Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Starting a P-40 By Brodak

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent I built a Ringmaster Jr. in the mid-fifties and it flew OK with an OK Cub. 099 and McCoy .098. It flew even better with a McCoy .09 diesel and a K&B Greenhead .09. A Cox TD .09 would be another great choice.

Later engines such as the OS, Magnum and Thundertiger .10 engines are much heavier and when you add the muffler it makes a small model like a Ringmaster Jr. a bit nose heavy.
    I'm thinking for this 27.5 inch (700 mm) span P-40 airplane would be well suited for a Gilbert .11 Thunderhead engine. To keep the nose light, one could leave the twin muffler stacks off.

I've got a Midwest P-40 Warhawk 33" CL kit, targeting my McCoy .19 Red Head for it. Clearing my plate of other projects, it will be a future build.
    I used a McCoy 19 with a Tatone Peacepipe just like that on my Veco Warrior. I learned about half of the pattern with it. Runs great with an 8x5, 10 % nitro fuel with 25% castor. I liked 52 to 57 foot lines, .012th's diameter worked best on the smaller stunters for me. Love these little models. I had two 48 inch Midwest fighters, ME-109 and P-63. These two taught me the rest of the pattern.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy

Well! as it just so happens, the ME-109 is ready to go except for breaking the engine in ...The tail wheel area has been repainted to cover the off color fabric reinforcement and the spinner is going to be the correct size. Thanks for asking!

LOOK GOOD! That makes me want one but it will have to come latter, Like when I am at the Brodak Fly-in in June.
    Keep up the good work.

MidAtlanticCombat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr
    ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler I've got a Midwest P-40 Warhawk 33'' CL kit, targeting my McCoy .19 Red Head for it. Clearing my plate of other projects, it will be a future build.
    I used a McCoy 19 with a Tatone Peacepipe just like that on my Veco Warrior. I learned about half of the pattern with it. Runs great with an 8x5, 10 % nitro fuel with 25% castor. I liked 52 to 57 foot lines, .012th's diameter worked best on the smaller stunters for me. Love these little models. I had two 48 inch Midwest fighters, ME-109 and P-63. These two taught me the rest of the pattern.
    Chris, I've got a Peace Pipe, too. It says on it, "29-40 Peace Pipe", but it fits my McCoy 19-RH. Yes, the larger Midwest are really a good size and nice looking. I've got plans for a profile Supermarine Spitfire of about 50" span as a future project.

I've got the 42" span Sterling Hellcat, targeting the McCoy .40 Series 21 Black Head for it. I live at 4,300 feet elevation, and I figure the slightly larger sizes will help make up for the horsepower losses at this elevation. (Air is 85% of what it is at sea level; I figure about the same loss in HP. McCoy .40-BH at sea puts out 0.60 HP; here I figure must be .51 HP (about the same as a .30). I used to live at 6,500 feet elevation, that is 78% of sea level, figured .40-BH would put out .47 HP. Perhaps a crude way of thinking about it but pro'ly is about right. McCoy .19-RH, .40 HP at sea, 0.34 at 4,300 ft, 0.31 at 6,500 ft, same HP as a .15 at sea.)

I needed some half-A lines, so last night a bought Zebco Omniflex 20 lb test monofilament fishing line for a couple bucks at Wal-Mart. It is 0.0185 dia. They didn't have the preferred multistrand I-forget-the-name-of bright colored stuff. It seems rigid enough and its 250 yards, which should make up a good number of lines for .049 reed valve, Gilberts and .049 OK Cub flying.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123