Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Paint help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 AM
ksn3n3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint help needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus.

building a Sterling 1/2A CL scale Fokker D VII from plans. Have it covered with Brodak silkspan, which I'm very happy with, but not happy with the Brodak dope, and thinking of switching to something else before I get any farther along.

What is everybody using for paint (fuel proof) these days?

aerogloss out of business, Formula U same, perfect/chevron same.

thanks,
Frank
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Sig still sells dope, that would be my first choice. I use Randolph from Wicks Aircraft.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 AM
ksn3n3

Thanks Jim. I'm starting to figure out that humidity is probably my problem. Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Jim Thomerson

Wicks has an on line catalog. I don't know how small amounts they sell as I have only bought quarts of various clears. They sell a retarder. I have used Sig retarder with good results. I generally add a little bit to start with. With blushing happens, I sometimes brush on pure retarder which solves the problem.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
ksn3n3

Thanks Jim. Good ideas
Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Lone Star Charles

Originally Posted by ksn3n3
Thanks Jim. I'm starting to figure out that humidity is probably my problem. Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.
High humidity will certainly cause blushing in dopes. It is not a problem at all. Just wait until dry (24 hr.) and spray a coat of dope thinner over the surface and let dry. That will release all of the trapped moisture and return the gloss.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:43 PM
ksn3n3

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.
I buy mine from Aircraft Spruce. They carry Randolph dope available in butyrate and nitrate tautening and non-tautening in quart quantities (smaller quantities will have to come from a hobby supplier). If you buy quarts, there will be no haz-mat shipping fee attached. Just use their search function for butyrate or nitrate.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hossfly

Any dope, in any humidity above 50% +/-, will give one Heck if one does NOT use a "retarder" in the mix. Retarder slows the drying. Here in SE TX even in summer, (especially with the normal high humidity) retarder is definitely required. In winter, same!

Brodak and Sig are Randolph. I have used several aircraft varities and all require some retarder. My shelves now harbor Brodak, as it seems to do better. Brodak spent a lot of time and money getting Randolph to use his formula, some years ago.

Last edited by Hossfly; 10-07-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Brodak Dope. It has alot more pigment in it & needs to be cut with more thinner than some of the other brands. I can get even the light colors to cover usually in one pass with the air gun. I now use it exclusively with excellent results on my models. I have a build thread going on RC Groups in the control line forum under" Brodak Shoestring build", where i am useing all Brodak paint over silkspan. ( i guess i can say that on here)....Gene
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Aerogloss was thinned to consistency for brushing out of the bottle. My Sig bottles are getting old but if Sig is still the same, it requires cutting with thinner for use.