Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

O.S. LA 46 RC to CL

Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Liner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. LA 46 RC to CL

I have had this LA .46 for about 15-20yrs now an have found a use for it in a control line airplane. My question is what venturi should I get to convert it to CL? I see 2 choices on ebay, a 6mm or 7mm (233120000 40FP-S) assuming either one are correct?? Also what Needle Valve Assy would work for it, I only see a 20-40FP-S on ebay as well... I imagine switching it over it would preform better for use on a CL airplane. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 PM
TGG25

Try tower hobbies stock is 7mm inner dia. for venturi they have 2 types of needle valves to,one is the back plate type the other is the front needle with a big spring on it.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Liner

I see they have the venturi but they only have the spray bar for a 40, no needle. I assume the 20-25 size needle valve ass is smaller.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Liner first welcome to the forum. First I can only speculate that you are a returnee to controlline or perhaps new to the wonderful world of controlline, please forgive me if I am wrong.

Actually since the advent of 2.4 RC systems controlline has received a substancial "Boost". By that I mean we can now operate controllines airplanes with very simple throttle systems and even more. Yes this means using a throttled RC engine and a tiny flight pack. This with no fear of interfering with RC flyers if you would like to operate at or near your local RC field.

Having a throttled RC engines will in addition of enabling you to do unlimited touch and goes with just the same two light lines you always used. Something virtually all controlline flyers have fantasized since the beginning.

Will the additional weight of the very simple mods reduce performance. But of couse it will "But" the reduction in performance is negligible and almost not even noticible to us mear mortal sport pilots. Also note there is substancial improvement in performance over traditional multi wire/handel systems for throttle or even over more recent heavy insulated Over-the-wire two wire systems.

I fly only throttled engines for contolline these days and certainly would never go back to guessing when the engine was about to quit among other things. This also makes it far easier for folks I have mentored getting into controlline.

There is no rush to convert over to a venturi either Just to start learning. Agine I recommend to start from the beginning using a throttled engine even if you simply rubber band them open to start with. If you are interested I can post some very simple way to do this that last many flghts, cheap and easy.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-22-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Liner

I am a returnee, my dad got me into it in the late 80's an into the mid 90's. Then a long 20yr long absence. I got back into it last year, dug out the old airplanes an dusted them off.
We were towards the end planking the on trying out a 3 wire system. I don't know anything about this 2.4 system... Are you using a radio and receiver with batteries and a servo?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Liner
We were towards the end planking the on trying out a 3 wire system. I don't know anything about this 2.4 system... Are you using a radio and receiver with batteries and a servo?
Well congratulations on returning, Ya know its amazing how so many all those years ago do return eventually. Something one could never explain to those that may have never experienced before the joy of a successful controlline flight.

The direct answer is yes, I am using a full 2.4 flight pack that would have been used in any RC airplane. This includes one tiny servo, a small Receiver, 270 mah four cell battery pack and a tiny micro switch.
This may see excessive weight wise but it is not when used with .35 and up sized airplane which is what you need with that LA46. The real key to using an off the self 2.4 RC system for controlline is not the installation of a few components in the airplane but how to use the standard two stick transmitter.

There has been much effort expended upon different ways to do this over the years every thing from hanging the tranny on the belt to gutting the tranny and doing a custom pistol grip type of box/controlline handel. Yes the pistol grip seems the most natural, However I can confidently report that in my opinion after twelve years of using one of the early non RF over the wire systems before the advent of 2.4 That a pistol grip handle is not the best way to go.

What I have done since converting to 2.4 for throttle is to use any brand conventional two stick transmitter and associated flight components and I wear the transmitter with a neck strap in front of my chest with the stick pointing toward the airplane. This makes it very simple reach with whichever hand that is free from the handle to find the throttle and make a change.

Now lets talk about throttling during the flight. I have found that with the old Over-the-wire the pistol grips or modern 2.4 that trying to change throttle for various manuvers is perhaps not the best way to go and at first at least is to just using the throttle for The launch and the landings when you want to land. Now later for touch and goes feathering the throttle will be required. My favorite flights will involve multiple touch and goes flying slowly alternately applying full power and holding it on while doing your stunt pattern at fixed power.

I will get some pictures up a little later this afternoon but have to go to the field for a bit.

John
Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Liner

This does sound intesesting. Are there any youtube videos of this in action?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Yes here is one video that shows touch and goes interspersed with typical sport flying and there are others at my U tube channel Johnbuckner100. Most of these are with the older over-the-wire trigger grip system that I used to use but will post another in a few minutes of a flight using the 2.4 system with the tranny hanging from my neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqIuXMJj6R0

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-24-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Liner

Very nice video, that looks much better than using a 3 wire system. I'll have to consider giving this a try soon!

What do guys use to weigh their airplanes?