Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

advice for returning

First, thank you all !
    It's been a WHILE since I last flew C.L(1978) however I spotted a Beutifull bird on "outerzone" the cougar(love cougars, own 2 cars by that name, and next RC will be SIG Kougar)
    among my questions are about engines, plans call for . 19., Wondering about the K&B .18 or FOX .15, seems if I build w/o flaps the .15 may be a good choice (short tail moment). The biggest concern is tank size for either engine. I will be using RC style clunk type (round) so that I can keep it inside fuslage.
    will post pic's of progress this eve.

P.S. the blue met. monokote is almost a perfect match to my currant FOMOCO driver!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pic's of fus. formers. and one very sexy car!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cougar parts.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1942361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88 cougar.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	19423621988 Merc. Cougar/ 1950'ish CL cougar of British design

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I built one. It flew it very nicely with CS Oliver 15 and Taipan 15 size diesels. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I would think a Fox 15 would be a little puny for a 45" stunter. Unless it's a later Schneurle ported version. Jim's 15 dieasels swing pretty big props with no drama.

Good luck with it and welcome back into the circle.

Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    K&B18 will need 2oz tank to do full pattern, or 2.5oz to be on the safe side.

Aki

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Greggles47: as I am just returning to the C.L arena I'm not going to be including flaps, just a sport plane for now, shoot never flew w/flaps as a kid anyway, Maybe after a while I'll build a bigger kit w/flaps and try my luck. Also fly in the r.c arena and ailerons are close enouph at this time(kinda have to have them)
    Thanks for the input

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2377.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	1957835Well, started the wing, (point of no return,ha! ha! ) a few shots, kind of using what I've got to get it straight ,considering the only length of wood avail. locally is 36"
    I'm not THAT old, but I was tasked as loadmaster for Noah's ark!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here is a picture of a picture of my Cougar. I ran 9 x 5 props on those engines. First time to put a photo on under the new organization.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010275.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1958063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010755.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	1958066  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll watch along as you build. I was away from C/L myself for about 40 years and came back too. Started out flying arfs then moved on into a few builds. I dont know why it took me so long to get back ....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's a beauty Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
    Here is a picture of a picture of my Cougar. I ran 9 x 5 props on those engines. First time to put a photo on under the new organization.
    Beautiful plane, Jim, wondered which one it was and found it on Outerzone http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2628

Love what it states:
    Cougar - Control line flapped stunter. This is a modern redrawn plan in PDFvector format. Quote: "If you do decide to use the plan it is a tracing from the original scan so please take care. The Cougar was designed by T. Stoker for use in the 1956 Gold Trophy but had fuel feed problems on the day (not an uncommon occurrence I know). She has a wingspan of 45" and is designed with a motor of .19 to .29 in mind. All in all a beautiful example of the British Stunter in vogue at that time - before the Fox 35 ruled the roost."
    Thanks for bringing back a part of history, and I imagine it will be a really nice flier, more than capable of the complete AMA pattern. Also looks like it would be an ideal candidate for my Enya .19-V CL engine.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by thewoff View Post
    First, thank you all !
    It's been a WHILE since I last flew C.L(1978) however I spotted a Beutifull bird on "outerzone" the cougar(love cougars, own 2 cars by that name, and next RC will be SIG Kougar)
    among my questions are about engines, plans call for . 19., Wondering about the K&B .18 or FOX .15, seems if I build w/o flaps the .15 may be a good choice (short tail moment). The biggest concern is tank size for either engine. I will be using RC style clunk type (round) so that I can keep it inside fuslage.

P.S. the blue met. monokote is almost a perfect match to my currant FOMOCO driver!!!!!!
    Nice to read your next rc will be a SIG Kougar. I love those birds. Built four of them in total, first one in the early 80's. Here's a pix of my most recent SIG Kougar in 2013.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01237.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1965747

Keep us posted on how your SIG Kougar build progresses

ESky 3in1

, Wondering about the K&B .18 or FOX .15, seems if I build w/o flaps the .15 may be a good choice (short tail moment). The biggest concern is tank size for either engine. I will be using RC style clunk type (round) so that I can keep it inside fuslage.

ESky 3in1