Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lew McFarland Passes on

Just wanted to pass on to all the u control guy's that Lew McFarland has passed away. I have been told Lew was a big name in the u Control area when the hobbies was starting out.

Lewis McFarland
    Funeral Time: Monday, April 4th at 12:30PM
    McFarland, Lewis, 79, husband of Donna McFarland, died Wed. Mar. 30, 2011 at Central Baptist Hospital. Born Dec. 15, 1931 in Paris, KY, he was the son of the late Clemard and Besse Tharp McFarland. Mr. McFarland was a graduate of the University of Kentucky School of Pharmacy and member of Phi Delta Ki Fraternity. He served as an U.S. Air Force Captain navigator during the Korean War. He was an avid Air Force and civilian pilot. Mr. McFarland pioneered the Lexington Model Airplane Club, founded the X-Cell Team, and won several National Championships in Control Line Stunt and numerous other international titles. He was the owner of X-Cell Models Hobby Shop and Mid-Am Distributors. He designed a number of control line and radio control airplanes and encouraged and supported numerous modelers over the decades. Survivors other than his wife include two sons, Russ McFarland (Sharon) and Steve McFarland (Colleen); four grandchildren, Rachel, Michael, Paige, and Max McFarland; and a sister, Carol Moss. Funeral services will be 12:30 pm Mon. at Kerr Brothers Funeral Home, Harrodsburg Rd. Burial will follow in Blue Grass Memorial Gardens. Visitation will be 4-8 pm Sun. at the funeral home. Memorial contributions are suggested to Southern Hills United Methodist Church, 2356 Harrodsburg Rd., Lex., KY 40503.
    The Cub Den, www.thecubden.org
    Cub Brother #1
    Ultimate Brother #3
    Waco Brother #120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Lew McFarland Passes on

Thank You, Cub Man. Lew was a Gentleman first, last, and always. There is a well worn Spinks Acromaster hanging in my barn from a kit I purchased from him in his shop back around 1980. I will now be sure it gets better care.
    May his family know peace as they had the best.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lew was indeed a big name in the controline stunt arena.

His Ruffy was the last controline stunt model that I built and flew in the early 70s.

May he find joy and peace as he joins the other great ones that have gone before him.

Ross
    Up elevator is not always your friend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was flying a Lew McFarland Control line Stunt plane in the 60's called a Dolphin. I was going to build his Shark 45, But at that time I was also thinking about switching over to RC, So I never did get around to doing it. Both the Shark 45 and the Dolphin were well designed and good flying airplanes.

Even tho I eventually went with RC, I still watch control line stunt planes when ever I see them flying. I flew Control line stunt from the late 40's to the mid 60's.

I, for one, am greatful to Lew for the work and dedication that he gave to the hobby. He will be greatly Missed. I wish to send my Condolances to his family for their great loss.

J
    \"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.\" Will Rogers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the notice.
    My father flew a Shark in the 60's. Always one of my favorites.
     Lew was a nice man and great competitor. I think he ran X-Cell Hobbies in Kentucky which was both C/L and R/C. He made a beautiful Spinks Acromaster stunter too.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was fortunate to encounter Lew in 2008 at his shop. He graciously let me look at some of his keepsakes in the back room. A real gentleman, he will be missed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87636.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1589142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34170.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1589143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68738.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	1589144  
    I might not be very good, but I'm fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Thanks for the notice.
    My father flew a Shark in the 60's. Always one of my favorites.
    *Lew was a nice man and great competitor. I think he ran X-Cell Hobbies in Kentucky which was both C/L and R/C. He made a beautiful Spinks Acromaster stunter too.
    Chris...
    Lew designed his Spinks for a quick-change from CL to RC and back. The kit I purchased from him was an Italian RC kit, very close to scale. It was a fine and very stable performer with a ST Bluehead .60. Like Lew, also a very stable performer.

In the 1968-73 period I did very well around Chicagoland in CL Stunt. However every so often Good Ol' Lew would show up at a contest and take me down a notch or two. When I was a Dist. VI DVP, '79-'82, Lew was always there to provide some excellent counsel in a number of areas. A great person and great modeler. So lucky to have met him.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lew and I were members of the Central Kentucky Radio Control Club in the late 60's and early 70's - at the time, the only club located in Lexington. While he was one of the majors in C/L competition and design, he embraced and loved all modeling. Before setting up the hobby shop, he sold accessories and wood out of his basement and I, along with many others, spent a lot of hours chewing the fat at his house. He never failed to encourage beginning flyers and was always ready to lend a helping hand. As one of the memorable persons in the hobby, he will be sorely missed.

andrew
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andrew,

You have me a bit confused. I met Lew in ~1959 when he opened his model shop on Winchester Rd. at Liberty Rd. I think it was called "Lew's Hobby Shop" at that time. I THINK he formed the LMAC shortly after that time.

I joined the NAVY in 1960 so there are blanks. One time when I was home on leave, Lew was showing his new ship called the Humbler (later Shark 45). It was either bare wood or primer at that time. He was still in the shop at Liberty Rd.

I believe the next shop was X-Cell in the Chevy Chase shopping center, then X-Cell in the shopping center at Winchester Rd. and New Circle Rd.

