Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

3 line

Old 01-03-2019, 08:46 PM
RacerX9623

Default 3 line

So after many years of surching I have a complete system. Handle, belcrank and spool with three lines. I am going to go to the annual swap meet and find something to put it on. Something scale RC that I can convert to u control. Does anyone have any experience with a three line control set up?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have done several 3-line set-ups on both carrier and scale models. I do mine so that pulling on the elevation lines give full throttle. This actually lets you fly the model with only 2 lines and wide open throttle. I make up those two lines first. Then I make up the third line and set its length so that the throttle just barely starts to close with the trigger in the fast position. Fine tuning of line length can be done with different lengths of line connectors. I was never successful making up lines to the exact lengths shown in the handle instructions.

I have converted at least 4 R/C kits to C/L scale. No big deal, just add a good strong point for the bell crank. Top Flite P-40 gold edition with a Super Tigre 75 flew very well, but a Skyshark Val with ST .61 was even better. Those were on electronic controls. Also did a Typhoon with Fox .25 and three-line. Other three-line scale model was a scratch built F-5-F with a pair of .25's.

I have a handle and several bell cranks listed in the classifieds on stunthangerdotcom.

Where are you located?

Chuck
Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got a handle, is it worth anything?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

way back we were doing a servo for throttle. control. 2 channel radio on belt. Throttle was a none spring return channel. Plane had 3 cells of 1.5 vdc. A mini receiver and the servo.
Right hand was bell crank control. Left hand moved the transmitter speed stick. Was set up with the stick & trim BOTH to off . Stopped the motor.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The modern equivalent to the 3-line handle/bellcrank. Or just hold regular 2-line handle in normal flying hand and a car transmitter in off hand. Many Carrier and most Scale Flyers have converted to something like this. Car transmitter probably not enough channels for many Scale planes - they tend to hang a transmitter on their belt. For contest flying, 2.4 GHz transmitter is required.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM
clscale-Fred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't built a 3-line model since 1991, I have been flying with the down the line electronic controls since then, down the line electronic controls from 1991-2013 and then converted to 2.4Ghz. 3-line works but the post above is correct getting the 3rd line just right can be tricky.

Fred