Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

OS .10 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default OS .10 Trainer

I have been off work for the past 2 and 1//2 weeks from surgery. Seeing through the slits of my fat eyelids was no longer an option. Yesterday the eye doc cleared me to go back to work this Monday. I drive for a living these days and had to have a written clearance.

So I have been working on one plane or another off and on. Got some rib templates made for 2 different CL planes and rib templates for a new wing for my RC funny wing plane. And even made the ribs for it. Only left my DNA on the ribs maybe 6 times. Simply could not tell the template from the rib stock and way to stupid (and bored) to wait.

So I have templates rib templates made for a scratch build stunter of my own design. 12x50 inch wing.

But what I want to show you is the little trainer plane I Started on 2 days ago.
I have not flown a CL since sometime in the early 90s and thus feel the need to for a trainer that I am willing to loose.

I intend to blaspheme and put a 2.4 ghz radio on both trainer and the 50 inch stunter for throttle.

I was digging around on the shelve of a closet and found some forgotten parts, 2 stabalizers, one that was for twin engine RC plane and pretty decent size and the other come off an old slope glider and much smaller.

I like to re purpose things and after the light bulb came on in my head.

So what I have is the big stab is the wing for my little trainer. It was 8x20" so I added 2.5 inch tips to it for a 25 " wing. That gives me 200 square inches. Seems kind of right to me for a .10. The little stab is the stab. I used only stock I had on hand.
IMG_2423_zps0f32f2d2.jpg?t=1367698639
One fuse doubler (inside one) is epoxied on. And the engine bearers epoxied in, they are just spruce, and the fuse doublers are 1/8 lite ply. But I think that will be enough to hold that little motor. The fuse is 1/4 light balsa. The wing (old stab) is 1/4 inch stock that was framed up then sheeted with 1/16 sheet balsa. plenty strong for the wight. So the wing is is a 3/8 flate plate foil. But this is a trainer and dang near free so far.

I am real close to a major stop point now as I am out of building stuff. Used the last of my epoxy. And since I lost so much time from a pay check I can't buy more supplies till the end of the month. But I do what I can with what I have till then.

There are other projects I can on work some till then. So next month should see activity on several fronts.

Now I have no clue where around here I can fly the CLs when they are built. I will cross that bridge later.

Ken
IMG_2424_zps112f8592.jpg?t=1367698753

IMG_2427_zpsf9beec95.jpg?t=1367699248

IMG_2428_zpscf4e3604.jpg?t=1367699299

IMG_2429_zps8046a611.jpg?t=1367699345

IMG_2430_zps4552b37e.jpg?t=1367699393

Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: OS .10 Trainer

Looks good.  After you fly 10 laps you will realize it comes back like riding a bicycle. I have no trouble after 20 years except inverted flying trips me up with the F2D combat stuff.  It is faster than my brain and reflexes.  Fun though. Then you will want to make the elevator three times the size like a Clown's. 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 PM
flyingagin

Thanks aspeed

The last time I I flew CL after a long break from it, I felt comfortable before the end of the first tank. Hopefully it will come be the same this. But I am a heck of a lot older this time. We will see.

I am going to increase the elevator but limit it's throw to start with. I want to be able to do basic manuvers with it.

Ken
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 PM
flyingagin

I found a 3” bell crank In sever parts drawers. Yep several drawers. The parts add up to one complete 3” nylon bell rank. Since it is going to mount to the outside of the wing(8” chord) I think I will go with it. I can always seriously reduce the elevator throw, or crank it up later.

On a side note I have the ribs for the 50 inch stunter almost done. I need to tweak the spar slots a bit.

Ken
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM
flyingagin

Went back to work, so all my projects slowed down. But I did get some down on this lttle guy.

Bell crank mount plates (1/8" light ply) have been added on both side of the wing. They butt up flush with the fuse (inboard edge), mounting on the inside wing. Bell crank and elebator control horn mounted.

Made my lead out guide. 2 brass tubes epoxied to a length of light ply. I will mount it with two screws thru 2 slots so as to have an adjustable leadout guide.

