Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control line comeback

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:26 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grotto2
I've never seen grass damaged by glow fuel.
Is this really true or just a myth?
Yep, the one club I was in asked everyone to use a catch can when filling the tank. Don't know if this is still in effect. I do the RC and Control Line thing. There is nothing to replace a speed plane going 150 mph +. It pulls you back, and you know the power is there. RC, well low strafing runs are cool, but not as low as control line, and pulling out of a loop and flying inverted at 5 ft. is just expected with control line.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse me, aspeed, my question wasn't about club rules.
Does glow fuel damage grass or not?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will damage /kill grass !
Old 10-16-2017, 03:56 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the mention of killing grass came up here, I'll get a pic of the soccer field where I was running the engine last week.
It is an interesting question / point, to be welcome back in public parks, etc.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the fuel turns the grass brown in a few days, and the exhaust oil is hot and sometimes turns it black and kills it if run for a while, and it is aimed at the ground. Guys tend to run very rich, and it is very oily, and I guess it smothers the grass. There are oil spots left on pavement too, from filling the tank, and running as well. if you run on parking lots.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 AM
gmeyers

Originally Posted by aspeed
Yep, the one club I was in asked everyone to use a catch can when filling the tank. Don't know if this is still in effect. I do the RC and Control Line thing. There is nothing to replace a speed plane going 150 mph +. It pulls you back, and you know the power is there. RC, well low strafing runs are cool, but not as low as control line, and pulling out of a loop and flying inverted at 5 ft. is just expected with control line.
​​​​​​Yep it does leave yellow/brown spots but not right away - it takes a while for the grass to die because the fuel needs to filter down to the grass roots. May burn leaves too but mowers usually cuts that off before it changes colors. I never thought much of it until they gave me the keys to the club tractor and said "your turn". I noticed the brown spots in the pit area but only in the real grass. The weeds like crab grass weren't affected. I started using a recovery jar after that .
Old 10-16-2017, 03:10 PM
knuckleball

Most definitely kills grass and oils up pavement/concrete. When I used to fly next to soccer fields the problem was my open exhaust they did not like! Do everything you can to make things quiet...
I just switched to electric to help solve problems and add in benefits for both CL and RC.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 PM
BrightGarden

A new thread was created regarding control line landscaping concerns, but I thought I would post "evidence" here since I said I would...
So as not to irritate the villagers, in the future I will put some cardboard down so innocent grass will not be destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grass burn 002.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	806.9 KB
ID:	2243098   Click image for larger version

Name:	grass burn 001 50p.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	840.8 KB
ID:	2243099  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM
BrightGarden

In other CL news, I am working through issues of a reluctant Enya .35.
Advice/obervations from others has been along the lines that the engine may still be very young and needs to be properly broken in, and reduce castor content of fuel (now at 29%).

The engine had me working hard this past Sunday, trying to get it to give me at least one flight. It did manage to give me a flight of about 3-4 circuits, but slowly died, finally cutting out and allowing a landing/flip.

I just got 3 brand spanking new uniflow tanks from RSM, right off the production line.
For a different configuration, I also have a tongue muffler coming in from shtterman (eBay) that has a muffler pressure nipple.
Have to drill and tap the mounting lugs on the Enya .35 to try that config out.
Test runs tomorrow, Tuesday...

Name:	venturi tiny.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	2243100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_201547.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2243101   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_162021.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2243102  
Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe he mentioned the rule because raw fuel will damage the grass hence the club required catch cans. The exhaust will coat the grass, it won't be able to exhaust it's oxygen, water etc so basically you coat it with an oven and it burns.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Flypast111

Unhappy

Chemical BURN is given as follows ==> Nitromethane (CH3-NO2) & Alcohol (CH3OH-methanol) & Castor/Synthetic Lube Oil (polymer) & Air (diatomic N2 & diatomic O2 & others)
Plants & animals (biology) do not respond well to carbon/hydrogen/nitrogen/oxygen fuels. Hydrogen & Oxygen are especially reactive, especially in the presence of heat (like even sunshine - also, see Space Shuttle main fuel tank (H2) & oxidizer (O2) tanks) ,,, however slowly they may react. Nitrogen Oxides compounds (like R-NO2 - see nitromethane) are reactive as well - again, especially in the presence of heat. Further, when a biological system has Nitromethane/Alcohol/Lube Oil wetted onto the surface/skin, some fluid will soak-in or be absorbed ... then these biological systems will process these fluids ... which chemically are like a "poison" to their respective cellular processes .... OOOUUUCCCHH! There is no good news here.

As for exhaust gases/fluids - primarily composed of CO2 (carbon dioxide-greenhouse gas) & H2O (dihydrogen oxide-water) & N2 (diatomic nitrogen) & un-burned lube oil plus some other small amounts ... these are returned to the atmosphere. These gases mostly cool and condense into vapor in the air ... which under a body force like gravity ... slowly settle out. Simply put - 2-cycle model engines are not much for generating acid rain or smog or large amounts of greenhouse gases ... at least not until these sport engines become much more popular than they enjoy today!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 AM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

I am finishing up a Top Flite Nobler that I received for Christmas in 1962. I am doing it just for the enjoyment and probably will use it for display. I still have the Johnson .35 that I was going to put on it.

Does anyone know where I can find the decals for it?

