Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

wanting plans for a small spad c/l

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

wanting plans for a small spad c/l

Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
rayzer 13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting plans for a small spad c/l

Well I'm wanting to get back to c/l flying but I keep pusting up my birds anyone have plans for a small spad type plane that can do good loops and figure 8's, ya I know walk befor ya run but what the heck if is tough enough its only gona cost props[>:]
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wanting plans for a small spad c/l

Ebay just listed a SIG Control Line Spad for .19 -.35 engines. (No it's not mine!) I've read that they are sturdy as all get out and will do the basic manuvers, but glide like a brick when the engine quits. Good luck with the bipe idea! Justin
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a couple to try getting back into the inverted flying after a couple decades off. The TD .049 does fairly big manouvers, but the .15 sized one is ok, but not as tight loops as the real Yuvenko F2D it was traced from. I put a carbon fiber leading edge on the one Iused. Not the spar like the picture.There is also a Man Win trainer from the Balsa Beavers website that uses a Babe Bee. I doubt it stunts well. The .049 one has a wire going through the flute for stiffening. You can pick your own dimensions and experiment. I put in a pic of a 40 year old Spad Guillows kit I made as a kid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43778.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1825624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64015.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1825625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48633.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1825626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40879.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1825627  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rayzer 13

Well I'm wanting to get back to c/l flying but I keep pusting up my birds anyone have plans for a small spad type plane that can do good loops and figure 8's, ya I know walk befor ya run but what the heck if is tough enough its only gona cost props[>:]
I suspect that by "spad type", you mean something made of sign board or corrogated plastic that can be crashed without too much damage. If so, then you should check out the 'ManWin trainer" on the Balsa Beavers website - this link is to their Man Win page - the plans link is at the bottom of that page.

http://www.balsabeavers.com/newcomers/manwin/manwin.htm

The plans show 18 degrees of engine offset, which is a bit more than you need if you have any experience at all, but you can always take out offset as you get more and more comfortable. You can pound this thing into the (soft) ground all weekend, and not hurt it.

It will do basic maneuvers and inverted flight.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! When ya said "Spad." I thought "Spad biplane". Iforgot all about the crash and bash variety. Just shows how out of the loop I've been. I'm just getting back into U/C after a couple of decades off. I'm doing it the old way with Ringmasters and Shoestrings. I'm just happy that super glue and epoxy has replaced Ambroid and double coat glue joints. Welcome back tothe fold!
Justin
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
icerinkdad

Actually the Manwin trainer with a good black widdow will do all the round manuvers pretty well. With two of them you can even fly combat and not worry about breaking a plane. Lots of fun. We have worn out several Cox engines on the same plane flying them.
Have fun! Oh, just google manwin trainer and you should be able to find it.
Bob
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My .049 one was bulletproof.  The .15 one broke the CF leading edge and tank on an inverted fullspeed hit, but was otherwise ok.  They are both fairly fast.