Ringmaster Junior Repairs
An old Ringmaster Junior was damaged in the last move and just prior, toddler damage. (I allowed a friend's toddler to handle it, then he got curious and found the wing ribs are fun to crush with his fingers. By the time his dad got a hold of him, a half dozen ribs were broken. No biggy, stuff happens.)
Some time back shortly after the accident, I removed the wing covering top is selective places and pieced back those ribs I could. Now, it was time to finish repairs. I scanned the original Sterling instructions 1/4 size plan view and elevation using my HP scanner, creating a PDF. then I used pdfprint, a Linux program in Ubuntu to scale the PDF to full size and tile it. Selectively printing out tiles with the fuselage wing opening and rudder, I pieced these together.
I further removed covering to expose the broken and missing ribs. Then I measured the leading edge, trailing edge, lead out openings and spar location from the model's wing, marking them on the wing opening to make a master rib template. I then cut out the rudder and rib template, splitting the template in 2 for clearing the lead out wires and spar.
Next, I used a glue stick to temporarily fasten the templates to balsa. The rib I cut was used to clone 2 more ribs. Trimming to size and using a 3M rubber sanding block with both coarse and fine sandpaper, I contoured the new ribs to match the profile of the wing. Now the wing is structurally sound again.