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	2248917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	2248918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	2248919  
Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Spin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H. Dale You may have known a cl pilot by the name of Mike Donovan he has since passed away he lived near Jackson MS.. Mike is in the middle of the picture that I sent in the Attachment.. I am from El Dorado, AR our club has 2 CL contest every year 1st weekend in May and November.. Hope you can vist us someday Model Aviators of South Arkansas AMA #3185 field address 736 Industrial Rd ElDorado, AR 71730. I think you would have a blast meeting guys from dist 8 that fly control line.. The stickers may be purchased from tower hobbies or Top Flite...

Name:	Donovan1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2248943   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL Contest Pilots.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2248944  

Last edited by Spin; 02-25-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 PM
gmeyers

Originally Posted by H.Dale
I am finishing up a Top Flite Nobler that I received for Christmas in 1962. I am doing it just for the enjoyment and probably will use it for display. I still have the Johnson .35 that I was going to put on it.

Does anyone know where I can find the decals for it?
Well the Aldrich Nobler had a U. S. Navy scheme so I would imagine that most U. S. Navy plane models would do. You could copy onto decal paper in virtually any size you want to suit your model. I would also suggest that if someone still has an unbuilt kit they might provide you with copies (can be electronically sent to you)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 PM
H.Dale

Originally Posted by Spin
H. Dale You may have known a cl pilot by the name of Mike Donovan he has since passed away he lived near Jackson MS.. Mike is in the middle of the picture that I sent in the Attachment.. I am from El Dorado, AR our club has 2 CL contest every year 1st weekend in May and November.. Hope you can vist us someday Model Aviators of South Arkansas AMA #3185 field address 736 Industrial Rd ElDorado, AR 71730. I think you would have a bast meeting guys from dist 8 that fly control line.. The stickers may be purchased from tower hobbies or Top Flite...
i do remember him. He was a really good CL flyer. Sounds interesting to come up and visit. I spent many hours building and flying CL when I was a kid. Combat, speed, stunt. You name it. I tried Top Flite and Tower for decals but no luck there. If I can get a copy like gmeyers suggested maybe I can work with that.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 AM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

This is the decal set that comes with Brodak's Nobler kit - it's a recreation of the Aldrich original Nobler :
Looks like water-slide decals.

Nobler Decals
Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 AM
jpooch00

The Aurora Colorado club has a FANTASTIC CL/RC site just off Hwy. 93 between Boulder and Golden . Any CL fliers or wannabes in the area should check it out - RC-ers too, for that matter!
Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 AM
H.Dale

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
I have nearly finished my Top Flite Nobler I started building 42 years ago...
It only took me 50+ years. Received it for Christmas 1962. I wonder what it is worth?

Name:	Nobler1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	2255809  
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 PM
stuntflyr

Looks good. Well, what kind of engine, tank, controls, how many flights, did a local guy help you trim it out, are you a regional Expert, all of those will factor into what it's worth.
National Champs models well trimmed with top finishes go go for a couple of thousand or up, 50 year old Noblers built from Top Flight kits with old sloppy controls never flown with unreliable bushed engines from the 50's are best sold to antique people on eBay!
Why don't you put it all together and fly it? Did you finish it to sell or what?
Chris...
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Fly it.
The following users liked this post:
straitnickel (01-29-2020)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM
gmeyers

It only took me 50+ years. Received it for Christmas 1962. I wonder what it is worth?
Waiting for the Ambroid glue to dry were ya ?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations H.Dale on the completion of your old project. There can now be tremendous joy in a successful maiden flight if not by you perhaps an experienced Ukie dude. However as you noted there is a lot of pride in simply displaying your model and of course there is nothing wrong with that.

"What is it worth?" Well that is something else entirely and its safe to say that even with the Johnson it is worth less than when it was still in the original box. Even in the box kits of all venues have plummeted in value last ten years. No many active modeler/flyers would deny that the entire industry is continuing to sink into a depression no matter what you fly/build unless it is perhaps quads/drones.

Its sad to see our hobby of building/flying somehow gradually morph into something very different, that of POV video production.

Apologies for the Donny Downer attitude but maybe we can stay alive by recognizing this and support our shrinking cottage industry.

Anyway I suggest as Tom Nied posted above --- Fly It

John
Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OMG, JB and I agree on this one. I actually really like the guy and wish I flew with him. That said, the Nobler should be flown. Even if just a nice mild level flight without trying to do the pattern. A nice stunt ship actually flies pretty good. Or get someone to help you with that. Seeing it fly would be the best.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I received a Veco Chief, full stunt plane, with a Fox 35 Redhead engine. 65 years ago. OLD ? I was worried the plane would be too heavy. So I removed some weight. Kid all alone at school yard. Started it up a couple of times. Checked elevator travel. 3 kids come over. 1 holds the plane. He lets go of it. it rolls 2 feet & pulls straight up and is almost on it's back going the other way. I yank the lines the other way . The violent Ss continue up , over & down the other side . I do about 3 more of the over the top flights. I am mentally exhausted & remember I filled the 4 ounce tank. I try to land. Break a prop & spread the wheels a lot.

Not a scratch on the pilot for his first flight.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:16 AM
r ward

I am 63 now started flying large scale u-control when I was 13 and in all those years, the Nobler has continued to be my favorite plane. I am currently considering building an r/c version and looking for the plans. I know I saw them on line somewhere but can't seem to find them anymore. anybody have any idea ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.