Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/6-7/2012

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/6-7/2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 AM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/6-7/2012

This year we will hold the 5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon on October 6th and 7th!!

This event is sponsored by the "Brotherhood of the Ring" but it is open to everyone who flies a Ringmaster of some variety.
[link=http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info]Brotherhood of the Ring[/link]

The attached file is for this year's informational flyer. Please download the file to see the rules and please plan to join us in the largest control line model flying event in the World. There are no entry registrations or fees!!! You just have to fly one or more of the many varieties of the Ringmaster and report via email about your participation.

Last year we had 1505 Ringmaster flights reported and this year the goal is to have more than 2000 Ringmaster flights.

So join us by flying a Ringmaster the first weekend in October and have the satisfaction of knowing you are one of hundreds of control line fliers celebrating our wonderful sport.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mj24381.pdf (195.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/6-7/2012

Hey JC good to hear its going agine. I did participate last year along with a few others here and will agine this year except may not be able to report it.

Before had major problems registering on that website and some how lost a link that got me in. So am locked out once agine. Did go thru the reset protocal numerous times and receved a new code but it never works.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM
jcralley

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Hey JC good to hear its going agine. I did participate last year along with a few others here and will agine this year except may not be able to report it.

Before had major problems registering on that website and some how lost a link that got me in. So am locked out once agine. Did go thru the reset protocal numerous times and receved a new code but it never works.

John
Sorry, but some of the information last year had an incorrect email (nonexistent) address for reporting and you can bet we will not let that happen again this year!!!! We do not want anyone, who makes the effort to participate in the Fly-A-Thon, left out of the final results tabulation!!!

Do be sure to submit your results by the deadline 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight time (USA) on Tuesday October 9, 2012.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

What or where is the best way to get a full size plan of a Sterling Ringmaster S-1?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM
jcralley

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

What or where is the best way to get a full size plan of a Sterling Ringmaster S-1?
Tom,

I am glad you asked about S-1 plans. The original Ringmaster kits did not include a set of plans but rather only had a set of building instructions.

A couple of years ago Gabriele Marci' drew up a set of plans for free distribution. The plans are public domain and can be used to print out full sized plans at you local copy shop and/or office supply store. Some people have also had them printed by a blue print company or by an engineering firm. If you build from these plans you will have an Old Time legal S-1 Ringmaster. They show all the parts full sized and are "modernized" with adjustable leadouts, weight box and some internal wing changes such as bell crank mounting. Gabriele's plans are in metric dimensions but Pat King kindly converted them to english measurements and did some of the modernizing. If you want a copy of the file for metric plans, email me and I will send you a copy attached to my reply. Build your Ringmaster light to have a great flying model!!

I have attached the pdf file version of Pat's english measurement plans to this post. This file should print out a full sized plan which is nominally a 44" by 24" sheet when printed using 100% for the size setting. Just click the "Attachment" next to the plans photo below. You can also download the file from this link: [link=http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9412]5th RM Fly-A-Thon[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79437.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1780875  
Attached Files
Ec87663.pdf (603.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Tom Nied

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. My only problem would be finding a place to print it out. Do I copy it to a memory stick or cd and take that to a shop? Or has anyone split the plan to fit onto several 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and then once printed could be pieced together? 42" should be the wingspan, right?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM
jcralley

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. My only problem would be finding a place to print it out. Do I copy it to a memory stick or cd and take that to a shop? Or has anyone split the plan to fit onto several 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and then once printed could be pieced together? 42'' should be the wingspan, right?
Tom,

The pdf file can be split and printed out on a bunch of letter sized sheets. I believe that in a pdf reader program what you do is tile the image but don't ask me how you do that. LOL Maybe someone who does know will chime in here and help you/us out on "the how to" for this.

Otherwise, just copy the file to a thumb drive or disk and head out to a copy shop (Fed Ex/Kinkos etc) or office supply. You might call ahead to be sure they have a large format plotter/printer.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Tom Nied

OK, that sounds great. I've just never done that before. Will give it a try today. I just have to get the scale correct, like wingtip to wintip is 42", I think.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
jcralley

Yep 42" is the wing span. Also in the lower left corner of the plans is a scale. If you can print that corner (at 281%) the scale should be close to the correct size. If not adjust the % up or down to get it right.

Good luck!!

Update at 3:48 PM CDT: Printing at 100% is way too small. I adjusted the print % to 281%which has to be close. My printer insists on printing all of the pages which is a royal pain in the rear. I canceled the print after three pages. Anyway, rib #6 printed out about dead on compared to an actual rib #6 so I think you will be close. Printers may vary so be sure to measure something known (rib # 6 is about 6 and 7/8 inches long)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
jcralley

Quick update RE the plans file: I have replaced the file in my previous post with one that should print out a full sized Ringmaster S-1 plan (nominally 44" x 24" ) when the size setting is set to 100%!! I am also attaching the same plans file to this post. If you had trouble printing a full sized plan form tha previous file, try this new file.

Attached Files
Ay74121.pdf (603.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Tom Nied

I went to Fed Ex/Kinkos and for $4.68, Rick (Kinkos Associate) was able enlarge the file by 300% and it came out close enough to 42" that I didn't have him try to reprint it. Off by maybe an 1/8th of inch, it's close enough and I have a working plan. Looking though some of my old plans I found the original instruction sheet. It's a blast to read, but thats how we made them back then (for me 1968). Ringmaster = Funmaster, to me. Materials aquisition will be the next step. I've got a Fox 35 stunt not doing anything, but like the idea of using a new OS 25. Thanks jcralley.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
jcralley

There you go!!!

