Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

magnum XLS36 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum XLS36 ?

Have an RC magnum XLS 36 i'm going to use for control line.I Want to find a venturi and needle valve for it.Any ideas where to get this?Thanks
Jim
Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: magnum XLS36 ?

Lee's Machine Shop or Stuka Stunt should both be able to help you. Lee's Machine Shop comes up on Stunthanger.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:43 PM
cutaway

The pics I've seen of one show a remote needle, so all you need to do is wire the carb barrel wide open and you should be good to go. Using the RC carb is a bit heavier than a tailored C/L venturi, but I do it all the time.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM
jayseas

i was hoping to get rid of the carb, weight purposes.Maybe i will have to make my own.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the easiest way to go is to try to buy one of the OS venturis or any other engine manufacturers that have venturis available. The Tower hobbies website is good about having the dimensions of these items. Just measure your throat size and find one that matches.
Or, if you want to make your own, I have used brass tubing with smaller diameters inside to create the size I wanted. Of course the best is to use a lathe to turn them perfectly to size.

As for the needle valve, you should be able to find Super tiger needles available on line somewhere. They seem to be the standard and work very well.

I am interested in the performance of this Magnum engine. What type of flying will you be doing with it?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
jayseas

Thanks for the info.I'm not sure which way i'm going to go, plane wise, kinda thinking ahead, want to get the engine setup and some runs on the bench and get a fill what type of plane i want to try it on, combat, or stunt.
Thanks jim
Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 PM
ferocious

The Magnum has a fairly large OD on the venturi. OS parts from the FP or LA series are too small. You can get nylon bushings from Home Depot/hardware store that are fairly close and can be filed to fit using a drill or drill press. Easier is to buy a machined venturi for 10-15 bucks. Use the OS CL needle valve it has a smaller OD and a fine thread for easier settings.