Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Cox .049 engine and guillows planes

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Cox .049 engine and guillows planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM
idkaname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 i know of, 1 Is a train store and one mainly has rc trucks n stuff so ill look there. hopefully i can get some dope there! and a prop. i also received my engine today too! idk how to use it though.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Cox .049 Diesel? Have no idea, never had a diesel. Although make sure you have the correct fuel. http://coxengines.ca/files/FG.pdf I do know that getting the contra piston adjusted correctly, is important. You're probably going to have to Google search for instructions and videos on how to start and run that engine. Diesels are pretty smelly.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM
idkaname

OK! I was fiddling with it earlier to no avail. Hopefully i can get to a shop tomorrow...
Old 08-19-2016, 09:04 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idkaname
Thanks Lou for the kind welcome! As for your question, I have built a balsa kit with good results considering it was my first build. And about the kit being modified for cl, the booklet included states that you make a thing to hold a wire/string and you put it on the end of a stick... That was all lol. On the topic of cl flying, I have never flown cl but I plan to in the future. I also, unfortunately, do not have anyone I know of or any clubs that fly cl so I guess Im out of luck there. Thanks for a reply!!
The one you speak of requires a Cox .010 and the stick (tether flying) not very controllable.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM
idkaname

Originally Posted by controlliner
The one you speak of requires a Cox .010 and the stick (tether flying) not very controllable.
Yes you are correct! as of now i am getting a guillows zero!
Old 08-20-2016, 10:23 AM
idkaname

Hello everyone! i recently went to my local hobby store (1 of 2) and a man there which i think was the owner helped me get a good prop for my engine and showed me what kind of dope to get. I showed him the engine and he handed me a 6x4 prop and said that will work. I would trust his opinion as he had many cl planes with cox engines hanging around the store...He also told me how the engine works and included lots of info..and with that he said he will try to get some more 1/2a fuel so i could buy some. just an update! my zero plane kit should be here monday or tuesday...kind of aggravated with the people i ordered it from oh yea! he also mentioned that a +30in wingspan would be better for that engine but i could possible get away with 27.75... the owner was also very impressed with my engine, saying that i got a good deal and that it was a professional engine with a stunt tank....idk much about it so i couldnt tell you if he was right or not.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cox .049 Diesel? Have no idea, never had a diesel. on how to start and run that engine. Diesels are pretty smelly.

Idkaname is this Cox .049 you bought a diesel ? If it is, its likely a Davis diesel head conversion. Cool but you cannot use ordinary 1/2A fuel, you must use model diesel fuel. Davis used to sell it but do not know if they are around anymore. You will need to search model diesel fuel suppliers. I have no idea anymore I am still working on a ten year old gallon of davis diesel fuel, Most of it through a MP Jet .059 diesel.

John
Old 08-20-2016, 02:23 PM
idkaname

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Idkaname is this Cox .049 you bought a diesel ? If it is, its likely a Davis diesel head conversion. Cool but you cannot use ordinary 1/2A fuel, you must use model diesel fuel. Davis used to sell it but do not know if they are around anymore. You will need to search model diesel fuel suppliers. I have no idea anymore I am still working on a ten year old gallon of davis diesel fuel, Most of it through a MP Jet .059 diesel.

John
Hi John! yes the cox i bought is a diesel, not sure of the brand for the conversion parts but the head is like a light green color...also under the head, there is a small plastic disk. is that supposed to be there? i dont know much about the anatomy of a diesel cox. anyways, im not sure if the fuel the hobby store guy ordered is diesel or not. he did say it was from cox and had castor oil. I did show him the engine so maybe he ordered the diesel version? not sure. Ill look around for so "diesel" fuel.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 PM
JohnBuckner

Can,t say about the plastic disc unless perhaps its a replacement for the stock Cox. Not absolutely sure but I do not think Cox made any diesel fuel. I seriously doubt the fuel he is ordering is diesel fuel which you must have and by the way also you cannot substitute automotive pump diesel.

