Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 11-25-2016, 03:57 PM
mtrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

As I have said in another forum my first control line plane was a Cox Stuka.

It was in 1975, our last Christmas as a family before mom, and dad got divorced.

I was around 11 years old then, and had just recently flown my cousins Testor Flying Tiger. The Tiger was really fun, but a bit smaller than the Cox Stuka.

I wasn't adept enough back then to start, and fly the plane myself, so since my dad left I had to wait until that rare day that he would come over to start the engine.

Well about a year later he finally got around to it. I was so nervous, that when the plane was finally started/running there was a small crowd of kids gathered around.

I flew the Stuka one revolution before it started flying at an arch, then into the ground.

Then it was retired the closet, and finally lost to time.

Now I have another Stuka even with the original box to relive that day again.

So tell me what was your first plane, the year you got it, how old were you, and what was the story behind it..........thanks.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:00 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 12 in '72 there was the Agnes flood in my area that devastated many towns and businesses. We lived out in the country and my Dad rebuilt many business after the waters receded.

He was working on an American Auto store and they were dumping merchandise from inside right out into the dumpsters. He spotted some things and asked if he could take them at the end of the week before the dumpsters were picked-up.

My Dad brought home about 6 or 8 AC Gilbert planes, several extra engines and parts along with a trunkful of AFX slot car parts. We cleaned everything up and we started flying them that fall. They took a lot of abuse and taught me how to fly. Eventually they got brittle from age and fuel.

Still have what's left of one of the airframes somewhere outside.

One of those great memories when you were a kid that you'll never forget!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_1.JPG
Views:	4243
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2191250  

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 11-25-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:48 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

AJ Firebaby, in 1954, or 55. I was 9 or 10. I learned to fly it until the fuel ran out.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:49 PM
clflyer

Cox P-51 for Christmas, probably 10 years old. It lasted about 1/2 lap.
Later I built a Guillows stick and tissue Spitfire, that lasted almost 1 lap before the down line broke.
Finally I built and flew a Goldberg Stuntman 23.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:15 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Cox Piper Cub in about 1960. Had a hard time getting it to run at max power for any length of time so got more time on the ground than in the air.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 AM
5skyhawk172

1968 Ringmaster fox 35, 12 years old.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

I was about 11 around 1978. A friend of my father who lived across the street gave me a cox p40. I and my father made an attempt to fly it crashed it. Dad then bought me a pt19 cox trainer. We learned to fly and the went through all the cox planes of the time. We then built 2 wood kits. I still have one. Goldberg stuntman and swordsman
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM
I_Fly

I received a Cox Follker biplane for my birthday in about 1979 or 1980. My age would have been 8 or 9 years. Couldn't start and run it my self but could get it running with my older brother. It's fair to say that we both would go home with soar fingers. He had some type of aerobatic plane (single wing with stars and strips). His flew OK and would typically run the tank before the flight ended. Mine was a bear to fly and would usually end up nose down in the ground. It was only a few attempts before the support for the upper wing broke. My father glued it but the plane was retired. The next summer we discovered a cox free flight helicopter on clearance at Wolworth's (department store). I don't remember the cost but it couldn't have been more than a few dollars. It took some work to get it going, it was released into the air without a thought of were it would go. Once above the trees the wind really got it moving. We had to chase it for many blocks before it ran out of fuel and returned to the ground. Pure luck that it didn't end up in a tree or on a roof. Good times to be sure.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:47 PM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi M, my first control line model was a Wen Mac Aeromite, powered by a Baby Spitfire .045. I believe the year was 1948 or 1949..whenever they

first were produced. That was not my first semi-controlled model; just my first engine powered model. I went through a series of tether line

Monogram Speedi-Bilts and Jim Walker "74" gliders before that time. I was eight years old when I got the Wen Mac Aeromite.

That Baby Spitfire soon went into a Berkeley Mini Zilch; which was quite a thrill to fly. I had lots of experience whipping the various

Speedi-Bilt models and I sadly discovered that the "Aeromite" flew better with the engine not running than with the engine running!