We like to give service with a smile! LOL

And the price was right!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 AM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

If you use Adobe Reader X (free to download) you can print on multiple sheets. It's called tiling on the programme.

Adjust the overlap to suit your own needs.

Regards

Greg
Old 07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Tom Nied

yeah greg, thanks, maybe next time I'll try that. But the info might be a godsend for others who can't get out to a FedEx/Kinkos like I was able to. Considering how cheap it costs to get a copy, I might take the new full size plan and get another to see if the qaulity gets any better than what I have. Although, the 300% copy of the original is quite workable as is. Others viewing this thread could benefit immensely. I really like the plan and how it has some modernizations that don't take anything away from the original. Maybe others might like seeing the original assembly sheet.

What do you think jcralley?

Actually for this fun fly, seems like any RingMaster is a winner.

I've got to make some plans and decisions on material aquistion in order to crack this one out. I kick myself now, I actually sold two perfectly good RingMasters S-1's about 22 years ago when I backed away from CL and was getting interested in Indoor FF. Now I wish I had even just one. I'll have to look for a picture of them.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
jcralley

Tom,

You wrote: "I really like the plan and how it has some modernizations that don't take anything away from the original. Maybe others might like seeing the original assembly sheet."

I am glad you got a workable plan from the file!! I made some suggestions but Pat King did a real good job of doing the modernizations to Gabriele Marci' plan. Yes it is possible that others would like to see the original assembly sheet. Unfortunately I do not have a copy but if you have a copy, maybe you could photograph it and send me the photo file.

Pat King ([email protected]) sells a number of laser cut Ringmaster kits at reasonable prices. It is just that he does not have an S-1 Ringmaster kit. On the other hand, RSM does have a Ringmaster S-1 kit at sells for $80 to $100 or so. Mike Griffin owner of "Wings on Strings" sells the RSM kit for a discount price of $69.95 ([link=http://www.wingsonstrings.com/rsmkits2.html]Wings on Strings[/link]). Pat Johnston ([email protected]) actually drew the plans for the RSM kit and he also has some laser cut Ringmaster kits including a Ringmaster LIGHT version of the original Ringmaster (which flies really great). Aside from RSM, these are "cottage industry" people that are just tying to make available control line model kits which otherwise would be impossible to find.

The photo is of Richard Oliver and Dale Gleason with Dale holding his Ringmaster 526 which was built from one of Pat Johnston's laser cut kits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76140.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1781259  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Tom Nied

jcralley, challenge accepted. Give me a couple days. g/f thinks we could do that as a jpg. maybe with our Canon t1I
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Tom Nied

Hey? That Ringmaster Dale Gleason is holding has flaps! Scandalous. Just kidding, I envied my friends Sterling P-51 that had flaps.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 AM
jcralley

Hey? That Ringmaster Dale Gleason is holding has flaps! Scandalous. Just kidding, I envied my friends Sterling P-51 that had flaps.
Yep Tom, You are right it has flaps. It is only legal for Profile Stunt events but Pat designed it to be competitive in that event. It also has a modern (better) airfoil and is designed to be light weight. Pat Johnston also has a 576 Ringmaster (576 sq inch area) that is a big sister to the 526.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Tom Nied

Oh, now I get it. That's a cool idea. I used to fly with a CL group and one guy did a 2X RingMaster. That was pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
rcflyer-rick

The Burlington Model Airplane Club is hosting its 2nd Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon and C/L fun-fly. Burlington Ia. Thats about where Ia.,IL.,and MO. meet. We will have lunch, drinks and drawing/raffels. $5.00 landing fee to help offset costs. Three rings going all day one will be 1/2a. We hope to have our new covered pit area done. John Crawley will be showing us Ringmaster combat So come on down and have some fun. No ringmasters no problem some will be there to fly. Bring what you want and have fun. Here is a link to the club just go to news and announcements. https://sites.google.com/site/burlin...planeclub/Home
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 AM
laralist123

I think Annual Worldwide Ringmaster event is one of the best and i really like this events.I will try to attend this event.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 AM
jcralley

Wow laralist123,

It will be really great to have a flier (s) from Pakistan join us flying in the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon!!

Do not forget to email a report of your flights to [email protected] by 12:00 Eastern Daylight time (New York City time).

If you need plans to build a Ringmaster S-1 (the original Ringmaster) email me at [email protected] and I will attach a PDF file for the plans to my reply.

Thanks for joining the Worldwide Fly-A-Thon

John Cralley
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 AM
jcralley

If anyone reading this is thinking about trying to set a record for the number of flights during the Fly-A-Thon here is what you have to excede:

428 flights by a group of fliers at one site (set in 2010 by the Alameda, CA Aer-O-Nuts)

71 flights by a single individual (set in 2011 by Dee Rice from Houston, TX)

These will be tough records to break so I suggest that you just take your Ringmaster out during the Fly-A-Thon and fly it for fun!!!

John Cralley
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
rcflyer-rick

Hey John, was Dee's record for the weekend or a single day? If it was for the weekend a single day record could still be had correct?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM
jcralley

Rick,

I believe he did it all in one day, his 71st Birthday!! I also believe that he was pooped by the end and flying sitting in a swivel office chair in the center of the circle. To approach his record you would have have a dedicated pit crew willing to work for long hours!!! Yes, I guess the record for one individual in the two days is still open but you would have to exceed 71 flights. That is doable if you could put in 35+ flights a day.

It would be interesting to know if anyone is up for trying for new records this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.