Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Brodak CLP-16 F82 Twin Mustang

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak CLP-16 F82 Twin Mustang

Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
jdmartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodak CLP-16 F82 Twin Mustang

Hello.....I'm finally back into CL flying after nearly 35yrs of absence. Now that I'm nearing retirement, I decided to give it a go again.

I just purchased the Brodak 1/2A F82 Twin Mustang, along with the 1/2A Pathfinder, and was curious if anyone has any flight experience with the Mustang?

Jim
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brodak CLP-16 F82 Twin Mustang

Iheard it flies circles around R/C.
(Really bad joke)
Welcome back to the fold! A lot of us fellows are coming back to teh hobby. Now if Icould just find someone else in MA who flies.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
jdmartin

Thanks for the reply, BtnFlyguy.....that was pretty funny.......

What engine do you recommend for the pathfinder? (I sure wish I would have saved all those Black Widows !!)
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
BtnFlyGuy

I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder except for the Brodak ad, but it sure looks pretty. 35" for a wingspan is too much for even a black widow. Isee that Brodak is having a sale on their .061 though. The price is about what you would pay for a BW on the auction market and it's a beam mount.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Gungadin

The AP Wasp .061 is a good match for the 1/2 A Pathfinder. Hobby People sells them. I bought two when they were on sale.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Phlip

Well I'm not much of a C/L flier (mostly 1/2 A stuff, but I do have the Flite Streak ARF), but I'm in MA and wouldn't mind being a "Stooge" if you needed one from time-to-time (although time is a precious commodity too, these days).

Phil
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Phil,
I'm between planes right now, but I'll have at least a couple ready by early fall, premier flying weather here in New England. Let's stay in touch. Nice Piper for your IDpic too, BTW!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Phil...
On second glance... is that a Fisher Koala? Hard to tell.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Phlip

No, it's a J3. It's not mine, but I built the second half of it ... finished a half-built kit for a fellow club member, that is. Haven't seen it since I delivered it to him []

I'll PM you on getting together ... perhaps you can help me out sometime!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
ken cook

I had a lot of fun with my twin mustang. Mine was powered with two Black Widows. The trailing edge really needs to be glue up well on this model. Ihighly recommend a little fiberglass over the joints. In the event of terra firma the wings is going to come apart. The Black Widows also made it a touch nose heavy requiring tail weight . This isn't a big deal, but two Cox Sure Starts would do much better putting the cg probably right where you need it. The other factor is that its easier to get two SureStart running simultaneously through the duration of the flight. You also get longer fly time with consistency. This gear is going to bend and this needs a bit of rework. Ifelt the kit assembled easy and accurately. Terrific flyer overall I could fly all the manuevers in the pattern with mine. Mine mets its fate when one of the engines quit coming out of a wingover. Icould fly this plane on 52" lines if needed . It got to be a handful though when you were down on one engine. The Sure Starts can be made even more powerful than the Black Widows using different reeds and glow plugs . You can purchase migh performance backplates and also cylinders. You could purchase both SUre Starts cheaper than you could buy one Black Widow. Iwould also recommend plywood firewalls and cheek blocks shaped to the fuse vs, the stock nylone engine mounts. These just provide a place for the fuse to snap off at . Another problem as with most twins with high rudders is that you can't see the elevator. This makes trimming your handle difficult not to mention hooking up your lines accidentally backwards. Ask me how I know. Ken