The Baby Spitfire powered many other models after the Mini Zilch died; including a few Speedi-Bilts, original U/C designs, a

De Bolt "Infant Wagon" a pair of AJ Fire Babys and also a number of sport Free Flights including a Veco Dakota . I used the Baby Spitfire

all through the 1950's even though I was flying Ringmasters, Flying Clowns, PDQ Circus Kings and AJ Firecats , a Half Fast III and

some original flying wings that looked like Omegas. I became fast friends with Lee Hines in 1957 and concentrated on Indoor and

Outdoor HLG along with Gas FF, flying an AB Spacer and Lee's modified Ramrod 250 design(original by Ron St Jean).

Sorry, this was more than you asked for...

Tony
Old 11-26-2016, 05:10 PM
cardinalflyer
My Feedback: (11)

I was 11 when I won a Firebaby in the local hobby shop drawing. It had an .049 wasp engine that my uncle taught me how to start. I flew it some before graduating to a larger plane with a four bolt Fox 35. After a break of several years, I returned to the hobby in radio control. However, I have built and flown several cl planes since the 80's. (Tutor, Magician, Ringmaster, and a Flitestreak.) All of the elements of the hobby are great fun!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Date approximate: 1952-1953.

After an earlier unsuccessful effort with an AJ Firebaby (in a residential/commercial busy neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY - no room to get the OK Cub .049 (?), the slack-balloon tank and the 20' lines going at a busy intersection (( we lived above a dry goods store!)) ) , I kept on with semi-serious rubber free flight 10 cent Comet and Monogram kits. Good building experience. And some engine experience - first engine an Anderson Spitzy .045? - on a rudimentary bench. Learned how to start and 'tune' an engine, anyway.

Next real effort was a Pee Wee Zilch with an OK .049. Younger cousin tore the rudder and stab off at launch... Age-related problem for both of us... About a year later, having read Air Trails and Flying Models mags intensively since 1949, I "designed" a simple CL model for a McCoy .098.

Flat bottom wing. Sorta sport single-eater appearance. WAY too heavy for wing area and power - but with a good hand launch, IT FLEW! Still not in high school, so before Fall 1953...

Weight meant strength - way in excess of needed strength.... It could and DID loop, which was more like a climb and dive in which I didn't turn with the model, but leaned over backwards to see it on the "back half" of the lap. Whipping? ubetcha!

Even so learned a lot from it. Later (not by much, actually!) models flew wonderfully more easily. True joy! Until I tried a first release Flite Streak (McCoy Sportsman 35). Tailheavy! Model got three laps ahead of me, but flew less than a single lap.

Repaired (ultimately several times repaired!) it lasted me over two more years, and taught me a whole lot more. All good and inspiring, leading to the next 60+ years of preferring CL as the way to fly.

Last edited by Lou Crane; 11-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

About 1952, an AJ Fire baby with a a Baby Spitfire (replaced with a Cox 049). I worked up a system where the plane was held by a tail skid until I could get it running and then I could release it by pulling a string that held a pin that went thru the the tail skid loop and a ground anchor. I was able to fly without outside help. My finger was all scar tissue..........I progressed to a Clown w/McCoy 19 or 23? Then a Ringmaster w/ Fox 35 and a Veco Warrior with a Fox also.
Mixed that in with some kit built gliders and free flights........
I now fly RC only, currently an Escapade MX w/DLE 35, a Ultra Stick w/ VVRC 20 and a Valiant w/35 DLE as well as a foamy power glider! A Spitfire ARF is on it's way. (DA 32)
As a kid I remember some of the early RC's that were owned by some older folks, no kid could afford such. Lucky to have such good and affordable gear now!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:33 PM
popargr

Scientific Little Mercury with an OK CUB 049 year 1954. I was 8 yrs old.I never flew it though.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 PM
oh44077
My Feedback: (5)

1949 testors profile plane, with a forster 29 ignition engine . still have the engine and plane. restored the plane and is in good flying condition. I am 82 and fly rc now. those were the days. I was 15 years old then. great hobby over the years.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:18 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Sterling Jr. Ringmaster with a Fox 15. Bought it in 1958 (age 13) at Barry's Bicycle and Hobby Shop on Bridge St. in St. Augustine, FL. IRRC, the plane cost $1.95 and the engine was $5.95.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The year was 1954, I was 9 years old and the airplane was a Scientific Models Red Flash (hollow log) with a Spitzy .045 and I am happy to report I never totally abandoned controlline even after my first successful RC plane in 1959. Always keeping a few active ships on hand over the years and still active now flying controlline out of my wheelchair.

