Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ringmaster Junior Repairs

An old Ringmaster Junior was damaged in the last move and just prior, toddler damage. (I allowed a friend's toddler to handle it, then he got curious and found the wing ribs are fun to crush with his fingers. By the time his dad got a hold of him, a half dozen ribs were broken. No biggy, stuff happens.)

Some time back shortly after the accident, I removed the wing covering top is selective places and pieced back those ribs I could. Now, it was time to finish repairs. I scanned the original Sterling instructions 1/4 size plan view and elevation using my HP scanner, creating a PDF. then I used pdfprint, a Linux program in Ubuntu to scale the PDF to full size and tile it. Selectively printing out tiles with the fuselage wing opening and rudder, I pieced these together.

I further removed covering to expose the broken and missing ribs. Then I measured the leading edge, trailing edge, lead out openings and spar location from the model's wing, marking them on the wing opening to make a master rib template. I then cut out the rudder and rib template, splitting the template in 2 for clearing the lead out wires and spar.

Next, I used a glue stick to temporarily fasten the templates to balsa. The rib I cut was used to clone 2 more ribs. Trimming to size and using a 3M rubber sanding block with both coarse and fine sandpaper, I contoured the new ribs to match the profile of the wing. Now the wing is structurally sound again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz79771.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1839199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10361.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1839200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35943.jpg 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	1839201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In25906.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1839202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq43810.jpg 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	1839203  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny27960.jpg 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1839204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fw28100.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1839205  
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ringmaster Junior Repairs

Nice job. It goes without saying that with any of us who enjoys sharing our hobby, stuff will happen - it's just part of the fun. Where would we be without goodrebuilding skills and the creativity to adapt to the task at hand? Thanks for sharing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Lone Star. Yes I have to agree, one can't blame a 2 year old for being curious. Repairs are a normal way of life for model fliers (at least for me, I've proven the laws of gravity and physics many times ).

I've got the empennage parts recreated. These are in 1/8" thick balsa. The old stabilizer was of lighter wood, but since I have a nose heavy airplane with the OS .15FP-S, any additional rear weight to offset is welcome. The rudder wood grain is going the wrong direction, but the wood is stiff enough that it should still suffice. The 1/2-A "Horny Hinge Points" (Klett?) are reusable, as the stabilizer portion could easily be pulled from the elevator. (Wood in stab was softer than in the elevator.)

Name:	Sq45971.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1839256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi22280.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1839257  
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice thread.

I would like to share my "stuff happens" moment! I invited a friend of mine to come assist me launch my CL aircraft one day. He was an avid R/Cer and found C/L interesting. Like many, he had never seen a large C/L aircraft fly successfully. I had several planes lined up in my pit area. I had him launch one of my modern combat designs and needless to say he was very surprised by the power and performance. In his excitement watching the plane, he was stepping backward, not watching where he was walking. He proceeded to step on, the fall upon my Sig Twister Stunter!
    Needless to say it was destroyed.

Oh the memories. This thread reminded me of that moment. But like it has been said, No Biggie.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fortunately VG, if it is the .15 sized kit I'm thinking of, Sig's price is very reasonable and fortunately it is a quick build. Yes, stuff happens, and we can smile, shake hands and build relationships. If your friend decides to fly CL, then you have another flying buddy.

13 Jan 2013 - My mistake, the Twister is the larger brother to the Akromaster, which I was thinking of. Wingspan 48 in (1,219 mm), Wing Area 490 inΒ² (31.6 dmΒ²), Engines .29 - .40 inΒ³ (4.8 - 6.6 cmΒ³). That's a decent sized CL plane.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good! Keep those old birds flying.
    MidAtlanticCombat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Don. Trucking right along, have the wing almost completely repaired. Just a side note. The plane is nose heavy. I did a little reconnoitering. To balance her at the first lead out due to the heavy OS Max .15FP-S, I'll need to add about 1.25 oz. lead in the tail. If I shorten the nose 1 inch, that drops to 0.75 oz.

