Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Shoestring Stunter Old kit new build

The OS Max 30-S is from 1977 and is a smaller bore 35-S.
    Loop scavenged Baffle piston Steel P/L. I haven't seen one but if it's anytyhing like its larger brother
    you have yourself a very nice stunt engine.
    I'd run a Fox type ffuel through it with only 25% oil.
    Start off with a 10x4 prop on the bench.
    Good luck.

Engine pic supplied is from the History of OS Engine site

Fredo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53160.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	1840410  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fredo, thanks for the clarification. Yes, I'd have to agree with you there regarding it being a nice stunt engine. It was around about the time in the 1970's you mentioned that the Schneurle technology engines AFAIK were taking off and manufacturers were discontinuing these older tech engines.

The OS Max .30S is an engine basically using the older 1950's-1960's technology. I've purchased a number of those older style engines (Enya, Fuji, OS Max, Fox), because they are reasonably fuel efficient and can swing larger diameter usually lower pitched props happily at slightly reduced RPM's forever. They also are long life if properly cared for. Even have 2 odd ball loop scavenged baffle piston ABC P/L Fuji 099S-II engines, 5.5:1 low compression, targeting them for larger Texaco type aircraft.

Regarding the Schneurles, I remember the rants by some of the old time fliers that still wanted these older tech engines to be continued to be reproduced, if nothing else because of their fuel efficiency. Now that the court is out on the Schneurles, modelers have gotten used to them. Matching the plane to the engine's horsepower and thrust output (props) instead of legacy engine sizes have shown they can make do (i.e., OS Max .10LA for .15-.19 CL plane, .25LA for .35-.40 CL plane, etc.).

Also, I like the quick break in cycles for the ABC / ABN engines, but I am content with the old stuff as well.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! I ask a simple question and get a wealth of knowledge. This is a great place and all your comments are very helpful. I'm just getting back into the sport after being out of it for 35 years and Iwasn't that strong in it to begin with, having had a few 1/2A's, a Midwest ME 109 with a Fox .15 and the Lucky Sport with a Fox .35. Now Ihave three planes ready for the season, a box full of engines and more build projects to get me through the winter. Even joined the AMA and have a few flying buddies here in MA. Life is good. Thanks again!
    Once more... with gusto!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With a Ringmaster and a Shoestring Stunter Life is GOOD! especialy if you have fuel on a nice day.
    So I wish you some good flying up there in Mass.
    MidAtlanticCombat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW BtnFlyGuy, I got the brother to your Midwest ME-109, their P-40 Warhawk w/McCoy .19 Red Head and a Sterling S-46 Hellcat (Ringmaster S-1 size) w/McCoy .40 Black Head. (Going with slightly larger engine because of this 4,300 feet (1 311 m) elevation.) I'd be interested in hearing your progress, and will post mine once I get started on these kits.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So you were away for 35 yrs. You beat me. I was only away for 33 yrs., but in the 60's & 70's I was very active in C/L. Once I picked up the handle again in 2011, my radio's are getting dusty. Have had a ball the last two seasons learning to become a "Stunt" Flyer. Good luck to you with your Shoestring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123