Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Jet Jam

Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jet Jam

Hi, just last weekend I had a wonderful experience over in California. I attended the Coachella Valley RC Clubs Jet Jam. This has been quite a successful turbine event and I brought two turbines this year and also two years ago. BUT This thread is not about jets!

I noticed two years ago that they also had a well groomed controlline circle to the side also used as a hellcopter pad as the few Ukie circles are these days but an obvious Ukie circle. Unfortunately they had a spectator control fence right across the middle on removable pipes to help with the hugh crowds primarily on Saturday.

Well with that in mind this year I went several days early and as typical of many of the jet folks I went packing my trusty old Magician and a Playboy, two days before the official event. Hoping to get in a few Ukie flights before the Official first day of the event (Friday) and the of course the Playboy for those lovely twilight old timer flights each night. With the CD's blessing of course that first day after travelling and all the hub bub of setting up the other airplanes and stuff I made it over to the circle and got in two wonderful flights on the Magician. Next day the fence across the middle was put up but during the jet portion of the event a fellow found me in my pit working on one of the jets and introduced himself only as Joe. Turns out he is pretty much The only ukie guy there (a common situation in so many locations). We hit it of pretty well with so many things Ukie in common. So come Sunday the winding down day of the event The CD had the fence removed as there was no crowd problem on the last day and Joe and I put in a few flights on my Magician and he had brought out a solid sheet half A trainer he had been teaching kids with.

Anyway what a wonderful event Cuddos to CVRC Club and to 'Joe". How wonderful and rare to be able to enjoy such a diverse variety of disciplines all at one event!

John
Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 AM
gene6029

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great story John. I had a similar situation attending a Vintage RC event. I drug some CL models there and got permission to fly them off to the side. I ended up letting several RC guys take the handle that flew when they were kids and they had a blast. Long story short, the event has moved to a different location and club now, but they welcome CL planes at the event and provide an area with cut grass for them to fly. I have not attended Joe Noll, but I hear guys talking about the CL flyers there as much as they talk about the RC planes. Any way, sounds like you got to make a new friend with common interests........Gene
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gene thanks for the reply I love to hear stories where a blending of disciplines has taken place. Hay, I have often wanted to attend an old timer event, even joined the Sams for a year at the first Ontario AMA show but it was just too confusing to participate, and with a call to the folks running the Nevada event on El Darado lake they suggested I come and watch first well, only interested in participating.

Its like controlline the old timers and rudder only RC I never totally gave them up.

Would love to hear of other blending of discipline stories especially if it has some controlline in it.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-23-2018 at 07:44 AM.