Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Paint help needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus.

building a Sterling 1/2A CL scale Fokker D VII from plans. Have it covered with Brodak silkspan, which I'm very happy with, but not happy with the Brodak dope, and thinking of switching to something else before I get any farther along.

What is everybody using for paint (fuel proof) these days?

aerogloss out of business, Formula U same, perfect/chevron same.

thanks,
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If Sig still sells dope, that would be my first choice. I use Randolph from Wicks Aircraft.

Thanks Jim. I'm starting to figure out that humidity is probably my problem. Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wicks has an on line catalog. I don't know how small amounts they sell as I have only bought quarts of various clears. They sell a retarder. I have used Sig retarder with good results. I generally add a little bit to start with. With blushing happens, I sometimes brush on pure retarder which solves the problem.

Thanks Jim. Good ideas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ksn3n3 View Post
    Thanks Jim. I'm starting to figure out that humidity is probably my problem. Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.
    High humidity will certainly cause blushing in dopes. It is not a problem at all. Just wait until dry (24 hr.) and spray a coat of dope thinner over the surface and let dry. That will release all of the trapped moisture and return the gloss.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Brodak dope is made by Randolph so it should be compatible. Does Wicks sell hobbiest quantities? I don't want to buy a gallon. Would prefer smaller than a quart if possible.
    I buy mine from Aircraft Spruce. They carry Randolph dope available in butyrate and nitrate tautening and non-tautening in quart quantities (smaller quantities will have to come from a hobby supplier). If you buy quarts, there will be no haz-mat shipping fee attached. Just use their search function for butyrate or nitrate.
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Any dope, in any humidity above 50% +/-, will give one Heck if one does NOT use a "retarder" in the mix. Retarder slows the drying. Here in SE TX even in summer, (especially with the normal high humidity) retarder is definitely required. In winter, same!

Brodak and Sig are Randolph. I have used several aircraft varities and all require some retarder. My shelves now harbor Brodak, as it seems to do better. Brodak spent a lot of time and money getting Randolph to use his formula, some years ago.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 10-07-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

“Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    +1 on the Brodak Dope. It has alot more pigment in it & needs to be cut with more thinner than some of the other brands. I can get even the light colors to cover usually in one pass with the air gun. I now use it exclusively with excellent results on my models. I have a build thread going on RC Groups in the control line forum under" Brodak Shoestring build", where i am useing all Brodak paint over silkspan. ( i guess i can say that on here)....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Aerogloss was thinned to consistency for brushing out of the bottle. My Sig bottles are getting old but if Sig is still the same, it requires cutting with thinner for use.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16