Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have this Pulse Jet Engine referance book?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Does anyone have this Pulse Jet Engine referance book?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 AM
KIRK1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have this Pulse Jet Engine referance book?

Does anyone have a copy of the 103 page book titled "Russian Pulse Jet Engines and Pulse Jet Powered Airplanes, 1948-1958"? The book is no longer in print, since the Rocket Science Institute no longer sells it through EBay or Amazon.

I am primarily interested in the attached delta-wing speed jet plan (upper plan) which is reportedly in the book, but all I have is this miniscule, illegible copy. A Xerox copy or a scan would be great, but I could buy a book if someone has one available.

Thanks!
Kirk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian Delta Plan.png
Views:	226
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	2089121  
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KIRK1950
Does anyone have a copy of the 103 page book titled "Russian Pulse Jet Engines and Pulse Jet Powered Airplanes, 1948-1958"? The book is no longer in print, since the Rocket Science Institute no longer sells it through EBay or Amazon.

I am primarily interested in the attached delta-wing speed jet plan (upper plan) which is reportedly in the book, but all I have is this miniscule, illegible copy. A Xerox copy or a scan would be great, but I could buy a book if someone has one available.

Thanks!
Kirk
It's not really a Delta winged model, they don't have a separate tailplane, but the two plans look to me like they're out of one of the Aeromodeller Annuals published in the UK right up to the late 1970's I believe.

Digitised copies are avail online at either the Hippocket or Zoe Quilter/Colin Usher's site.

Last edited by qazimoto; 04-17-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM
KIRK1950

Qazimoto;

No luck on a plan at Hip Pocket or Outerzone, which usually do not have Russian designs. Some guy in the Ukraine has a copy of the book, but wants $50 for it...nice guy.

Yep, design is a semi-delta. I am looking for something unusual for a German Hurrican-Jet engine. Here is a photo along side a Dyna Jet Red Head.

Cheers,
Kirk

Name:	Hurricane image1.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	2089863  
Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
qazimoto

Qazimoto;

No luck on a plan at Hip Pocket or Outerzone, which usually do not have Russian designs. Some guy in the Ukraine has a copy of the book, but wants $50 for it...nice guy.

Yep, design is a semi-delta. I am looking for something unusual for a German Hurrican-Jet engine. Here is a photo along side a Dyna Jet Red Head.

Cheers,
Kirk
Kirk,

no I couldn't find either the book, or the plans in the old Aero modeller Annuals. I did find lots of other interesting things though.

I'm sure I've seen them before, I just can't place it. I'll keep an eye out though.

Have you tried posting on the Barton site" There's some friendly folks there with good English from the old Eastern Bloc Countries who may be able to help.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 PM
qazimoto

Kirk,

Just another thought, When I magnify the Scale on the forst drawing, it seems that it starts at zero, then 10, 20, etc. up to 100mm.

That would make the "nose" length 100 mm from it's tip to the intersection of the two leading edges.

How does that fit with your expectations?

Ray
Old 04-18-2015, 04:26 AM
KIRK1950

Ray;

Your magnifying resolution might be better than mine. I was thinking it might read 30mm from the nose to the LE, which might put the plane length at around 100mm. It looks like the wing cord is two-digits and reads 30, but I could very well be wrong.

I am not dead-stuck on this design, but it is difficult to find any deltas or semi-deltas that do not use the 34" long Russian engines with the fuel tanks integral in the front engine cowl. In the USA, it seems like the deltas never took hold and were deemed as too heavy. I am certainly open to any other designs out there.

Kirk
Old 04-18-2015, 05:54 AM
qazimoto

Ray;

Your magnifying resolution might be better than mine. I was thinking it might read 30mm from the nose to the LE, which might put the plane length at around 100mm. It looks like the wing cord is two-digits and reads 30, but I could very well be wrong.

I am not dead-stuck on this design, but it is difficult to find any deltas or semi-deltas that do not use the 34" long Russian engines with the fuel tanks integral in the front engine cowl. In the USA, it seems like the deltas never took hold and were deemed as too heavy. I am certainly open to any other designs out there.

Kirk
Kirk,

id the pulse-jet it's self is 34" long can't you just scale the aircraft accordingly?

Ray
Old 04-19-2015, 04:49 AM
qazimoto

Kirk,

I'm guessing that you've found the online image at:

http://rocketsciencebooks.com/books/russian-pulsejets/

When I enlarge it, the scale became a little clearer.

Accordingly the scale shows that the nose is 300mm long and the maximum wing chord is 250mm.

It should be easy to scale it up given these dimensions.

Regards Ray.

Name:	russianJet.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2090136  
Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 AM
KIRK1950

Hi Ray;

Wow...nice job tweaking the image! Many thanks for your help!

This should be easy to modify to the right proportions. Will still look for the book though; some of these 1950-60's Russian designs intrigue me.

Here is my 10" wingspan Lil' Hot Canary with a 13" long, 1955 German Aristo-Jet engine, the same company who made the Hurrican-Jet. The pink color is a tribute to a friend's full-size H.C. that broke loose in 1962 and tried to fly through a metal chain link fence.

Cheers,
Kirk

Name:	DSCN6496.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	2090757