Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's cool. I envy you. Thanks for sharing that. How are you doing the throttle, (three line handle) or RC?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:56 AM
slkret123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Tom
I control the throttle by RC. I use an inexpensive 3 channel RC car radio from Hobby King. I put a hatch in the bottom of the fuselage as far back as I can get the equipment to fit. Since an RC engine is heaver than a CL engine the weight in the back helps with the CG. I use a 250 mAh 2 cell LiPO battery. The car transmitter has a trigger control on the throttle so I simply hold the transmitter in my left hand and the control line handle in my right. Easy to get used to. For a profile model such as my Banshee, I install a hatch between 2 ribs about half way out on the right wing. the weight of the radio stuff eliminates the need to put in a tip weight. I install a cable in a tube between the servo and the carb on the engine.
I chose to use the radio approach as it's pretty simple and I didn't want to buy a new Roberts control handle / bellcrank setup and also deal with the additional weight and drag of the third line.

Steve
Old 07-29-2017, 01:28 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey steve, by the way welcome to the forum. Definitely could use some more throttle devotees here. Those endless touch and goes, what fun man. I fly a Magician (OS .40FP) and a Kaos (OS.35AX) originally with a trigger grip over the wire system but now 2.4 is much better. Because I need the free hand for maneuvering my wheel chair I use a two stick tranny hanging backwards so I can make the throttle changes when needed.

My newly minted controlline buddy also uses 2.4 but does like you with a pistol grip tranny.

I just finished the refurbishment of a Skylark that belonged to a friend many years ago, It
likely had a Fox before but I thought a nice little Saito .30 may work out. Any way will do the maiden in he morning.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylark controlline  2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2226146   Click image for larger version

Name:	skylark controlline.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2226147  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cox PT 19 for Christmas in 1972 when I was 12. I would love to get one on E-bay but always get out bid.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually had a dream about that. I didn't have one, but learned on my friend's. He was a good sport when I crashed.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Hobby Inn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

P-40 purchased at Disneyland in 1959...age 10.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby Inn View Post
P-40 purchased at Disneyland in 1959...age 10.
Guessing you're talking about a Cox demo circle that was there to introduce C/L to the general public. Only know about it through Model Aviation mag. I was never there - it was too far away and was probably long gone by the time I came around.

Remembering a Cox PT-19 being used to introduce newbies to control-line at the Transpo Airshow at the then - very new - Dulles International Airport all the way on the other side of the country in the early '70's - also a guy flying a huge, C-124 Globemaster (IIRC) - 4 engines running and holding on to the handle with both hands while leaning back at an incredible angle. At the opposite end of the scale concerning line tension - also remember a demo of the then new, Art Scholl rendition of the Pee Wee .020-powered Cox Pitts Special which I thought flew well enough in mid-afternoon winds to want one.

Were they flying P-40's at Disneyland that day? Were you invited to fly anything while you were there? Do you still have or fly the P-40?

Last edited by H5606; 10-05-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Lou Crane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's U-Tube of the Disneyland flying circle action somewhere on the web. Saw it recently...

A member of my CL Club, Cholla Choppers of Tucson, flew for Disneyland for a while, Yeah, he was much younger then. So were we all.

Bart is most likely one of the featured Disneyland fliers in the U-Tube, but I don't recall it naming the guys. Interesting stuff, anyway.
They had practically a 'factory racing team' setup going. Always planes that started and flew (or were quickly replaced by one that did.)

Search this Thread