Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bought newF2D set question...

I have a few wings I bought new. 3 of them appear normal with leadout lines from inside. I have a another one that has the bellcrank on the outside of the wing with a strange set up. Same wing as the others, but set up different. How do I hook it up and why is it made this way, when it's the same wing as the others? Here are some pictures to compare together and see what i'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51769.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	1810551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65343.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	1810552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51015.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	1810553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey71414.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1810554  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: bought newF2D set question...

ORIGINAL: ehelibuff

I have a few wings I bought new. 3 of them appear normal with leadout lines from inside. I have a another one that has the bellcrank on the outside of the wing with a strange set up. Same wing as the others, but set up different. How do I hook it up and why is it made this way, when it's the same wing as the others? Here are some pictures to compare together and see what i'm talking about.

Hi ehe,

I always hated external control set ups on Combat designs. They are the result of the designer/builder being too lazy to install

an internal control system or a means to switch lines to a backup. The Combat model will fly better with internal controls.

Choose whichever system you prefer... I guess I hate the mounting of an external fuel bladder as well. maybe the fuel shutoff

centrifigal weight sytem attaches in there someway??

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, funny thing is, there's the mount inside the wing, but was converted outside. I can't see that it was recovored though. I was told it was the newest set up regulation, but have a hard time believing that. I thought it would screw up the flight as well. Should I cut the plane open, install it where it belongs and recover it? I was told the lines go directly to the bell. They pop on. Sounds like they will pop off just as easy..Sounds half-assed to me. What should I do? I haven't flown it yet....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It may have been changed to fit a fuel shut off.

Greg
    Regards
    Greg

Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The external black bellcrank in your first picture looks like a type widely used to prevent flyaways in the event of a line cut. This sort of device is a requirement for safety reasons at many contests. It also helps save your equipment.
    The fuel line is routed through the hole. If line tention is lost after launch, the spring will pinch the tube shutting down the engine.
    I'd guess if you searched "CL combat fuel shutoff" you might find instructions for its operation.

Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The bellcrank has a cut off built into it apperantly. There's a spring in it. It's really odd. I'm trying to search it.

Thats an H & R shutoff. The airplane originally came with internal controls. Shutoffs are now required in F2D and Fast 2D events. And in seatle (where this shutoff is manufactured) they do not allow swing arm shutoffs, so a bellcrank system must be used. They work very well (I designed this type of shutoff and H & R copied it, with my permission). I've flow airplanes with this setup and I cant really tell much difference in flying abilities. Unfortunatly, you will have to make longer lines, or just build a set of leadouts for the airplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh.. Ok, so there's no worries then. I was so confused when I got this scratching my head looking at how it was set up. I'd like to keep all my lines the same, so i'll just add lead outs for it. That way I can fly my others with the same lines. Glad to hear it will fly fine.