Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

need ideas on spray bar for a magnum XLS

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

need ideas on spray bar for a magnum XLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need ideas on spray bar for a magnum XLS

I have come across a magnum 36 XLS, that i want to use on a c/l, it has the rear remote n/v assy mounted at the rear but i need the spray bar that goes across the venturi.Can someone give me some ideas on how to create one, or where might i buy a piece that might work.Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Last edited by jayseas; 12-13-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:02 PM
jayseas

No one has any ideas?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I make up my own on a lathe. I just turn down a diameter to .154" and chase an 8-32 thread on it. That is the most common size. A nipple is turned on the back and drilled about half way through, and then cross drilled about where it meets up with the venturi. I would show you a pic, but my wife run away with the camera for a few days. Another method which is easier if you don't have machines, is to screw in a pressure nipple just above the casting in the venturi. Another regular needle valve can also be used, and just solder up the end with the needle, or set it very rich. Is the XLS .36 a quick motor? My XLS .15 is pretty good, I had been thinking of making a fast combat just for something to try. I have lots of .40's I could use, just wondering.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM
jayseas

Originally Posted by aspeed
I make up my own on a lathe. I just turn down a diameter to .154" and chase an 8-32 thread on it. That is the most common size. A nipple is turned on the back and drilled about half way through, and then cross drilled about where it meets up with the venturi. I would show you a pic, but my wife run away with the camera for a few days. Another method which is easier if you don't have machines, is to screw in a pressure nipple just above the casting in the venturi. Another regular needle valve can also be used, and just solder up the end with the needle, or set it very rich. Is the XLS .36 a quick motor? My XLS .15 is pretty good, I had been thinking of making a fast combat just for something to try. I have lots of .40's I could use, just wondering.
I pretty much thought about the same thing but i don't have the tools, to make it happen that wouldd be right.I will try the pressure nipple on the venturi, and i didn't want to pay for whole needle valve assy.But i may have too.And i don't know anything about the XLS 36.But i was thinking of putting it on a combat wing of some sort, need to build it.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic. You could drill from the nipple end into a bolt very carefully and then drill a bit bigger hole to fit some tubing, and solder it on to make a nipple. It would have to be a fairly soft bolt or a brass one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks foamy 004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1947318  

Last edited by aspeed; 12-13-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 PM
jayseas

Just wanted to say thanks for your thoughts.Well i think i got it worked out,I found and old needle valve assy, that doesn't have a needle, so i used a 6/32 allen head bolt and put a nut on it and screwed the 6/32 bolt down into spray bar and used the nut as a jam nut.And made a venturi out of a nylon fitting.Now out to see how it runs on the bench.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drive out to campwood 009.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1947516   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive out to campwood 008.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1947517   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive out to campwood 011.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1947518  

Last edited by jayseas; 12-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.