Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:09 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Keil Kraft Champ plans are available, see Champ plan - Free download - Outerzone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1643.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2215946  
Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the "dizzy" go away in old guys like me if they keep flying. I use to fly CL a lot before I went to RC, but last fall dusted off the Flite Streak (Fox 35 stunt) and had real problems with getting dizzy. I also opted for long lazy 8's. The other old guys there who only fly CL don't seem to have the problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Most everyone gets dizzy after a long layoff from flying C/L but it will get better each successive flying session until it finally stops just like before, if you can remember that far back.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For what ever its worth what has keep me going strong over the years is two fold (I am 72). This definitely is related to age and makes no difference if you are a returnee, experiencing various equilibrium problems or other medical problems such as me.

What I believe and tell any returnee regardless what your skill level may have been is first: Do not start up agine with Half A airplanes. Far better to use larger ships that you can use sixty foot lines with and this alone will certainly help with the dizzys. Next do not use a controlline engine, Instead use only a throttled RC engine. Now think about that for a minute what controlline pilot has not wanted to terminate a flight at will or perhaps just to fly slower a couple of laps or make those long dreamed of touch and go landings.

With 2.4 systems now its so easy to put a tiny servo and receiver in with a 50 to 270mah battery pack to operate that throttle.

Now will the dizzys go away completely with time if you are older well? Good question and I feel far to often the answer is no and perhaps never. The addition of a simple throttle system is the key for any returnee or some that like me have lost the abilty to stand up. I can also offer plenty of info on success with a wheelchair if any are interested.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM
GallopingGhostler

Half-A on 30 foot (9.15 m) or shorter lines puts lap times of 3 seconds or less. Stunt ship on 60 foot (18.3 m) lines, talking more like 5 seconds or so laps. Run engine with a rich setting, with those capable do the 4 cycle - 2 cycle - 4 cycle break when in stunts if capable. Thus, turn rate is a lot slower, so not as dizzying. Control time in flight by amount of fuel in tank, less initially until used to it.

RC throttle only complicates things, IMO. We've been living in the fast lane too much. CL is supposed to be relaxing, simplicity at its best (unless you like combat or speed).
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Tom Nied

I thank you guys for your input. My return was with a Flite Streak with a Fox 35 stunt, 3 1/2 ounce tank. Moves pretty good. Doing lazy eights really helped, but the length of time seemed long and I don't know, felt kind of unnerving on these 64 y/o legs. Spinning, spinning, spinning. I kind of wished I had my old Banshee. Seemed like the lap times were longer. I'll give this a go again. When I was first learning as a kid, I would practice just turning in circles. Also, I know, moving in a backward circle also helps. So will keep that in mind. Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Tom, the Banshee has a 125 additional square inch wing area and 7 inches more wingspan, which might explain why it flies more relaxed. What prop are you using? If you're using a 10x6 with your Fox, may be downscoping with a 10x5, 10x4 or 9x6 might make a big difference in lap speed.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first was a Cox PT-19 in 1967. Never crashed. Was too focused on getting it right to enjoy it. Thank you Dad. Progressed through the years with Flight Streaks, Super Swoop, Voodoo, Ringmaster Jr, Shark 15, Veco Brave and Midwest P-63. I'm now involved with RC in all phases and sizes.
Currently building a Voodoo again. Instead of a McCoy 35 on my first Voodoo, going balls out with a G-21 new in box with bladder. Thanks Riley. Back to the past for a taste of my youth! Wish me luck.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Tom Nied

Hang on tight!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM
cepheusrealm

Default After the Fly

My first control line was a silk covered profile fuselage balsa planethat my dad built when a boy and that had been hanging on my grandparents closet wall for probably 15 years. I was perhaps 7 or 8 years old and wanted that plane so...so...bad. Well I got it but never flew it. Played with it too much and it was slowly broken up. I still have the Rogers engine from it though and may sometime soon attempt to start it up. a few years later though had a 'Lil Satan' with an .049 on the front and flew it a half dozen times before trashing it in a crash. As I recall, that engine came off the Cox Curtis pusher that my neighbor had given me. Sadly, that plane too was carried high overhead while running around the yard....but never did it fly on lines. Wish I could do both the treasure planes over. Bet they would have been more fun if I had only been more mature when I had them.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Tom Nied

Great memories, thanks for sharing. I also sometimes visit my memories of my youth and model airplanes. Back when I was a kid, I didn't have anybody experienced to help so had to try to figure things out with my friends, who also didn't know how to do it. But we eventually figured it out.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Steelie

Smile

Guess what? I picked up a Fox Combat Special Mark IV here on RCU to put on the VooDoo. Long boom. Everybody...please say a prayer for me. Pics soon. Send flowers (actually I would like a gallon of Missle Mist) to the room I reserved at Beaumont Hospital. Lol.

Last edited by Steelie; 06-22-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: absolutely none whatsoever.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Tom Nied

Ha, that's great. Need anything? Surgical tubing for the tankj?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Steelie

Smile

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Ha, that's great. Need anything? Surgical tubing for the tankj?
Thanks for the offer Tom, just so happens I have 10' of 1/4" 1/16" wall surgical already in hand. This will be my first bladder setup ever. I bought Toro sprinkler stoppers and fittings that should work well from Home Depot.
If you have any tips or tricks to share, I'm all ears. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Tom Nied

I wasn't real big into combat but I remember the guys who flew those. You got a good hemostat to pinch off the fuel line while starting? Also I think they used golf club tubes to put the bladder tank into.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Steelie

I wasn't real big into combat but I remember the guys who flew those. You got a good hemostat to pinch off the fuel line while starting? Also I think they used golf club tubes to put the bladder tank into.
Tom,
Yep got a couple sets of good hemos. I think I will just use a fuel tube pinch clamp like what I use on my nitro helicopters. Just a finger and thumb operation to clamp or release and it stays with the plane. Weighs about a gram. I wish I had thought to use a golf club tube for a tank. We used to use one of those aluminum pudding cups back in the early 70's...looks like what you can now buy Vienna Sausages in today.. but for this VooDoo I used an Estes rocket tube slightly squashed into an oval shape and plugged with balsa ends. Epoxy coated the interior to fuel proof. Fits without a bulge directly behind the engine and should handle 3.5 ozs.

