Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Easy to Fly Trainer

Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the post above that noted how good of a trainer the CG Wizzard is. It has an engine mount and gear that are mounted with rubber bands, and more importantly, it has really good line tension, which is critical to learning how to fly CL. No, it's not a .35 powered ship, and yes, bigger planes do fly smoother, and easier, but they will not withstand a good hard crash. You will have some good crashes at first, depending on your ability, and the Wizzard will survive them. I flew mine on 42 foot lines using a dual bypass Golden Bee (now called a Black Widow) until the Ambroid let go and the engine buzz sawed off the outboard wing panel! Three other people I know have used the Wizzard to teach their kids and had great success, it's a real classic that's a winner.

The old CG control handle, or the newer Sig handle are really good; set the line spacing as narrow as you can at the handle for your first flights to avoid over controlling. Once my Wizzard fell apart, I built a Baby Flite Streak; one my first attempt, it did three loops before I could stop it....man what a plane! The Baby Flite Streak is just a Kombat Kitten with a profile fuselage as it turns out.

Last edited by jaymen; 01-06-2015 at 03:50 PM.