John
Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

At age 73 I would fall down flat if I tried control line, a fact
Old 11-27-2016, 06:47 PM
kevarc
My Feedback: (2)

In 1972 I got a Testors P40 as a gift for Christmas. We had an activity class in Junior High and I chose the one for model planes.
I flew the P40 and I recall having to drag it around. Some older kids made fun of it , but I don't recall seeing any of them fly.
Only flew it a few times but was hooked.
I bought a Tomahawk., and a cox baby bee from Dicks Hobby Hut.
I built it and took it to a park to fly it. I could not get it off the ground.
A kid happened by and helped me get it going. He knew how to fly CL and had me flying in short order.
We became great friends, and it turned out his dad was Dick.
Rich and I are still flying together although we are flying RC these days.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

1st CL was an Aurora L-19 Birddog with Aurora 049 from Christmas 1959. I was 7 years old. It survived about 2 laps.

L-19 is in the lower left of photo with "hanger box" behind.

2nd CL was a Scientific Piper Super Cruiser with solid balsa fuse and flat wing with a Cox 049. It survived crashes and repairs long enough to for me to get the hang of it.

Thats me on the left. K&B fuel with big round dry cell battery.

Name:	L-19 Birddog.jpg
Views:	4693
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2191498   Click image for larger version

Name:	1959 2nd Grade Piper Super Cub.jpg
Views:	5569
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2191500  

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 11-27-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DaveH2 (07-10-2023)
Old 11-27-2016, 07:09 PM
BelAirBob

Wow, someone else has or had a Spitzy. I still have mine. But my first control line was a Cox Curtis pusher, in the early 60's I think. I was about 12. My dad built it and was sort of involved with strings, etc. Terrible first plane to fly. I got to a half turn and it crashed, totally unrepairable. I still have a wheel. Next up was a beautiful blue Cox WW2 fighter. I can't remember what it was. A Helldiver? The pilot could eject by a third string. Of course, I could not fly it either, but a friend later did and eventually crashed it too. I always wonder how many Cox u controls never flew

bob
Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

AJ Walker FireCat, year:1964, 15years old.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
Wow, someone else has or had a Spitzy. I still have mine. But my first control line was a Cox Curtis pusher, in the early 60's I think.it

Name:	Cox 014.jpg
Views:	4749
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2191534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitzy  .045 002.jpg
Views:	3537
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	2191535  
Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

The prelude to my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] CL plane was a bike I got for Christmas in 1956…I was 9. I had such a love for airplanes even at this early age that I attempted to convert my bike to an airplane by attaching boards to the fenders…I realize now that there were a few design flaws, like getting airborne and controlling it, but I was 9…what would you expect…no matter how hard I peddled down the hill, I didn’t even get an inch off the ground! At any rate, and as you would expect, my plans for flight were met with failure…and skinned knees and elbows!
So for my birthday the following spring, and perhaps to save my life, I got a Piper Cherokee…don’t remember who made it or the engine size. I think it lasted perhaps a lap, but no more than 2…meeting the same fate as my bike/airplane. As I recall, it was made of plastic and no matter how we tried to glue it back together, it never flew again but hung in my room for years. In the following years, I did have limited success with CL, building and flying 1/2A’s, but think I’m better suited for RC. I’ve also abandoned the idea of bike to airplane conversions…
Murphey
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Cox PT-19, 8 Yrs old
Old 11-28-2016, 12:44 PM
fly24-7

My first was a plastic F-14 Tomcat that my folks got me from Toys-R-Us when I was 9 or 10. We lived in a cul-de-sac and I flew the F-14 until I ground the wheels and landing gears off of the plane. That was replaced by a Top Flite Corsair kit that my dad helped me build. Flew that one for a couple of years, then my interests switched to RC cars. Something I could do on my own. Then some 25 years later, I decided to get into RC planes, which I am wholly addicted to through the present day.

Last edited by fly24-7; 11-28-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.