Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Carrier Landing practice at the UK BMFA Nationals

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Carrier Landing practice at the UK BMFA Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:27 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Carrier Landing practice at the UK BMFA Nationals

I haven't seen control line before. Knew it existed obviously but didn't realise there were quite a few different forms. First action I captured was of this guy who was obviously very experienced at carrier landing. I'm sure he made it look a lot harder than it actually is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZbI7yxYmUQ
Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dom,

Nice photography! Thank you!

This side of the pond we also have the CL Carrier event. (It may have originated here 50+ years ago...) The purpose of the event is to simulate Naval Carrier flight operations. The basics are: launch from a limited 'runway' (carrier deck); high speed after launch, (to reach the 'operational' or 'patrol' area quickly; good "loiter" ability, demonstrated by slow flight; then finally arrested recovery to the carrier deck.

Over here, ANY other contact with the ground is considered a crash into the ocean, and ends the scorable part of the contest flight.

High speed is calculated by timing 7 laps on 60' lines.

Low speed by timing 7 laps after the flier signals the judges he is ready for that portion of the flight.

After that, the flier prepares to land. In USA rules, as the model passes the deck, when ready, the flier signals his intent to land the next time around. Hooking on that first pass gets full marks. Missed approaches suffer reduced score. Landing with the model partly off the deck or in other than upright, wheels down attitude also loses points.

We have several categories of CL Carrier event. "Class I" and "Class II" are for scale models of actual naval aircraft, engine displacement limited to .40 cu in (Class I) and 10cc, roughly .60 cu in for Class II. The models tend to be smallish, brutally overpowered, and difficult to fly. There's a bonus for models closely resembling an actual naval aircraft.

More relaxed is Profile Carrier. Engines limited to .36 cu in; fuselage to "Profile model definition" in AMA (USA's aeromodeling organization) rules, I. e., basically a plank fuselage. Models need not be scale but "should" be marked to resemble a plausible carrier aircraft. Minimum wing area is also specified. Sounds simpler? We-ell...

Your You-tube subject's profile "SKUA" (I would guess) did well! I expect BMFA event rules differ, at least in detail, from ours. With the performance potential of these models, safety is an important consideration. We pull-test models before flight, by the model's weight and a table of appropriate flying-line diameters.

The above are the official, national rules Carrier events. Many unofficial events are also popular - .15 Carrier for 2.5cc engine powered models. Rules are adapted - the flight radius goes to (as I recall) 52.5' and requires 8 laps to make the same half-mile distance.

There are also nostalgia-based events, electric-powered events and other variations with simpler requirements, to attract new fliers.

An aspect of USA Carrier flying your 'victim' did not employ - "near-hovering" low speed segment. Here, the model must never stop moving forward, and its pitch attitude not exceed 60°, except for brief emergency action to regain safe control. Some amazingly long 'low speed' segments have been flown! Once in the near-hover, the idea is to NOT operate the throttle more than absolutely necessary to avoid 'ditching.' A few years back, I conducted an Arizona meet including Carrier. A national record was set in Profile. The slow-speed 7 lap segment exceeded 4 minutes!

Your video showed the effect of an outboard heavy spanwise balance: so the model was 'banked out' - bursts of throttle would tend to restore slack lines. The line wingtip guides - I think - also were tripped to move aft for the timed low-speed segment. Again, model yawed nose-out, to maintain pull for safe control. The tipweight does not affect high speed, and the 'line-slider' can be tripped similarly to a CL racing model's fuel cut-off.

It is an enjoyable and challenging way to fly CL! In truth, however, relatively few now fly CL. Fewer still fly CL Carrier, but those who do gather for some great contests! I like CL because it is tangibly physical - You actually FEEL what the model is doing in flight. Would you hire a chauffeur to drive you around in your sports car? Nor would I.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:27 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the info Lou. "Tangibly physical". I like that. Totally different to RC. I'll have to give it a go next time. Cheers.