a tad easier and neater.

I use Wildcat because I drive through Chicago area each year. Venture Hobby, Dundee Road in Wheeling sells Wildcat much cheaper than local area stores. I pick up a few cases of varying mixes, and get through the year here in the Houston area. I have kids and grandkids in the area and lived there for 17 years myself. Old Home place. The founder of that HS is an old friend so I have to go there. He and I have USAF backgrounds and we each had a couple years time flying the Fairchild C-123, different times different places, but the connection was there.

So castor or syn. Your choice and it all works. Have a nice whatever of your choice!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM
cutaway

I have 3 FP .35's.

They all run fine on 80/20 or 75/25 FAI mixes (i.e. zero nitro) and produce acceptable power for the planes I've put them in. I've mixed various oil package zero nitro mixes ranging from all castor to 50/50 Castor/Klotz.

FWIW, OS recommended 20% castor oil for the LA .46 I bought recently. Manual claimed 5% nitro was fine, 10% if you wanted more power. I've found it produced plenty of power on a standard 80/20 all Castor FAI mix and have felt no need to feed it any nitro. It drags a 650 square inch stunter with a 2.5" thick wing section around with authority with no nitro while loafing along 4 cycling on the edge of a 2-cycle break.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 AM
TCraft Lover

Cutaway,
Thank you! This is really useful info. I ahve my 35 FP mounted on anoldDewey Bird kit which I just completed. It seemed like a lot of motor for this light (seemingly) frame. I was curious if the motor might do well on FAI blend. Maybe I'll just have to mix up some and try it.
Thanks Again.