I guess I could replace it with an unmuffled OS Max .10 cross scavenged baffle piston. But then I'd most likely have to fly on shorter lines at this higher elevation.

Name:	Hf99336.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1841292  
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

George,

The repaired wing looks great.

Are you sure of your estimation of the revised tail weight? I would think that taking an inch out of the nose would be shortening it by about one quarter. I would think it would affect the balance by more than half an ounce.

How did you arrive at your figures?

Regards

Greg
    Regards
    Greg

Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Simple weights and moments calculation, Greg and I am just ball parking things for now. I figured the center of the cylinder is about where the engine weight is concentrated, muffler included. From there to CG (1st lead out) is 5". To tail location where I'd put weight, 13". Weight of engine with muffler is about 6 oz. Weight of legacy CL .15 engines without muffler was about 3 oz. So I figured about 3 oz. to compensate for.

3 oz x 5 in = 15 in-oz / 13 in = 1.15 oz, equal to about five 1/4 oz. lead weights. I was able to get it to roughly balance using a pair of stainless steel 8" long scissors with 3" long cutting blades.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

George,

My current Ringmaster Junior is the newer version with sheeted wings. I like the older version better. In any case, the plans for mine show a top view of the wing for assembly. I built mine to include the space between the wing halves, extending the wingspan and adding a few square inches. Mine is powered (as we discussed on another thread) by an unmuffled Enya .09.

I did this also on my newer Akromaster. Power is a TT .10 CL with muffler. My (very) old Akromaster is powered by a muffled Fox .15X.

I increased the wing area to help support the extra engine and muffler weight.

Since your RM Jr. is using an engine with more than twice the power of the old Cubs and Camerons, I would suggest you use a pushrod guide about half way between the bellcrank and control horn to prevent the pushrod from flexing on full up elevator. A clipped-off paper clip should work as a retrofit.

Repairs look excellent!

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good advice, George, I'll put that midway pushrod guide you mention of, makes sense. Your adding wing area also makes sense. Another told me that the OS .15FP puts out enough power to run the full size Ringmaster 42" on it. I'm thinking that my old long gone Sterling 38" profile P-51 would have been a good match for it.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another good match for that engine is the profile Peacemaker that George Aldrich made for Aeromodeler. It was powered by a Oliver Tiger .15 and is sized between the Flite Streak Junior and the full size Flite Streak. It has a slightly smaller aspect ratio than the Flite Streaks.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found it here, George: [link]http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1633[/link]

Yes, that would be a good pick, somewhat resembles a Flite Streak.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the tail feathers glued in, now awaiting elevator mounting and touch up trim painting.

Name:	Ge96234.jpg 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1842795  
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Ringmaster Junior is complete except for touch up paint. I added weight to the rear of the plane to compensate for the heavier OS Max .15FP-S engine and muffler, and George's suggested wire guide to prevent the pushrod from bowing when full up elevator is given. Perhaps later I may modify the front to shorten the nose and reduce the amount of lead weight fastened to the tail.

Name:	Ge94042.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1843402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx74228.jpg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	1843403  
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK now lets get her up and flying with lots of photos.

I have the .10LA on my Ring Jr so no weight added to the rear.

Name:	Tr50085.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1843485  
    MidAtlanticCombat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice looking RMJ, Don. [8D] I looked at the specs for both engines. The 15FP-S weighs an ounce more than the 15LA-S. Looking at an early picture of your plane, looks like you're using either a really short tongue muffler or none, which drops the weight another ounce, so you're 2 ounces less in front than mine.

I've got 52' lines in both Spectra and cable and the AMA compliant handle, fuel, starting battery, etc. Only thing I lack is the stooge. That is my next project. Today is perfectly calm (unusual for Clovis), I don't have a flying buddy (yet). Yes, these things were made to fly and I hope to have a flight report sometime soon.

This Spring I've got an appointment with the CL fliers in Albuquerque, shooting for a fleet ready of fliers to bring. [8D]
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ringmaster Jr. with final touch up paint.

Name:	Vs55834.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1846200  
    George Hostler