Put light spackling on the wing to fair in the bell crank mount plates and wing tips.

I have to buy a piece of piano wire to bend up some landing gear struts. I think 3/32" might be about right. Will have to get a pair of small wheels, maybe 1.5"?

I am thinking I will make 2 struts (opposite sides) and use nylon gear straps to hold them on. And have the top go halve into a brass tube that goes thru the fuse. Hard to explain but when I make the gear I will post a picture.

Ken

Edit
I found these on Brodak.http://brodak.com/control-line-parts...ding-gear.html

Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM
flyingagin

I started covering, I used some realy old off brand cote. So not a great job, but it will do. I pulled a dumb dumb and started with the iron to hot for this brand of cote, but I lowered the temp and the covering improved.

<o></o>

The stab is just placed in the fuse, not yet glued.

Ken
Well can't link or post pics

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
flyingagin

Let's try those pics again

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19875.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1882021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86713.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1882022  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Ken, it looks good. You're making faster progress than I am on my ".10" powered Cessna 177. (Enya .09-III is actually 0.098 ci.)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 AM
flyingagin

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Ken, it looks good. You're making faster progress than I am on my ".10" powered Cessna 177. (Enya .09-III is actually 0.098 ci.)
Thanks GG I ahve been following yourCessna 177

But I still have to make a handle. Sounds fast a simple, But I must be bain damage (breathed to much glow exaust maybe) as I never take the fast easy way.
I am going to mount a 2.4 TX on top of the handle with a romovable (quick change) line holder on front that will have adjustable line spacing and centering for the line. Yes 1 line that loops ftom top to bottom and back to the plane. the line holder front end will have the whole length of line (both up and down) from plane to handel. I am going with Spectra.
Will post on to night after work

Ken

Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 PM
flyingagin

I ordered the landing gear struts and the lead outs today.

Now I have to order the 2.4 gear transmitter and receiver here
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15141__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_USA_Ware house_.html
rx only wighs 5 grams
Will cut the bottom half off of tx and mount to top of control handle
I am thinking this flight battery
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24218__Turnigy_nano_tech_180mAh_2S_25C_Lipo_Pack _E_flite_micro_series_compatible_USA_Warehouse_.ht ml
It is only 180ma but wighs a mere 11.5 grams. I use to fly small gliders with only a 250ma nicad. Had plenty of flighttime
And this servo for throttle
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36731__Power_HD_Servo_9g_1_5kg_0_11sec_USA_Wareh ouse_.html
9 grams
That is a total of 25.5 grams. Under an ounce, .9 ounces.
I have to go to the local hardware store and buy the stuff to make the handle and the get some spectra fishing line.
Ken
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
flyingagin

I am going to do something like this for the handle. But have the front (the line part) interchangeable for different line sets. I will just use a single line that loops through the handle front and thus 2 ends at the plane. It will be a hard point handle front end(s)
Ken

Name:	Sn41255.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1882955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92636.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1882956  
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
GallopingGhostler

Nice looking solution there, Ken and neat work. Having throttle on it is a throwback to a friend's Testor P-26 with throttled .049 Wen Mac during the early 1970's. Had a third line on a ring slipped over the middle finger to control throttle.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 AM
flyingagin

Hi CG
I flew throttle set ups when I was young with a 3 line J Robert handle and bell crank. worked ok, And added that extra dimension of control, but also a lot of extra line drag and wight on the inboard side.

So this is kind of a throw back to that, but also a big step forward by getting rid of the extra line.

Sorry I did not mean to imply that the control handle pictured was mine. I found the pictures of that handle on another site and decided to file it future reference. I was just trying to show some thing of how I intend to make my handle. Again sorry for the confusion, I should have stated it was just a picture that I was going to emulate to a degree.

I apologize to any one I confused.

Ken

Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 AM
flyingagin

I used paint to show that I am going to make the front part of the handle removable. Quick change by using a uper and lower 1/4 20 stud and wing nuts along with a keying pin (so you can't put the lines on upside down) . That way one handle but indevidual line holders for each plane. Also at the end of fly I can just wrap the lines around the line holder for storage.

