Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Elevator Setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
trike_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator Setting

Hello all

I have an old Sterling control line model I am repairing. I don't remember the model it is and don't have the plans eitherbut it is an 049 unit. I was young when I first built it and had it got hurt during some moves so wanted to fix it. When I got it back together, I noticed theelevator is up in the neutral position. Should it be neutral or in this position? I am adding pics for it, neutral, max up, and max down.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94283.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1609080   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca81520.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1609081   Click image for larger version

Name:	gd93770.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1609082  
Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Elevator Setting

The elevator should be in the neutral position when the handle is in neutral and the travel should be equal in both directions. If possible, you can move the elevator control horn forward to pull the elevator back down and the lines should be equal length.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it's your plane and you can do as you please, however I do brlieve you would be more comfortable with everything neutral when the handle is neutral.

There are two basic ways to fix the problem which is the pusrod is too long. Either snip an end and redo or just bend a double 90* in the pusrod and adjust from there. Using your pictures that may not take more than 1/8" to 3/16. So use caution. The bends won't hurt with a 1/2A. In 1/2A, bending a couple bends is standard method for me. In fact I have a 15 powered RC machine that I built from scratch that uses same on elevator and rudder. It scoots and no troubles.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 PM
trike_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the info. I gave it a bend in the control rod, got it very close to perfect. Got to fly it tonight, been blowing or raining since I fixed it. First try to fly was a bust, propellor that is. Second try the fuel was not enough but it did get off the ground for 20'. Third and fourth tries were great. The little change made it fly better than when I was a kid. Lots of fuel and it was like I never stopped flying controlline. The landings in tall grass were flippers and they bent the gear every time. Never had luck landing in grass before either.

Thanks again guys.