Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Anyone Flying Delta Wing C/L?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Anyone Flying Delta Wing C/L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
ATR62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Flying Delta Wing C/L?

Hi,

I'm a R/C flyer whose I've been intrigued with control line flying lately (last flew C/L ack in the early 1980s). I'm currently working on a small electric R/C conversion (.10 class). I'm already considering future project and among the few NIB kits I have on hand are the Model Tech Mach Racers (both Mini and .40 size versions) Delta Wing. I’m wondering if these are good candidates for C/L conversion. I haven’t seen much on C/L delta wing airplanes.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Angelo
Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM
icerinkdad

Default RE: Anyone Flying Delta Wing C/L?

Bob Nelson who works for Sig has been flying a nifty profile delta stunter. The biggest issue is getting the leadouts far enough forward to get the alignment of the plane to the airflow right. Also remember that the wing blankets some of the effectiveness of the elevator so it takes a quite large elevator to get sufficient force to turn a wing as sharply as the current stunt pattern requires.
Bob Furr
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 AM
royf

I designed one with a Fox Combat Special crankcase pressurized tank that flew fast enough for me in the 1980's. I used it as a trainer for my control line space shuttle I also built "from Scratch". The Shuttle flew much slower than I had anticipated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59332.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1690178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38463.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1690179  
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
cutaway

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1302242680

Mackey's .049 Redwing delta design flies well and builds pretty quick.

Somewhat more elaborate in construction are Netzband's Fierce Arrow delta designs.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Charles Mackey also did a larger delta called ASIR the Monster. There should be a reduced size plan of it in PAMPA's Classic Era plansbook for an idea of how and what.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 AM
CHELLIE

ORIGINAL: royf

I designed one with a Fox Combat Special crankcase pressurized tank that flew fast enough for me in the 1980's. I used it as a trainer for my control line space shuttle I also built ''from Scratch''. The Shuttle flew much slower than I had anticipated.

Thats neet I like that CL Space shuttle when i was in Jr High, I always hung out with the Boys, they were into CL and go Karts, they knew how to have fun and so did I , I learned to fly CL and had so much fun, I never left Model Aviation, WHY ? Its Fun Yes, I am A Tom Boy Big Time I am a retired Tech now, and Building balsa planes and learning How to adjust a glow motor has been a big part of my Early Tech Training, Thank Goodness I dont Look or feel my age and since i can still move around pretty good, I am Going to Build a Brodak Buster from Plans and use a Mc Coy 35 Red Head that I won on E Bay that should be fun, I also won some plans for a Flite Streak and Jr Flite Streak, gee I have not flown CL for over 25 years, Shame on me I have been into RC, but i need to get back to my first true Love, CL LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just dug up some planes for some pics. The 1/2 A speed did torque rolls on takeoff, and needed more up than monoline would give. That is why it was given to me. It seemed fast and some trim tabs were added for more up but that was the end of the experiment. The other big foam delta was for rc but could work for C/L.Likely a .40to .46. Justhave the leadouts an inch or two behind the C/G. See if Ican load pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72573.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1699505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23804.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1699506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46891.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1699507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45646.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1699508  
Old 12-31-2011, 03:49 PM
aspeed

This is kind of an old thread but I stumbled across a kit for an 1950's stunter called the Fierce Arrow from RSM Distribution.  It seems a bit pricey but is laser cut .  Pg. 12 of the catalogue.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
ghostfisher

I recently started control line flyingagain and have been building planes that I had when I was a kid. I have a Half Fast III that is a delta configuration. I have a Fox Combat special on it and is scary fast even without pressure. It flys very well. If you want to see what one looks like, go to www.controllineplans.com . I have another Delta calleda WOW, a design form the 50's. It flys OK but not as well as the half fast.. I have another one almost finished. I like the design a lot. It is really rugged. Barry Baxter sells plans foralmost all of the old favorites in controlline. Very nice full size plans, which is far cheaper than scouring Ebay for old kits.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
aspeed

The Wow Wee was one that I wanted when I was a kid but it wasn't available in the 70's.  Good to see the plans available now.  There is a George 1/2A in there.  That was my first successful combat back then.  I had a Tee Dee .049 on mine, must have been an option on the plan.  I was trying to remember the name of it a while ago.  The Nick Zirolli P 38 looks interesting as a combatish plane.