Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cox Apache CL Helicopter "Heavy Hub"

Managed to misplace the "heavy hub" (prop nut/balancing weight) for a Cox Apache helicopter. Anyone have a spare or know what they used?

TIA!

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apache Heavy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	825.4 KB 
ID:	1909602  
    The hardest part of gaining any new idea is sweeping out the false idea occupying that niche. - Robert Heinlein

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maybe you can find one of the Harry Higley Heavy Hubs for Cox engines. Your local hobby shop, if there is one, might have it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
    Maybe you can find one of the Harry Higley Heavy Hubs for Cox engines. Your local hobby shop, if there is one, might have it.
    Thanks Jim. The Higley Heavy Hubs are for .20 and larger engines according to their catalog, and don't go as small as the Cox shafts ... I wonder id Du-Bro sold this or a similar hub at some point?

Dennis
    The hardest part of gaining any new idea is sweeping out the false idea occupying that niche. - Robert Heinlein

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a couple of the Higley 049 heavy hubs. I'll see if I can find them in my 1/2A stuff.

I have found one. If I can find the other one you can have it. The heavy hub is a piece of (I think, did not test with magnet) plated 1/2 inch brass hex stock. The front end is rounded, and a 5-40 setscrew is inserted in the flat back, for screwing into the crank. It weighs 1/2 oz.
    Last edited by Jim Thomerson; 08-20-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Another old school solution that can be done is to remove the Sure Start .049 spring starter assembly and wrap lead solder (used in electrical work and plumbing) around the front shaft of the crankcase.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16