Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stinson Reliant from 1947 Mechanix Illustrated

I was thinking about ordering this model plan from AMA plan services but had one question. Does anyone know if this has a built-up (out of balsa or other wood) cowl or is it metal? If it is metal, was the cowl from one of the model manufactures of the day or was there a patern for it on the plan? The reason I ask is because a saw a very blurry picture of it on ebay and it looked metal to me. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Anyone?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That I couldn't answer, 64stang. Usually cowling would be constructed unless it was a kit. Is there any importance to whether the cowl is a premanufactured one or not? I'd think the plans would indicate the construction thereof. Since AFAIK the cowl had rocker arm cover dimples on it, they would be difficult to duplicate in metal stamping of the day. Since this was offered as a magazine scratch build, I'd think it would be built up, may have had a sheet metal component to it such as Walt Musciano used to do for the "barrel" portion.

You've selected a neat scale cabin to model though. I've always liked the lines of the Reliant.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Stang I can remember even up to more recent years before Sig was sold in stock listings for 3 inch spun aluminum spinners likely for Half A or thereabouts. Of course late forties was just a little before Sigs time but I can also remember those wonderful of full page ads at the start of all the model magazines by Polks in New York and do recall those cool old line drawing in the big ad of smaller spun alum cowls.

Another place was Reginald Dennys on Hollywood Blvd I remember in the fifties them selling a variety alum cowls. Also many of the Dennyplanes from the late fortys featured alum cowls.

So let us know what the plans show when you get them I am curious too. For the Stinson Gullwing rocker bumps could have been added as carvings. At any rate a simple cowl would not be to difficult to fabricate out balsa etc.

John
    Last edited by JohnBuckner; 09-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    John, I have that cowl purchased from Sig in the '90s and I believe it was for the 31 inch span Berkeley AT-6 Texan:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=361

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	361.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1915520
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stinson trimotor 10 002.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1915661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stinson trimotor 10 004.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1915662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowel Aluminum (2).JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	1915663

Yup George thats the little fella, Seems like the same was used on Sigs Profile Staggerwing Beech also.

Here are some spun aluminium four inchers I used on my Stinson Trimotor and three five inchers that I have not found a home for yet.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Actually I've found that if one scouts around the house will find candidates for radial cowls. I used a GNC vitamins supplement bottle for a cowl on my Ringmaster Baby Gee Bee Z variant with Gilbert .07 engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Ringmaster GBZ Variant.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1915669  
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Agreed but I have a preference for the beauty of the polished aluminum.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    True. Sterling used to have nice spun aluminum cowls with their earlier CL kits, like the 33" Waco Cabin biplane. One could purchase spares from Sterling. However without such, one is left to fabricate their own. Probably the best would be of fiberglass. There's more than one way to do it.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My original plans for the Stinson Reliant (M.I. Plan # 384 fr0m 1947) shows a 2 3/4" cowling identified as "Aluminum or balsa cowling. This construction article is one oof the first published by Cal Smith.