Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

NV AX-40BB CL Revlite ????Any Good????

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

NV AX-40BB CL Revlite ????Any Good????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NV AX-40BB CL Revlite ????Any Good????

I was wondering if anyone here has an NV AX-40BB CL Revlite, from the new NV company Is this engine anygood? I am looking for an engine for my soon to be started Legacy 40.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NV AX-40BB CL Revlite ????Any Good????

I have one but have only run it in on the bench. Norvel (NV, short for Northern Velocity) has been around for quite a few years and were made by Russian aerospace engineers, kind of like if NASA ever made model engines . The engines are brilliant with technology way better than normal (ceramic liner). That said, I haven't heard of anyone using them for CL stunt (possibly because they're not too common) but going by the timing figures for mine I wouldn't expect a 4-2-4 run from it so would most likely need to be run in a rich 2 stroke. Nothing wrong with that either.

Given that the Legacy 40 is apparently designed for 35-46 size engines, others that may give a more stunt like run would be the Brodak B40 (very light but probably not an excess of power), the OS LA46 which a lot of guys have had good success with, Enya 40XZS PRO, Enya SS45/50, ST G51 (you have to fit a much lighter muffler but oh wow, does it have some grunt ). Going by price and availability probably the choice would be the LA 46 although personally I'd have an Enya.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 AM
chuckiezback

I own a couple of AX-40's that were purchased from SIG before Norvel went under (now NV). Mine were the R/C version, flows on R/C planes. They are fast, powerful engines. NV's C/L setup probably consists of installing a venturi and NVA in place of the carburetor. Like mine, I suspect this engine would be happiest delivering a fast run that would be not be welcome on a stunt ship.

For price and availability, I don't believe that a properly set up OS 46 LA-S can be beat. There's plenty of info on the C/L forums (Stuka Stunt or Stung Hangar) on configuring this engine for stunt happiness. This, I believe, is the engine you should go with.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IFLY,

I'll agree with Downunder. Cost is reasonable, there's a lot of experience and help around to get you started with minimum fuss and confusion. The LA46 is a good engine, and wlll work for you without the complication of trying to adapt an unknown new engine by prop, fuel, setting and perhaps other quirks.

Best of luck! &Happy 2012.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
iflyg450

thanks for all the input, I will be going with the 46LA. I have used them in many other stunt ships. Just thought I would try something different.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
cutaway

My LA .46 runs like a metronome with no tendency to "runaway" that some people experience, and its box stock internally. I tossed the OS remote needle and OS muffler, and fitted a Super Tigre unit at the venturi, and use a tricked out Fox .35 muffler with the tail end sawed off to enlarge the exhaust opening. It cranks out plenty of power on 80/20 FAI fuel.