Last edited by Steelie; 06-23-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Tom Nied

So, did they ever release a kit of the VooDoo that was a double kit, meaning the kit that allowed the builder to build two planes? I seem to remember starting but not finishing a couple of old combat planes. Not sure what happened, but gave what I had built away. That could have been fun just to sport fly.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:47 PM
cepheusrealm

Steelie,

I need one of those little one hand clamps you mentioned. Perhaps you can tell me where you get them please.

I remember the voodoo! ....as a basic flying wing design more or less like a scaled up 'lil Satan' that I had in the early '60s. Was the recommended engine something like a .15 or more like a .35 like what I recall in a kit called the Buster I built when a friend gave it to me. He was a few years older and lost interest in models and started after the 2 legged ones. His loss..... my gain. We flew the snot out'a that ripper. What fun my classmate Marty and I had on summer days! I found the fuel tank (Perfect) I believe was the brand....a triangular profile mount tank, my control line handle and the prop from it not two months ago in stuff packed away in Mom and Dads place.

A full half century since.

Gus aka CepheusRealm
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Steelie

Originally Posted by cepheusrealm
Steelie,

I need one of those little one hand clamps you mentioned. Perhaps you can tell me where you get them please.

I remember the voodoo! ....as a basic flying wing design more or less like a scaled up 'lil Satan' that I had in the early '60s. Was the recommended engine something like a .15 or more like a .35 like what I recall in a kit called the Buster I built when a friend gave it to me. He was a few years older and lost interest in models and started after the 2 legged ones. His loss..... my gain. We flew the snot out'a that ripper. What fun my classmate Marty and I had on summer days! I found the fuel tank (Perfect) I believe was the brand....a triangular profile mount tank, my control line handle and the prop from it not two months ago in stuff packed away in Mom and Dads place.

A full half century since.

Gus aka CepheusRealm
Hey Gus,

Here's an example. 5 pcs Black RC Nitro 5.5mm Fuel Line Tubing Clamp Pinch Clip, US TH005-01101B | eBay
Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Steelie

So, did they ever release a kit of the VooDoo that was a double kit, meaning the kit that allowed the builder to build two planes? I seem to remember starting but not finishing a couple of old combat planes. Not sure what happened, but gave what I had built away. That could have been fun just to sport fly.
Yes they did. Same with Top Flite Combat Cats. I'm sure the marketing strategy was that....since in combat it takes two to tango, made sense to make a double kit.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 AM
fredvon4

Double kits...yes there were many... IIRC mostly in the 60/70/80s combat planes
Kittens
Cats
Demons
VooDoos
and I even found a 2 fer Mathis Mongoose....NOT two in one kit, but the Hobby store discount for buying 2, 4, or 6 Kits...
and to my delight if you bought 8ea @ $5.95 ( in 1972 they were typically $7.95 each in that area) also they threw in a free Fox 36x needle bearing engine and Rev Up 8x8 propeller
I do love how much BETTER we have it now....BUT, that one Oakland CA hobby shop, had a great racket going...tanks, props, silk, dope, Ambroid, and Fox Missile Mist was all about 0.50c to $2.00 Higher than other shops... Think about it

REF: Dizzies...
I retreaded back in 2012 and now 62... flying more and more each year... but still can't get past about 4 min flights before bad vertigo... short tanking plastic clunks is easy but I have a small fleet with uniflo and standard vent hard tanks... I do not want to fiddle with Carbs and 2.4, but very seriously thinking of Texas Timers fuel cut clock device to shut the bugger off at some predetermined time
Old 07-11-2017, 05:51 PM
dnalor
My Feedback: (15)

1959 Cox V Tail Bonanza
Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 PM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

1959/60; sold Xmas cards for Boys Life and got a Cox P-40. Later on, a Pt-19 and lastly a Cox Avion Shinn 2150a (which I'd love to find another). I just picked up another PT-19 to play around with. Man, they are small compared to my 1/4 scale rc jobs.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1967, I was 8 years old, built a Goldberg Lil Jumpin' Bean.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:28 PM
slkret123

In 1954 my dad took me so watch my Godfather fly a control line model called the Smoothie. I was blown away. In the spring of 1955 an older cousin went into the navy and gave me his beat up Ringmaster with a (you guessed it) a Fox .35. I lived 1-1/2 blocks from a Jr high school and there were a couple of guys who flew control line models there a couple evenings a week. I took my stuff there and asked them to teach me to fly it which they did. I was 8-1/2 years old. I flew ukies until 1959 when I discovered R/C and didn't fly control line again until 2 months ago. I got a Brodak Accentor kit and built it and put an RC throttle in it in case I got dizzy. I recently got a Brodak Smoothie ARF for nostalgic reasons (RC throttle in it as well). I'm just finishing up a Banshee I won at my RC club's inaugural control line event last month (You guessed it...RC throttle in it also). Dizziness has not been a problem but I really like the throttle control for touch and go's and being able to taxi back to the starting point. I use the throttle to drop down to 6+ second laps between stunts where I throttle up. Love the feature.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.