Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Building Roy Clough Sheet Metal Susie....engine?

Now that I have acquired the full-size plans for the 1955 Roy Clough "Sheet Metal Susie", I am trying to determine what replacement engine would be the closest match for what this plane was designed to accomodate. According to the write up text that accompanies the original plans, Roy states that a "Cub .14" would be the smallest engine, and the "O&R .23" being at the top of the largest. Since I was born in the same year that Roy designed this plane, I'm not familiar at all with either of these two powerplants.

I have searched high and low for either of these engines, but they appear to be long gone.... Can someone tell me what would be the closest match to these vintage engines?

For those not familiar with the "Susie", this aircraft is indeed a control-line model, crafted nearly entirely out of .019 aluminum sheet. The plans state that with fuel aboard, a flying weight is going to be in the vicinity of 24 ounces, so it's definitely not a lightweight!. Wingspan is approximately 27".....and Ihaven't yet been able to determine what prop was used on the original....

My sincerest thanks to anyone who can offer any background or info.....

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Building Roy Clough Sheet Metal Susie....engine?

Try an OS.15 or an early Fox.15. I'll post this link so others can see the model.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...YdmcUnPKCCJqhw

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, vaux.....I'll see if I can dig up one of those engines.....this little aircraft is a real blast to build !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The model sure looks very different fromthe balsaplaneswe're moreused to seeing.
    I'll admit to being a fan of Roy's designs, I built and flew his .049 powerd C/L autogyro in early 1960's. It flew very well and amazed us all.We'd all like to see some photos of your build............John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure, John.....I'll post up some pics when I have it ready to go.....Roy states that you can expect a full up flying weight of about 24 oz, but I'm doing everything possible to try and come in under that amount...we'll see!

I'm also working on building another of Roy's designs, and this one is for the grandkids.....very simple to build, and flies just as he states!

Attached Files Attached Files