My trips back to Lexington became less frequent so I'm not sure when and where others were, although I visited some of them.

Was the time frame you refer to perhaps "between" hobby shop moves?

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi George

The time frame was 68 or 69 thru late 74. At that time, the only place to buy wood was at a bicycle shop on N. Upper or N. Limestone and at Lou's. I think he was in a transition during that period trying to decide between running a pharmacy or a hobby shop, hence his stock of items in his basement. Lew really wanted to start another shop, but I don't remember it being fully operational before I left Lexington. I've been to the X-Cell shop on New Circle, but only several years after I left. I knew he had the shop at the time and just wanted to go by. The last time I spoke with Lew personally was at the Mint Julip Scale Meet at Rough River State Park. Lew flew in a military trainer that he owned and had done some restoration work on.

I think the CKRC was an outgrowth of or a split from the LMAC, but I must confess that looking back 40 plus years with much accuracy is a stretch for me. When I was in the CKRC, Art Morgan and Harold Downing were real mentors for me. That's when I actually learned to fly on a scratched 3 channel, .15 sized plane with a Rand Galloping Ghost actuator. Art had a lot of patience and did the instructior part passing the TX back and forth. Harold kept me grounded in what I should fly and let me use his shop for building.

andrew
    the "other" andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andrew,

My guess is that the bicycle shop on N. Limestone St. was "Joyner's Bicycle Shop". In ~ 1953 Harold LeMay talked the Joyners (his in-laws) into letting him carry hobby supplies in addition to their Schwin bicycles. When we would go in, Harold would ask what we would like him to carry. At the time, I lived a few blocks north of there so I spent a LOT of time chatting with Harold. One time I went in and found that someone had bought the shop and it was once again a bicycle shop. I understand that Harold had "got the calling" and became a minister in a nearby town...Georgetown, I think. I have no idea if he continued flying nor if he reopened a hobby shop.

I did not know Lew before he entered the Air Force but some of my flying buddies did. Lew sent Tom Riley plans of his Ruffy and Tom campaigned that plane. When the Ruffy was published in MAN, Tom got half his face and part of his Ruffy in the mag pictures. Another flyer, Joe Garrett scaled down the Ruffy as a U/K drafting class project. He never built it but I built several powered by Max-I .15's.

We had a club of CL flyers called the "Lexington Valkyries" prior to the LMAC, but it wasn't very successful. One of the guys pushed the name although most of us never heard of Wagner, and there were no ladies who flew with us.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

George -

You're absolutely correct - it was Joyner's. Not the typical shop of today, but long, narrow and not very well lit with bicycles everywhere. For whatever reason, it seems that some of the guys in there were into C/L speed and shop also provided a place to do engine work. But, that may very well be another shop in another time - my memory fails me now.

andrew
    the "other" andrew

When I was 16 or so, my control line friends and I would save our money, then drive from Covington KY to Lexington Ky just to go to the hobby shop to get supplies. This was around 1975~1977 or so. We would see Lew there.

He was a real life legend to us. And he always will be.

Bill Rademacher

I may not be able to turn a kit into a plane, but I can turn a plane into a kit...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How many folks design planes and win national championships with them...not many? Lew was a legend and the greatest! I may pull my old Shark .15 out of the moth balls and give her a spin.
    With the parts left over, Im going to build a motorcycle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not enough good things can't be said about Lew. It broke my heart in two when I heard the news that he had gone. I had just seen him at the shop a week before. I wish I had said a better good bye to him that day when I left. Im prowd to own an old Buzzard bomb shell he built. I wish I had baught that old dusty and warped Kadet he built too so I could look at them and remember my friend.

Tho he has slipped the surly bonds of earth, may Lew forever dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings and touch the face of God.

I hope we can all meet with him again, oh what a reunion that will be, brothers!
    LightRC.com
    ValueHobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First met Lew at the CL Team selection in Lexington in.... uh..... fairly long ago. He hosted a party for all the entrants and their families at his house. If I remember correctly this one was before PAMPA got started. The highlight was wandering around in his shop. Sharks to the left of me, sharks to the right of me......... Nicest guy you'd ever hope to meet.

wish him a pleasant journey
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I drove by the shop the other day. Its almost as sad seeing the shop dark and empty with only the dirty, sun bleached outline of the X-Cell sign as was learning of his passing.

I'll always remember the shop as he left it. If anyone has any pix of inside the shop or any of his planes or pix of him you should post them here for us to remeber and so tehy can be preserved here.
    LightRC.com
    ValueHobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I knew Lew off and on over the years, he actually taught my dad to fly RC in the mid 70's. When his shop closed I picked up this beautiful Super Kaos Lew had built personally. It's covered in silk span and painted, I'm guessing it's at least 20-30 years old. Here are a few pics:

aa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd love to have something of Lew's. I didnt know untill after the fact of Lew's shop clearing sale so I didnt get to get anything.

If anyone has one of his planes and wants to sell it i'd like to make an offer for it when ever one desides to sell one.
    LightRC.com
    ValueHobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the great good fortune to meet Mr. McFarland and watch him fly his Shark 45 when I was a teenager. He was a real gentleman and generous with his time answering my many questions.

jess