Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Liquidating dad's (Greg Settle) Estate

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Liquidating dad's (Greg Settle) Estate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:49 PM
jananne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquidating dad's (Greg Settle) Estate

Hello. First, let me introduce myself. I am Jananne Settle. I am Greg Settle's daughter. My dad died in July 2016 after a courageous battle with lung cancer. He died peacefully so I find comfort in that.

My dad was an excellent engine machinist and Control Line enthusiasts. I am going through his workroom (the entire basement) and have a lot of new and used items ranging from parts, engines, accessories, tools, etc.

I will be posting classifieds and would love for these items to end up in the hands of those who will value them. It's important to me that my dad's legacy live on with others making use of his inventory.

If you have any suggestions, questions or comments I love to hear from you. If by chance you knew my dad and have a funny story to share, please do!

Sincerely,
Jananne
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Jananne ,

First , let me say I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad , you have my utmost sympathy for your loss .

Second , my best suggestions would be to contact his flying club members , most especially his close friends he flew with and see if any of them will help in establishing a fair price for the items you'll be selling . Another great resource is Ebay , but don't look at the asking prices of items instead look at the "completed sales" to see the prices the items actually sold for . It's likely a lot of it isn't going to be worth huge dollars but it's also likely that there will be some big dollar "collector's items" in the collection that you'll naturally need to know the value of before they're offered for sale . And lastly , speaking of collector's items , you may want to consider keeping a couple or few of your Dad's most favorite pieces just to have a small keepsake of your Dad's love of flying things .

I wish you the best with your estate liquidation and again much condolences for your loss of your Dad .
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM
jananne

Thanks for the kind words! I really do appreciate it. I also appreciate the tips.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jananne, Another consideration is swap meets, and this time of the year there are a number all over the country. I helped the son of a good friend who passed away last year. We determined what was junk, what should go to the swap meet, and what was collectable. The small number of collectable/valuable items he was going to put on Ebay.He didn't get top dollar for every item, but he disposed of most of the stuff, and was very satisfied with the results. You didn't say what part of the country you're in. That might help us direct you to local help, or an up and coming swap meet close by. Sorry for your loss. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 PM
jananne

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Jananne, Another consideration is swap meets, and this time of the year there are a number all over the country. I helped the son of a good friend who passed away last year. We determined what was junk, what should go to the swap meet, and what was collectable. The small number of collectable/valuable items he was going to put on Ebay.He didn't get top dollar for every item, but he disposed of most of the stuff, and was very satisfied with the results. You didn't say what part of the country you're in. That might help us direct you to local help, or an up and coming swap meet close by. Sorry for your loss. Good luck.
Hi Greg - Thanks for the tip. I am in Aurora, Colorado and would be willing to go to a swap meet. I really do appreciate any info you or others could provide.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Condolences on the loss of your father.

If your American swap meets are anything like those in Canada, you'll find that they are not a great place to get a good financial return on the stuff. Everyone there expects to get stuff for nothing.

If you're willing to almost give it away, the advantage is that you will dispose of stuff quickly.

My selling decisions are determined by how much I think the item will get and how quickly I'd like to get rid of it. That determines where it is offered.

ebay is usually a bit slower with generally a higher price.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
paulgibeault

Dear Jananne,

Certainly condolences on the loss of your Dad. Many of us sure miss him (& his extended phone calls). I'd rather email you personally if I had your address, but perhaps this will work.

I was wondering if you had happen to come across a bare 2.5cc engine crankcase with the letters CK cast on it. It was a rather special item I lent to Greg for him to analyse what one of the
top Russian speed fliers (Sergei Kostin) was up to. CK is stands for Sergei Kostin's initials in Russian cyrillic.
Other than for sentimental reasons, it would really have no value otherwise. Anyway, I'm just reaching out to you to try & locate it.
Any assistance would sure be appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul Gibeault Email: pgibeault at shaw.ca

P.S. The casecase looks similar to this but the CK lettering is very obvious. Thanks for your help Jananne.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rossi A08.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2204497  

Last edited by paulgibeault; 04-01-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: More info added + photo
Old 03-07-2017, 06:39 PM
jananne

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. I will take a look this week and get back to you. It could very well be down in the basement.

Is it just metal or another color like black. IS CK the only thing on the case?

~jananne
Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 AM
paulgibeault

Hi Jananne,

Yes, CK was the only thing on the crankcase. I addeda photo on my earlier post to give you an idea of what it looks like. Thank you for looking.

Cheers, Paul
Old 04-02-2017, 06:06 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So Sorry to hear about your dad. He was always of such great help, and introduced me to very important modelers that directed my path in competition modeling. While I had not had a lot of recent contact with him, I did call him a couple of years ago to talk about the Nationals. I truly hope that you can find good homes for the things Greg left behind. He will be missed.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:09 AM
jananne

Thanks for the kind words! My dad was special for sure. I have been able to find homes for a lot, there is still a lot left though. Ebay has been successful. I noticed you were local. Do you have any interest in speed pans, used pulse jet engines, etc? He also has some planes that I am hoping to sell to a local buyer.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 AM
jananne

I have not spotted it. I will keep a look out for it though. Seems like when I go looking for something specific it's nowhere to be found. Then I go down for something totally unrelated...and there it is
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
jananne

Paul, I have not spotted the CK crakcase. I will keep a look out for it though. Seems like when I go looking for something specific it's nowhere to be found. Then I go down for something totally unrelated...and there it is
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be interested in some things. Not sure if you have an inventory, but if you could email a list to me including pricing, that would be great. I am predominantly a combat flier, so anything pertaining to that class. I am seeking Nelson engines in particular. Also if you could direct me to your Ebay sales, I will keep an eye there as well.

[email protected]

Thanks, Rich
Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 AM
paulgibeault

HI Jananne,
Thanks for your efforts anyways.
Cheers,
Paul G.

-
Originally Posted by jananne
Paul, I have not spotted the CK crakcase. I will keep a look out for it though. Seems like when I go looking for something specific it's nowhere to be found. Then I go down for something totally unrelated...and there it is
Old 05-04-2017, 01:44 PM
morpower
My Feedback: (40)

Hello:

Is there listings on E-bay?
What is your seller name?

Thanks,
Regards,
John