Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Correct Control Line for 1/2A ??

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Correct Control Line for 1/2A ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
floridawen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Control Line for 1/2A ??

I have a new 1/2A Trainer and am curious what is the correct CONTROL LINE to use ?? I have found Sullivan Ready to Use Control Line Cable .012 dia x 2-35' on the Brodak Web Site. Is this the correct diameter and length for 1/2A ?? Is it AMA approved ??
Thanks !!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
tubebass

Default RE: Correct Control Line for 1/2A ??

The .012 steel would be too heavy for a 1/2a model, it would be more appropriate for a .15 size model. If you want steel, the .008 size would be correct. I used to use dacron line for 1/2a models, but have recently switched to Spider Wire braided fishing line. It has less drag and is plenty strong.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

There is an active thread here addressing line sizes and diameters

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10777142/tm.htm

with lots of 1/2A info. Short answer is that you don't need .012's for
a 1/2A trainer and unless you are contest flying, AMA doesn't have
any 'approval' for 1/2a's.

Dacron 1/2A lines, .008 braided steel, spiderwire braided fishing line,
there are lots of choices which will suffice until you move up to
something bigger/faster/heavier.

One small warning is not to use too large a handle - you want the
lines spaced fairly close together at the handle to slow down the
controls.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
floridawen

I found this on the Web.............. looks good !!

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=SUL106
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
xby-1

For years I used stainless .012 cable, recently I have switched to the "Spectra" braided fishing line. It comes in a variety of colors, I use yellow, It is available from numerous mail order houses if you can't find it in a local store. Last time I bought it I got it from Bass Pro Shops.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=739094&destination=%2Fcatalo g%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D738579%26WT.tsrc%3DC SE%26WT.mc_id%3Dpricegrabber%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D73857 9%26rid%3D40%26mr%3AreferralID%3D8cff6aa3-eb05-11e0-9e9c-001b2166c62d&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-115246

By the way the Sullivan Tuffstand is way too heavy for 1/2A
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mikeainia,

There is no compelling reason to use the supposedly "1/2A" bellcranks of about 2" between leadouts. That smaller 'radius' is what makes it important to use smaller line spacing at the handle to kill the excess twitchiness 1/2A models are usually thought to suffer.

Smaller line separation at the handle means also that line lengths become more critical. If they aren't perfect, 'neutral' (level flight control input, where the flier can relax a second or so to get back on top) is hard to find, and a mismatch makes things not as natural...

My recommendation is that, if possible, use a 3" bellcrank and matching control horn(s) for the same feel a larger CL model enjoys. Our hand, in the handle, tends to reach the same 'stroke' regardless of the size of the model. If the bellcrank and horn(s) match our comfortable "feel" even the quickest of 1/2A models feels more 'solid' and controllable.

For a built-up, or plan-based 1/2A, it may be simple enough to change to a 3" bellcrank... The weight penalty is modest, an aluminum 3" bellcrank weighs not much more than twice the typical nearly weightless nylon 2" 1/2A piece, and is worth that for the more comfortable 'handling' it provides.

BTW, IMHO 0.012 braided lines don't degrade the flying of a sport 1/2A at about 35' length. For more capable flying, with more powerful engines like the AP Wasp 0.061 or Brodak .049s, longer lines are necessary because they reduce lap times to what an ordinary human can survive. THEN Spiderwire or other exotic solutions become very useful. But, if you can still find them, 0.008" braided steel cables are not only great to use, but are acceptable for AMA Rules events.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tubebass

The .012 steel would be too heavy for a 1/2a model, it would be more appropriate for a .15 size model. If you want steel, the .008 size would be correct. I used to use dacron line for 1/2a models, but have recently switched to Spider Wire braided fishing line. It has less drag and is plenty strong.
This is not true. For AMA combat, .012" is required for 1/2 A. This was even the case back before the hot modern engines pushed the length to 42'. .012 is a great size for 1/2 A as it is less fragile. There may be some better materials to use that steel wire now. It seems there is a big push towards Spiderwire, but I am not sure what size. That would be a great material if you can find the right size as it would last a long time.