Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope,
I'm the world famous Sparky.
I havent flown CL for around 45 years I gave two brand new .35 stunters ready to go. I got them at an estate sale they are both much nicer than I could ever build.
I think the Thimble Drone was some sort of a trade mark that Cox used. So likely that's the handle I'm referring to.
Yes I think Spider wire would be a great fit for current small CL airplanes.
Sparky
Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 PM
GREG DOE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sparky, We need to do some control line after one of our races. If you bring one, I'll being one. It'll be famous Sparky, and famous Greg!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:29 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Already Pylon racing famous Sparky and Greg. You'll have competition from the previously famous Control Line stunt Sparky.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Back in 1965 when i was 8 years old my cousin Mark ( who my wife calls the "good Mark" as opposed to me the "evil Mark") went off to join the navy and gave me his Wen-Mac Turbojet control line plane. I tried for many hours to get the engine started and after getting some help and finding out that a 6 volt lantern battery instantly fried the glow plug I was able to make a few short attempts at flying before it was destroyed. So it was on to various Cox RTF's up to the highly prized Stuka. After those models were all "used up" I had a collection of Cox 049s around. I went to a local hobby store in Clinton Connecticut named Dave's Hobbies and purchased a Sterling Beginners Spitfire and a Dave converted one of my 049's to a tank mount. The rest is history as they say. From there it was many 1/2a planes then onto a Sterling Ringmaster my first "Big" C/L kit. I wanted a Fox 35 but couldn't quite deliver enough newspapers to afford the $11.95 price tag so I got a K&B Stallion 35 fro $7.95. I still have that engine not because it was so good but to remind me of how many Ringmasters it cost me when it quit doing an overhead maneuver. I still have a Ringmaster but this one has an L&J Fox 35 up front. Been a modeler ever since. Both RC and CL.
Mark O