Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my first CL plane at 13 or 14 was a "buster" profile plane by Top Flite IIRC. I put an ill-starting M'coy .29 in it because that was all I could afford. I think I repaired that plane about 25 times before I got through a full tank of fuel without crashing !.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:47 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ View Post
1st CL was an Aurora L-19 Birddog with Aurora 049 from Christmas 1959. I was 7 years old. It survived about 2 laps.

L-19 is in the lower left of photo with "hanger box" behind.

2nd CL was a Scientific Piper Super Cruiser with solid balsa fuse and flat wing with a Cox 049. It survived crashes and repairs long enough to for me to get the hang of it.

Thats me on the left. K&B fuel with big round dry cell battery.
Geez :
I also had an Aurora L-19 Bird Dog. Almost forgot the manufacturer until I saw your post. Got it Xmas 1960. Flew it several times for 4 or 5 laps until it was damaged beyond repair. Took out the .049 and built a Berkeley Bulp Pup that I got from A.H.C. That was some building task for a 10 year old on his own. Have pics of it. In 1962 I saw my first "big" C/L ship- a Goldberg Shoestring Stunter. That site was all I could think about for the longest time. In 1964, I traded in O&R 23 and also taped "Barbary" quarters , "Mercury" dimes and "Buffalo" nickels from my coin collection(desperate kid) to some cardboard stock and mailed to A.H.C. for a Ringmaster kit and my first "big" engine, a McCoy 35 Red head.The build was a challenge for an unassisted 12 year old, but I finished it and flew it level with a loop here and there for many outings at a local park. Thereafter, I was kicked out of there by the Park Ranger- who actually did me a favor because he told me of the Union Model Airplane Club in Union, NJ.
I'm still at it today, thank God.
My latest C/L ship is an electric twin motor" TURNING POINT" with 3 retracts. Automotive finish, the works. Designed by Bob Hunt- a fellow UMAC'er since 1965.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by F.Imbriaco View Post
Geez :
I also had an Aurora L-19 Bird Dog. Almost forgot the manufacturer until I saw your post. Got it Xmas 1960. Flew it several times for 4 or 5 laps until it was damaged beyond repair. Took out the .049 and built a Berkeley Bulp Pup that I got from A.H.C. That was some building task for a 10 year old on his own. Have pics of it. In 1962 I saw my first "big" C/L ship- a Goldberg Shoestring Stunter. That site was all I could think about for the longest time. In 1964, I traded in O&R 23 and also taped "Barbary" quarters , "Mercury" dimes and "Buffalo" nickels from my coin collection(desperate kid) to some cardboard stock and mailed to A.H.C. for a Ringmaster kit and my first "big" engine, a McCoy 35 Red head.The build was a challenge for an unassisted 12 year old, but I finished it and flew it level with a loop here and there for many outings at a local park. Thereafter, I was kicked out of there by the Park Ranger- who actually did me a favor because he told me of the Union Model Airplane Club in Union, NJ.
I'm still at it today, thank God.
My latest C/L ship is an electric twin motor" TURNING POINT" with 3 retracts. Automotive finish, the works. Designed by Bob Hunt- a fellow UMAC'er since 1965.
F.Imbriaco, it was really cool to read your post. After several .049 planes my first "big C/L" was the Goldberg Shoestring Stunter with McCoy 35 red head in 1962. I was in the 4th grade and like you was figuring it out unassisted. I mowed yards for model money. I got most of my advice from the C/L guy that worked behind the hobby counter at the local Sears. I flew at the local park also until we got run off by the city. The Shoestring lasted until the Ambroid glue holding the bellcrank mount came loose and the bellcrank pulled through 2 or 3 ribs. I still remember holding on as it did uncontrolled outside loops until it hit inverted and stopped. Photo my dad took below.

That L-19 set me on my life course of C/L, RC, Full scale pilot with 20 years military and 19 years airline flying. Retired now and trying to be full time model pilot. Model airplanes have been my go to passion since the start.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 05-20-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a really beautiful Shoestring. Retirement and model airplanes are a great combo.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This hobby of ours has to be without any doubt the greatest one ever, as it has so many different and diverse offerings, plus the added benefit of meeting some of the nicest persons in this world.