Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

4th Annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/ 1 & 2/ 2011

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

4th Annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/ 1 & 2/ 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4th Annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/ 1 & 2/ 2011

This post is to alert you about the upcoming 4rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Ring.

The Fly-A-Thon is a non-competitive event to honor the plane that many of us older modelers flew back in the 50s, 60s 70s and 80s.

Any of the Ringmaster varieties can be flown for this event (S-1, S-1A, RM Junior, RM Baby, RM Sportster, etc.)!!

Simply stated, we want to see how many Ringmaster flights can be recorded over a single weekend, the first weekend in October (10/1-2/2011). Our goal is to have 1500 flights over that weekend. Last year we recorded 826 flights in half a dozen different countries worldwide so we have a long way to go! The simple rules are stated below.

If you are also a RC club member, you are no doubt aware that many younger RC pilots have never seen control line models fly nor have they attempted to fly a control line model. It would be educational fun for the uninitiated, if your RC club would set aside a circle in a corner of your field and you could use a Ringmaster to put up some flights. More fun yet if some of your members have a try at flying a Ringmaster for an initial control line solo. It doesn’t have to be for a FULL tank of fuel – most new pilots will get dizzy after a minute or two. Give this some thought. It could make for an interesting event at your club. Poll your members at the next meeting or flying session and find out what they think about this event.

Control line clubs can hold a special “Fun-fly” that weekend to participate in the Fly-A-Thon! Your control line club should be able to put up a large number of flights. Even if you are at a contest that weekend bring a Ringmaster and put up some flights in the practice circle or at the end of the day.

Individual fliers get together with friends and record some Ringmaster flights!!

There are no prizes only bragging rights!!

The Word and PDF files attached below are for a Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon flier/poster which you can download and print. Feel free to distribute the flier to your local hobby shop, fellow control line fliers and anyone else that you think would be interested. It can easily be attached to an email. Also attached is a PDF file which is an excerpt from my Ringmaster article published last winter in Control Line World magazine. The excerpt is the portion of the article that concerns the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thons.

Here are the rules:

On October 1 & 2, 2011 we challenge you to fly any one or more of the many Ringmasters, old or new, and report your flights to:

[email protected]

Deadline for reporting is 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight time (USA) Tuesday October 4, 2011

Please report how many different Ringmasters flew, how many total Ringmaster flights were made and the location of these flights. You may also report how many different pilots flew, how many Ringmasters were flown at the same time and what type of Ringmasters were flown.

Also, if you get someone new to solo on a Ringmaster, that flight will count as 2 flights! The more, the merrier! Let us know how many new solo flights you have too!

If this will help promote new fliers by flying the same plane so many of us started with, this would be a bonus!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97407.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1649969  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yt61971.pdf (251.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf
Uz68496.pdf (506.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
jcralley

Default RE: 4th Annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/ 1 & 2/ 2011

<xml><officedocumentsettings><o:allowpng></o:allowpng></officedocumentsettings></xml><xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view></w:worddocument></xml>

Here is what is happening in the IL/IA/MO junction area!! Rick Bollinger talked his club into joining the fun!! They are holding a Fly-A-Thon session Saturday October 1, 2011. Here is a quote from him posted on the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum (sponsor of the Fly-A-Thon):

"Getting excited about the Fly-A-Thon. Anyone who wants to come and fly with us is welcome. We are planning on at least 3 rings and R/C flying is shut down that day. Food and drinks are available. West Central IL, South East Iowa and North East Missouri. Here is a link to the club website:"

http://sites.google.com/site/burlingtonmodelairplaneclub/Home

My flying friend Jim Swearingen and I will be there. I plan to bring my 5 electric Ringmasters and maybe a couple of wet ones and Jim has a bunch of Ringmasters (all wet LOL). We will fill my Trail Blazer and put up as many flights as we can!!!

If you are anywhere within driving distance of Burlington, IA, come on over. Even if you don't have a Ringmaster, we will have some that you can fly!!

Pray for good weather!!!!

John Cralley (AKA ElectroBro on the BOTR forum)
http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 PM
jcralley

Well, Australia, Brazil, Canada and the UK are all promising to fly in the Fly-A-Thon. The one Ringmaster owner/flier that I know in France is off to the seashore celebrating his wife's retirement and will not be flying. No word from New Zealand but I know that there are Ringmasters there. Also no word from Italy (they flew a bunch of flights last year).

If anyone on this forum has contacts in other countries that can be persuaded to participate, feel free to try to encourage them to join the fun. A PDF file of the flier which spells out the rules etc. is attached to the first post in this thread. You can easily attach it to an email but sadly it is only in English. If anyone wishes to translate it to another language, I can email you an MS Word .doc file version that can be easily edited. [email protected]

On another note, Dee Rice of Houston TX, designer of the Oriental and an expert pilot, has a birthday on Oct. 1st. He has vowed to put up a flight for each of his 71 years!!   I wish him luck and will wish him a Happy Birthday. For myself, I don't plan on trying for my birthday years but if you belong to a younger generation, that one flight per year sounds like a good goal!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
jcralley

Just ONE week!!

Get your Ringmasters ready to fly in the:

4th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon

October 1st and 2nd!!!!

Sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Ring

Deadline Noon EDT Oct. 4th

John Cralley
For the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum
http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info
Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 PM
jcralley

The results are in and we recorded 1425 Ringmaster flights over the Fly-A-Thon weekend!! That is just 75 short of the goal of 1500 flights!!!

Heartfelt THANKS to everyone that participated!!

Control Line Modeling is alive and doing well in spit of rumors of its early death!!

John Cralley
For the Brotherhood of the Ring
Sponsor pf the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon