Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brotherhood of the Ring Forum is Back!!!

The Brotherhood of the Ring Forum is back up and running!! Although Ringmaster models are the primary emphasis, there are other useful things being posted concerning engines, builds, jigs etc. Vertually everything was lost in the crash so you will have to register even if you were previously a member of the forum. Here is the link to the forum:

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Brotherhood of the Ring Forum is Back!!!

Your forum will not only disallow any posting unless you are registered and that is understandable however it will not allow one to just read or even know what they are registering in and that I would never do.

Why not just contribute here to this forum instead of trying to pull folks away?

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

I am sorry you feel that the forum is too restrictive and in competition with other control line forums. I do understand you position!

It is not my forum but I will forward your thoughts on the matter to the Administrators (Dee Rice, David Strawn and Richard Grogan). I do know that in the past they have had problems with Spammers but whether that prompted the restrictions I do not know.

Meanwhile, those of us that are not put off by the requirement to register in order to participate in the forum need to know that it is once again up and running.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Brotherhood of the Ring is open and welcoming to anyone with affection for Ringmasters. We are eager to encourage control line flying and provide any assistance we can to people wanting to get into (or back into) C/L flying
    AMA CD - 10212
    Full-scale - Commercial Pilot ASEL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There should be a brotherhood "of anything but" Ringmasters. I never really liked the design all that much.

Even though I have one.

I'm excited, I just picked up a Flite Streak kit. Traded it actually. Can't wait till winter. Winter! I live in Florida.

Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Charles,

I hope you are posting "tongue in cheek"

An S-1 Ringmaster built light and properly powered and trimmed will keep with a Flight Freak most any day.!! Anyway, there are a bunch of us both old and young that have a fond place in out hearts for the Ringmaster.

Go ahead and join the Brotherhood (if you haven't already) and check it out before you dismiss it!! You will find a great bunch of friendly modelers and some possibly very useful information. You might be interested in one of the Albums that has a whole bunch of scans of Decals from various models (not Ringmasters) that can be downloaded. Right now, Bill Gruby is posting a build series for how to make a great adjustable wing jig. Go ahead and check out the forum. You may be surprised.

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC,

I went to the website and registered. I'm waiting for that letter with info so I can sign in.

It always takes longer than it shood. There's always someone who likes to have the power, isn't that so.

OH, BTW, no I wasn't kidding, from a design standpoint, the Ringmaster isn't that great a looking model. In my opinion.

That straight leading edge, just doesn't do it for me.

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

JC,

I went to the website and registered. I'm waiting for that letter with info so I can sign in.

It always takes longer than it shood. There's always someone who likes to have the power, isn't that so.

OH, BTW, no I wasn't kidding, from a design standpoint, the Ringmaster isn't that great a looking model. In my opinion.

That straight leading edge, just doesn't do it for me.

Charles
    Charles

Just yesterday some more decal files were posted (I believe). There is also talk of getting "stickers" for the Brotherhood Logo and the original Ringmaster decal. That might be something right up your alley.

As to the power issure I find signing in a bit of a pain with a security number required as well as your handle and password but that is the way it goes these days with so many Scammers and Spam generators on the Internet.

Hope you enjoy the forum!!

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC I wish your website well as for me I don,t wish to be registered at many sites and try to limit that, so will stick with this one.

As for the Ringmaster itself I consider it a true Benchmark design and estectically perhaps the most pleasing ever.

I only currently fly two ships having never completely quitted. A forty FP engined Magician and the GP arf Nobler with an OS 35AX. Both are throttled So I am able to continue to fly them in my chair.

I do have a Ringmaster That I am considering pulling the old Fugi .29 and replacing with a throttled .25AX. Perhaps fror the Postal Ringmaster fly day thing I read about somewhere.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44339.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1661635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45576.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1661636  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

Do it!! Get that old Ringmaster flying and put some flights in for the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon on October 1st and 2nd!!!!!

It is really as easy as getting out one (or more) of your Ringmasters and flying it/them on October 1st and/or 2nd. That’s it – Oh yes, by not later than 12:00 noon EDT you will need to email the number of flights to:

ringmasterflyahton-2011@yahoo.com

That is it!! Of course, however, we would also like to know where you flew, how many different Ringmasters were flown and who the pilots were. Yes, and if anyone of the pilots flew his/her very first control line flight you can count that as 2 flights!! These statistics are not essential but we would really like to have them.

Coordinator, Richard Grogan will email you back with the final tabulation of the results for this year’s Fly-A-Thon. The results will also be posted on control line forums.

Please do your best to join us in this event and thanks in advance!!!

John ElectroBro Cralley
    For the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC,

Well JC, I haven't heard from the website power to be yet?

I have no access number and no exciting email from the head Ringmaster bro.

Maybe "they" don't want me.

Gee, I only flew my Ringmaster at age 12. I'm 65 now and still have my Ringmaster.

The graphics thing, I believe I already have some Ringmaster stuff. Photos for sure.

Yes, I could make all that stuff, the trick is gaining passage through the Pearly Gates.

This is the longest it's ever taken me to be excepted to a Forum, And I belong to a bunch!

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jcralley

John,

Do it!! Get that old Ringmaster flying and put some flights in for the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon on October 1st and 2nd!!!!!

It is really as easy as getting out one (or more) of your Ringmasters and flying it/them on October 1st and/or 2nd. That’s it – Oh yes, by not later than 12:00 noon EDT you will need to email the number of flights to:

ringmasterflyahton-2011@yahoo.com

That is it!! Of course, however, we would also like to know where you flew, how many different Ringmasters were flown and who the pilots were. Yes, and if anyone of the pilots flew his/her very first control line flight you can count that as 2 flights!! These statistics are not essential but we would really like to have them.

Coordinator, Richard Grogan will email you back with the final tabulation of the results for this year’s Fly-A-Thon. The results will also be posted on control line forums.

Please do your best to join us in this event and thanks in advance!!!

John ElectroBro Cralley
    For the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum

That's not later than 12:00 noon EDT on the 4th of October, if I remember right.

Dave
    Dave W. TSgt, USAF/ESC (Retired, 1968-1990)
    AMA #94881, VR/CS #208
    " Old-school" C/L (1955) & R/C (1973) Sport Flier
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood #69, SIG Brotherhood #109, Cub B'hood #198, Glowhead B'hood #51
    Flying field coords: 38.650863,-78.44985

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

You are absolutely correct that is 12:00 Noon on Tuesday October the 4th!!! [:'(] My bad and thanks for pointing that out!!!!!

Charles,

It is not my forum so I don't know why you have not been accepted. Are you sure that you entered a valid email address? Also they want your real name (both first and last) but I'm not sure how closely they are enforcing that. I suggest that you send an email to David Strawn at dstrawntx@verizon.net and ask him what is wrong. I do know that they do not wish to reject anyone with out a good reason!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC,

I'm sure the powers that be know I knocked on the door.

It's out of my hands now.

Besides, as I said, the Ringmaster isn't my first choice of CL airplanes.

I like putting flaps on CL models and they look dump on Ringmasters. Yea, I know, flaps aren't needed. Or are they?

I just recently designed two CL models, The International, and the New American.

I'll get some photos in a short while. I'd like to progress a bit more first.

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charles,

For what it is worth, there are several variations of the Ringmaster that have flaps!!! I agree that flaps on an S-1 would look/be stupid!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC,

The Ringmaster profile is really nice. I just have this thing about the tapered TE. Always did.

I'm trying to remember, there was a Ringmaster with a built up fuselage. Super Ringmaster?

Edited. "Imperial" Ringmaster?

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

JC,

The Ringmaster profile is really nice. I just have this thing about the tapered TE. Always did.

I'm trying to remember, there was a Ringmaster with a built up fuselage. Super Ringmaster?

Edited. "Imperial" Ringmaster?

Charles
    Charles,

The Super, Sportster, and the Imperial Ringmasters all had built up fuselages as did the RC model and as do some modern variations. Oh yes, the Ringmaster Flash Jr. is a builtup fuselage also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JC,

Am I late in remembering.

Hey! Help me out here. Pest place for the bellcrank is on the CG, correct?

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The bellcrank can be placed anywhere within the wing or fuselage, but the leadout position must be per plan.
    Once more... with gusto!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy

The bellcrank can be placed anywhere within the wing or fuselage, but the leadout position must be per plan.
    That is correct!! Strange as it may seem, the bellcrank can be situated at any convient location providing the leadouts are terminated at the correct spot. Iwould recommednd that you install an adjustable leadout guide so that you can fine tune the leadout position but the plans location will certainly work OK.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info.

My model is scratch built.

But I'm using a modified Ares wing.

I never liked the looks of adjustible leadout guides, so I'll go by the plans as suggested. I do hope this isn't a mistake. I've "Edited" I think I'll rethink this. I'm thinking of a removable piece inside the wingtip. How difficult can it be to make?

The Ares airfoil? That airfoil still holding up today in these contest stunters?

It does look a bit thin? Not to mention it has no real "meat" material on the leading edge. So with fabric sag, the actual airfoil is a bit thinner. I'm thinking of adding .06 sheeting to the LE and capstrips. A bit more weight, but a thicker wing, by .125! Good or bad idea?

There's another thing, all that razzle dazzle that goes into the design of these impressive competitive stunt models?

I see all these custom made roller bearing type, no inertia, no friction bellcranks, made from stolen UFO material, Lord knows how they get this stuff?

Should I get intimidated by someone's efforts to improve a device that serves the same function, as or if installed right out of the package? Or in my case I have a bunch of old stuff loose in a box.

Certainly fulcrum distance and ball bearing pivot points have an unbelievable effect on aircraft turn radius and performance, especially straight and level flight, so should I investigate, research, or listen to old war stories about the lengths and setups of these complicated devices called control horns?

These inventive pioneers, that spend, sometimes weeks, creating meticulously designed and engineered HDWE, for their top of the line contempory stunters, should I go that route, or just stay the lame brain that I am?

I'm actually older than old school.

So, I'm lost, I don't know what to do.

Old school or learn more?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jcralley

John,

Do it!! Get that old Ringmaster flying and put some flights in for the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon on October 1st and 2nd

OK Jc you talked me into it. The last few days I took the the old girl to the field and was just trying that worn ol Fugi (which I had accidently listed it as a .29 in my prior pose but of course on the Junior its a .19.

Anyway that engine was just proving to problamatical for what I wanted to do with this airplane for the postal fly day. Also since I would not be flying this one with the throttle system I wanted short flights for two minutes or less.

After two days of this I changed out the engine with an OS .20 RC engine. The throttle arm is rubber banded in such a way that the throttle can be set at any position. I also replaced the old metal Perfect wedge tank of about two ounce with a one ounce Hayes clunk type tank.

Tested this setup yesterday at the field and the engine is perfect with with total reliability and timed the runs at two minutes. This may also make it easier to get others to give it a shot on that weekend.

Oh, also discovered on bad cloth hinge so just did a simple sewn hinge repair.

Pictures in a few minutes so I don,t get timed out.

John

Name:	Vs55761.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1664639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84507.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1664640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf94869.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1664641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj65955.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1664642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ce71967.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	1664643  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wv72950.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1664644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zl60467.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	1664645  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK John,

That looks like a nice Junior!!!

I'll expect that you can put up a bunch of flights on Oct 1st and/or 2nd and do NOT forget to report them to by noon EDT on Tuesday Oct 4th!!!!

Simply email the report to: ringmasterflyathon_2011@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBuck.../0/AFvSpdrp1iI

Had a successful remaiden of the old Ring in well, a really long time yesterday tanked deliberately for under a minute since I do not have throttle just did roundy-round but will explore some aerobatcs before the postal fly as she stayed on the lines real nice.

I had shortened the lines from 60 to about fifty but think I will give her back about five feet for 55. The old Jim Walker U-Reelie was real handy for its instantly adjustable line length set up. Been flying the Bill Young electronic handle so long I forgot how nice it is with the U-Reelie or the trusty EZ-Justs.

The airplane displays super stability as expected and thats perfect for this postal thing where I may get some, perhaps two others to also give it a try. The CG is actually at zero percent MAC and the elevator throws are quite high as typical setups for trainers of those days. I did rerig the U-Reelie to go from a five inch handle spread to around four inch to also calm things down.

Any way I will contribute on the postal event day in a small way JC from the 'wild Country' of northern Arizona

Tried to post some more stills but for some reason RCU is no longer allowing me to post stills and there is a server error around the clock now it seems.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Years ago I built a control line Space Shuttle from drawings I found in a brochure from ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL. While it was under construction
    a couple of NASA engineers said it wouldn't fly because they couldn't theirs to even glide. What they did not know was I treated it as though it was a
    flying wing and it flew beautifully and landed just like the real one. Here is a picture of it.

Name:	Db84524.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	1668852  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast