Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

The Jet Connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Jet Connection

I don't, know what it is but it seems as though I am running into more old (active) Ukie guys these days since I have been participating in some Jet rallys.

Just a couple months ago at Coachilla California Where I was actually able to fly some Ukie as well as jets and now just a week ago at the Tucson Jet Rally I meet a gentleman from Las Vegas who also is still an active controlline flyer and informed me that there is now a controlline circle at Bennet (spelling) field. This is exciting as this is only a hour and a half from my home base and would like to take a day or two check it out.

What I need to know, is what surface is the circle. I fly from a wheelchair and only can operate from a circle with a hard surface at the pilots pad. Either asphalt, concrete or similar. I cannot fly from even hard pan dirt or grass, Would love to hear from anyone who can fill me in on this??

Heck seems next month Albuquerque is the next jet event that I just may attend and checking, the citys website lists a controlline circle at the memorial RC field Hmmm.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-28-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK here is an update

The first Jet rally for Albuquerque that I mentioned in the previous post has now come and gone and yes I did attend with my trusty old BTE Reaction. With 22 entries it was considered a success (about half and half gas turbine/electric DF). The density altitude did hit one of the days about 7000. My flying buddy and I had to slow down our throttle response numbers to avoid flameouts but that did the trick andl the turbine flights were all fun and successful.

But now to the important Stuff. Yes there is a controlline circle there. Maloof memorial field I am told is almost fifty years old and the ukie circle is all hard surface large rectangle but mostly used these days by helicopters, RC cars and an occasional make out point. Someone was reported flying there the day before we arrived but none during the event. the circle (rectangle) is about two hundred yards behind the RC flightline. but all my throttles use 2.4 anyway. So on one of the days I strolled down to the circle with the trusty Magician to fly by myself The old 40FP started right on up and only took a slight leaning on the needle to compensate for the higher density altitude. In these situations without a stooge the engine is idled and one of my sandbags is propped up aginst the leading edge of the outboard stab to avoid any problems with idle creep. Ready for takeoff tranny around my neck throttle up and roll the chair backward at the same time so this drags the airplane clear and cleanly away from the sand bag.
To be honest in flight I could not tell any diff from our normal densitys of about 35 to 4000 thousand and I enjoyed this flight very much . OK after landing I decided to leave my lines and airplane out for a brake back up at the RC flightline since the ukie circle was deserted .

My typing skills are poor so gonna take a brake for a few hours and will post the what happened and hour later and the adventure that resulted when I drove back down to do another flight.

John