Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Brodak Baby Clown ARF Landing Gear

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak Baby Clown ARF Landing Gear

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
bjfrankl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodak Baby Clown ARF Landing Gear

Hello-

Is anyone familiar with the landing gear installtion on the Brodak Baby Clown ARF? After reading the instructions, I am unsure how to mount the landing gear to the fuselage.

Thanks

Bjfrankl
Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 AM
icerinkdad

Default RE: Brodak Baby Clown ARF Landing Gear

Is this the current version that is a full profile for beam mounted engines or the older one that is for firewall mounted engines?
Bob
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM
bjfrankl

It is the current version.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM
icerinkdad

Took a look at mine... the landing gear on the current version is plug in. There is a slot on the bottom of the fuselage that it fits into. If you need to you can use a drop of CA to hold it in place. Mine was a tight press fit.
Bob
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
bjfrankl

Thank you for the reply. My instructions say to insert a wood collar onto the landing gear before inserting the landing gear into the slot in the fuselage. The slot appears to be too big for just inserting the landing gear into the fuselage. There is a small piece of wood, but it doesn't look like a collar.

Bjfrankl
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

BJ,

Just looked at my Baby Clown ARC, and since it's already built by the vendor, but not covered - there is no other wood in the kit.

If I decide to install the gear, I'll use 30 minute epoxy, and fill some of the additional space with slivers of wood that are harder than balsa like tooth picks, Basswood, thin plywood, etc.

More than likely I'll go without a gear to save weight, and use a music wire skid instead, or just epoxy and glass the underside edge of the fuselage. We fly off grass, so a gear is usually only good for takeoffs, adds weight we don't need, and almost always snags in the grass on landing which flips the model over on it's back and occasionally snaps off the fin/rudder. Bernie at Coxinternational.ca sells new rubber ducky props that are practically unbreakable, so a landing gear is not needed to protect those props.

Let us know how you like your Baby Clown, as they are usually very nice flyers, and a real bargain. I could not scratch build one for the same money, and particularly since we live in a condo where painting can be a real problem.

Bill
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
bjfrankl

I figured the landing gear out. The piece of wood goes into the slot to hold the landing gear in place. I used a few drops of CA to hold it. I fly RC planes, so this is my first control line plane. I am going to a nearby club on Tuesday to get some help with flying the plane.

Thanks for all the input.

Bjfrankl