Ken

Name:	By76678.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1883130  
Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 PM
flyingagin

My landing gear struts and lead out cable came to day, but they will keep till the weekend.I am just to beat after work.

Also this morning before work I ordered the transmitter and battery I linked to above. It should be here friday. For the throttle servo I am going to use a Futaba s133.

I made some drawings of the handle construction, but they are more scribble than anything else. But when I build it I will post.

More this weekend.

Ken
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
flyingagin

II Test mounted the landing gear struts today. I still need to buy wheels.

I also epoxied the wing and stab in.<o></o>

That is all for today.<o></o>

The adjustable lead out guide still needs to be mounted, and the lead out cable made up.<o></o>

Now that the wing is epoxied in I can cover it.<o></o>

This weekend I will install the radio if my shipment arrives in time.<o></o>

At that point the plane itself is done I think.<o></o>

Then it is charge ahead on the 2.4 ghz handle.<o></o>

Ken<o></o>

Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 PM
flyingagin

The wing and stab are epoxied on now.
Still waiting for the radio.

Ken

Name:	Nl28254.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1885250  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 PM
GallopingGhostler

It's looking good, Ken.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM
flyingagin

All covering done. The red is some real old off brand (CRAP) stuff, A little screaming at it and it is an ok but not great cover job.

Next complete the controls.

Ken

Name:	Rp42836.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1885364  
Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Seems about the same color of red as on my Ringmaster Jr. That is Hobby Shack Flitecoat, a low temp covering similar to Econokote. It was not the best stuff, but it was cost effective and still worked.

Anyway, plane looks fantastic. I'm sure it will be a good performer as a trainer.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM
flyingagin

Yeah I am sure you are correct. I used to live 10 minuts from a store. I did not remember it being such a pain. I think because what I have is so darn old that make it worse.

It is even worse to remove. Holy cow it is frustrating to remove.

Bu as a trainer I think you are right. It will do the job just fine. Particulary as I will be able to slow down and even land if I get dizzy. But it also should be able to do the basic round manuvers. That always helps to keep the noggin stable.

Ken
Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
flyingagin

Het a question for you George

I have a little 2 ounce clunk tank. Think that is enough?

Ken
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

2 oz. is definitely sufficient. I'm using a 2 oz. on my Ringmaster Jr. with an OS Max .15FP-S.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
flyingagin

Cool then

Ken
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
flyingagin

I got a little more work done on the plane today.

I had to shift the landing gear struts slightly as the out board strut was hitting the muffler and it also sat a bit low. So now the gear clears the muffler, and sits taller.
The wheel axle holes were bigger than the wire struts, so a cut a piece of brass tubing (from a clunk tank fitting) and sleeved it over the axle. Perfect fit for the wheels.
The other landing gear change I made was to add 2 brass sleeves into the fuse where the top bend plugs into the fuse. The struts were twisting back and forth. Just not tight enough fit into the sides of the fuse. So I cut (to the width of the fuse) another piece of the tube I used for the wheels and inserted the top bend into it. And to make that stronger that tubing piece is sleeved inside the next size up tube from it. The gear is now very solid.
The other accomplishment was making up the lead out cables. The cable ends wrap around a eyelet and into a little brass crimp tube. I then crimp the tube real hard. One more thing I did to make absolutely certain there could not be any slippage, was to tightly bend the left over end back over the crimp tube, and wrapped it with some bare copper wire and the solder it. The soldering is only on the outside of the crimp tube. I did the same thing at the bell crank except there are no eyelets.
The lead outs are of unequal lengths. No possibility of the lines hanging on each other. The center on the lines will be offset equally. The picture fails to clearly show it but each lead out is in a separate brass guide tube. The pencils show the difference in lead out cable lengths at neutral.

I forgot to buy 2/56 threaded ball links, so I can’t do the elevator push rod yet.
I am still waiting for the radio to arrive. SO there is not to much I can do with the 2.4 ghz handle build nor can I install the planes radio gear.
SO I am now dead in the water.

Ken

Can't post pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.