Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Can I use an RC engine for CL?

Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM
JPMacG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can I use an RC engine for CL?

Our RC field is affected by the FAA Temporary Flight Restriction surrounding the Trump Golf Course in Bedminnster NJ. Usually the TFRs just last a weekend, but the most recent is a long one - almost all of August. So some of the club members are thinking about trying CL at our RC field. CL is not prohibited by the TFR.

I have not flown CL in about 45 years, but I remember liking it as a kid. We can put a CL model together in a few days and we all have spare glow engines with RC carburetors. Is there a reason not to use these for CL? We are thinking of just a simple mechanism to allow manual adjustment of the throttle. Crack it open a little to start the engine and then set it to full throttle to fly. Or is there something that we are overlooking?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM
JPMacG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK. I see that this question has been asked and answered many times. I found my answer with a search. My apology, I should have searched before posting.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes you can and my preferred setup is an RC engine with a conventional clunk tank. I currently am using an OS .40FP, OS .35AX and a Saito .30FS all throttled engines. Actually I do not bother with dead ending the throttles but instead use 2.4 radio and utilize the throttles. those endless touch and goes made possible by that is a true joy.

John
Old 08-06-2017, 05:15 PM
straitnickel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure can, I replaced the carb. with a Venturi and spray bar on my os40la. A Great running engine

Search this Thread