Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ace Foam Wings

While cleaning out the shop I came across 3 sets of Ace tapered chord wings and one set of straight wings. For various reasons Im no longer flying R?C so I was wondering what would the design parameters be to use these wings for a 1/2a airplane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ace Foam Wings

I have built combat style models using the constant cord wings for CL. Because they have a lifting airfoil they will turn much better inside loops than outside but if you allow for about twice as much down elevator as up you should be able to fly them. They make a fun sport model if you stick to inside loops. If you want to you can even use the tapered wings to make simi-scale profile WWII models but will probably want something like the Norvel 061 for power if you use them full length.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Ace foam wings were a popular item. RCM used them in a lot of the plans from their magazine. Ibuilt a 1/2A AeroCommander from the RCM plans as well as a couple of other RCM plans in themid 70's time frame. Istill seeseveral posts asking where they can be obtained now. There are a couple of suppliers butthe Ace foam wingsare a good all around wing and are quick to assemble.
    ORIGINAL: fargophil

While cleaning out the shop I came across 3 sets of Ace tapered chord wings and one set of straight wings. For various reasons Im no longer flying R?C so I was wondering what would the design parameters be to use these wings for a 1/2a airplane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MWC has replica of the Ace foam wing(cut instead of molded), Select Hobby still has some original Ace:

http://www.mwcores.com/servlet/Categories?category=ACE
    http://www.selecthobbies.com/kitdata.htm
    Very convenient for a quick build!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If these are useless, you should sell them. There are many people who want to buy these.