Never run any of the Davis heads but got one for an OS 32 hanging on the wall The 6x4 prop should work well on your engine.

John
Old 08-20-2016, 05:19 PM
idkaname

Can,t say about the plastic disc unless perhaps its a replacement for the stock Cox. Not absolutely sure but I do not think Cox made any diesel fuel. I seriously doubt the fuel he is ordering is diesel fuel which you must have and by the way also you cannot substitute automotive pump diesel.

Never run any of the Davis heads but got one for an OS 32 hanging on the wall The 6x4 prop should work well on your engine.

John
Hmm. Well idk what to do about that.. I guess I could get a glow plug and put on there? As for the diesel thing. The engine has an adjustable compression screw and it seems the disc would interfere with the adjustable compression. Well, it does look like it has burn marks so maybe ot was run like that? Anyways, I could make my own diesel fuel. Just idk where to get ether or castor oil. I know the "diesel" fuel, according to cox, is ether, castor, and kerosene.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:49 PM
JohnBuckner

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/index.htm

These are the people you want to talk to not Cox. Highly probable you have one of their heads. I think I even saw something about a plastic disc for the Conversion heads or something. Highly suggest not to attempt your own fuel, theirs apparently avalible in quart cans, enough to last you into your retirement.

John
Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 AM
idkaname

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/index.htm

These are the people you want to talk to not Cox. Highly probable you have one of their heads. I think I even saw something about a plastic disc for the Conversion heads or something. Highly suggest not to attempt your own fuel, theirs apparently avalible in quart cans, enough to last you into your retirement.

John
Thanks for the link, lots of info on there! I was looking around on google tor those heads and pics came up of one that looks just like mine but red or silver so you correct! I also they mentioned the lil disc on the website so I suppose it shoud be there. As for fuel, I see they have diesel feul for the cox engines which runs at $17.. Seems like a lot but if it practically lasts a lifetime it would be a good deal. Speaking of that, is there a certain way to store it or anything?
Old 08-21-2016, 04:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Yes storage can be a problem, what happens most often is the contra piston has a habit of welding itself in position within the head expecially if high castor oil is used. Problem is once that happens it can be difficult to free it. Heat applied jcarefully helps but if the compression screw is left in the compressed position after running, the engine is stored that way and the piston seizes then what a problem. When you unscrew the compression screw it only just backs away from the contra piston with no good method left to mechanically move it.

Now if you backed off the compression screw after the last run and turned the engine over to let it move to the uncompressed position it will now be easy to free it months/years from now with a little of the yellow label liquid wrench an you just need to screw the screw in to free it.

John
Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 AM
idkaname

Yes storage can be a problem, what happens most often is the contra piston has a habit of welding itself in position within the head expecially if high castor oil is used. Problem is once that happens it can be difficult to free it. Heat applied jcarefully helps but if the compression screw is left in the compressed position after running, the engine is stored that way and the piston seizes then what a problem. When you unscrew the compression screw it only just backs away from the contra piston with no good method left to mechanically move it.

Now if you backed off the compression screw after the last run and turned the engine over to let it move to the uncompressed position it will now be easy to free it months/years from now with a little of the yellow label liquid wrench an you just need to screw the screw in to free it.

John

wow! that sounds complex..kinda urges me not to be in this hobby lol. Thanks for the advice! ill give it a try if/when that happens...
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM
JohnBuckner

What complex? At the end of the day only need to back off the screw and flip the engine over a few times to allow the contra piston move up to the low compression position Done.

John
Old 08-21-2016, 04:28 PM
idkaname

What complex? At the end of the day only need to back off the screw and flip the engine over a few times to allow the contra piston move up to the low compression position Done.

John
Ohhh OK lol. So do that then put the pin back in?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:11 PM
JohnBuckner

I don,t know what you mean by the "pin" All you do is just loosen the head screw you do not remove it. then turn the engine over so compression will move the contra piston back up to low compression.

John
Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM
idkaname

Oh OK I gotcha!