Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Flyline RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flyline RC

I wasn't sure where to post but thought I'd ask about these here. I figured there'd be more knowledgeable resposes than under Toy-grade R/C Products since its similar to control line. It looks like the manufacturer got an idea from RTP "Round-the-Pole" flying that is perhaps more popular in Great Britain. I don't own one but was wondering if it is what I've seen in some low-res video on YouTube with what I believe are Spanish speaking participants having fun with three of them. Does anyone here own one and are they worth what Walmart or Toys-R-Us is asking? Have you done any mods to increase performance?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flyline RC

these?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhyfXyLXtf4[/youtube]
    Intentional landings WITH a PBF are not
    the intentional design OF the PBF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for responding; a bit embarrassed to say so, but yeah - those...

I know Mattel tried something like this years and years ago ('70's) with some kind of bipe but it wasn't offered very long and I vaguely remember another company with a version that allowed for multiple flyers and had the name - perhaps something like "Hot Wings?".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RTP is still around even in NA! Some good infos in that thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=346528&page=4

But that Flylinerc stuff is very neat as a complete package RTF:
    http://www.flylinerc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pardon my edit; I changed the title of this thread to be more accurate. I've only seen RTP in pictures and videos. Wikipedia says there is an annual RTP event that takes place in California but I don't remember seeing coverage for this particular event anywhere.

I've never flown RTP so I'm not an authority on the subject but I thought I'd try to explain what I think I know about it for the benefit of others that may read this info. From what I gather, these Flyline airplanes are like C/L in that they are flown within the airspace of a little bit more than a half-sphere but unlike C/L in that the operator stands outside the circle and controls elevator and throttle with an R/C transmitter. Wind is most likely an issue for stability as slack in the "line" cannot be taken out by the operator even though there would be no (R/C) control loss. I assume traditional RTP is similar to this scenario albiet using a mechanical means for remote control which is closer to the purity that control line represents.

Are these airplanes able to perform stunts (loops and wing-overs) like the mfg claims? Their video shows the airplanes performing stunts but only with computer simulation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They probably perform as the manufacturer stated.

RTP has been around for a while. Guillows 500 series [link]http://www.guillow.com/Series500BalsaKits.aspx[/link] are designed to fly RTP with a Cox .020 (0.33 ci) Pee Wee reed valve engine (or electric motor equivalent) and a single line to a pole.

The Sterling "M" kit series of planes with a nominal wingspan of 20 to 24 inches (508 - 610 mm) were designed to use the Cox Pee Wee .020 engine, were built like free flight stick and tissue, could be flown CL, FF and RTP. For RTP, they used a larger vertically oriented CL bellcrank with spacing of a CL handle with a bracket that was pinned (nail) to a pole driven into the ground standing several feet above the ground. CL lines from the plane were connected to the pole bellcrank. Once flying, the pole bellcrank would turn with the model. If model climbed, the vertically stationary pole bellcrank would cause a little down elevator to be applied. If it sunk, a little up elevator would be applied. Basically it was self regulating, especially in the presence of light wind.

Another setup that was available in the early 1960's was a remote CL lever outside the CL circle with linkage to an articulated CL pole bellcrank, which in turn the CL lines from the plane were connected to. It would allow one to fly the CL plane while outside the circle.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some years back there was an article in one of the magazines about flying an 020 airplane from a rotating circle on top of a pole. A servo to the control lines, a receiver, and a battery were mounted on top of the circle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim, that's an interesting concept, more than one way to skin a cat. [8D]

AFAIK now that the AMA has approved use of 2.4 GHz RC for CL functions in contests, we most likely should be seeing more RC equipment being made available.
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen a complete video online that guides user to increase the performance by different mods, but I have not tried it yet. Therefore, I have no personal experience to share. However, I will share it soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All of the control line speed events are round the pole. I have been thinking maybe they should be flown from outside the circle since no one can run fast enough to keep up with them anymore. RC would work, but would be hard to fit inside the little planes, and the vibration would hurt them. There is a 'Revolution System' for flying outside the circle with a .35 and smaller size motor. I would like to see a video of it. The little micro foamies would work with some tipweight and noseweight in a gym much like the above video. I put some pics of my Cox control line leckie as it is somewhat related. It isn't able to loop. The Flyline one seems much better. It could maybe be improved with two batteries, but would likely burn out something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16798.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	1841818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78404.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	1841819  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rather than fitting inside the planes, I think a good place would be at the pole. Have a powerful enough servo to control the handle.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya, like on a monoline handle would work.  They kind of suck though, they are not very precise.  They can barely do level flight sometimes.  Two line would be fine for most planes, but not the speed stuff. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sure there is a way to do it. The servo has reduction gears, usually limiting travel to (+) and (-) 45 degrees. If one were to modify the gearing where it could exceed that, I could see how it could control a monoline system.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Everyone,

My name is Justin and I handle all of the consumer-side interaction for Creative Play International, the company that brings you FlyLine. I would like to open myself up to any specific questions you have about our product, and I appreciate the interest you have shown. We will be making a great deal of changes in 2013 to compensate for things that we learned as a new product in 2012.

I will happily answer all of your questions openly and honestly, so feel free to ask whatever is on your mind.

Thanks again

-Justin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool, a manufacturer.  Like the original poster asked, what is the suggested price, and where are they available?  For the future, Maybe a bigger one would be cool.  It looks pretty good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I stand corrected, aspeed.

AMA 2013-2014 CL Competition Regulations, 2. General: The use of 2.4 GHz (utilizing spread spectrum, 47 CFR Part 15) radio control to accomplish functions other than providing aerodynamic control of the model’s elevation on Control Line models is allowed, but only to the extent and in the manner specifically allowed by the rules of the individual event. All control functions must be under the direct control of the pilot and only the pilot.
    Elevator control is not allowed in competition, to include CL speed events.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder if a servo to twist the line at the handle would be allowed, without using a radio.  Gear drives had been used in the past but didn't work well especially on smaller planes.  Monoline handles aren't being made any more because only a handful of people use them, maybe three handfuls at the most.