Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Sig

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Varad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig

Yo i have a sig control line aerobatic plane (1/2a) and what types of tricks can i do?
Old 10-05-2003, 02:15 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sig

Varag:

If it has a "Stunt" tank, it should be able to fly the entire stunt pattern. Inside and outside loops, both round and square. The square and round eights, cloverleaf, wingover, and inverted flight.

If the plane doesn't have inverted fuel capability, that's the "Stunt" tank, you will be limited to looping, the wingover, and the cloverleaf. All the positive G maneuvers.

Bill.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:15 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That all depends upon what model and what engine. I trained a few kids with Sig Deweybirds, and Cox Golden Bee or Babe Bee (same power output) and they had a hard time to loop.

If you have a TD or even a Balck Widow or something with more power I would gather it could fly a lot more of the manouvers.

If you really want to fly a nice plane with your 1/2A engine, then try building a small built up symetrical wing model. Like the old Goldberg kits. Then you will really have some fun

AJC
Old 10-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Varad

Yeah it is a sig deweybird. I have the tee dee engine that has been ran once so i got it for $25. It was a good deal. Yeah i didnt wanna buy the black widow bc tower hobbies says it wont run inverted. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:15 PM
ajcoholic

The Deweybird on a TD 049 should haul around pretty good.. Makes me dizzy just thinking about it!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:22 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Varad,
The older Black Widows were designed to do stunts. Estes recently changed the tank to be like a Texaco engine. If you get one, just move the fuel pickup in the tank to the outside-center position and give it a try. You might find that it works well for stunts. The most you will do is lose a little fuel when flying inverted. That applies pretty much to all Cox/Estes reed valve engines (the ones with a tank).
If you do this, be careful to not lose the little "O" ring between the tank and backplate.
I never had a Deweybird but I have several Skyrays. They stunt.
How do you plan to mount your engine? The Deweybird has a radial mount and the TeeDee needs a beam mount. One way would be to get a tank mount (like Norvel). I think the Cox one, if you can find it, does not have the fuel pickup set up for stunts. Another way would be to replace the fuselage and set it up for beam mounting. Then you could use an external stunt tank.
My suggestion would be to put away the Tee Dee for right now and get a reed valve engine for the Deweybird. You might be able to find a used one pretty cheap.
Set the controls for minimum movement until you learn to fly and get over being dizzy just turning around with the airplane (and you WILL get dizzy at first).
Removing the landing gear would make it less nose heavy and allow it to stunt a little better so you might want to make them removable. When you are flying well enough to handle some stunts, remove the wheels and set the controls for more movement.
Good luck. I hope you have much fun with it.
Oh, and one more item: if you can find some local flyers to help you, learning is much faster and easier.

George
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Varad

Yeah as of now i have only flown a piece of garbage cox plastic stuka. i flew it fine though. Anyway my dad will help me bc he is very expierienced with cl flying. Well i originally was going to put in a cox babe bee engine in the plane until i got that good deal on the tee dee (read my last post) I still have the babe bee and am probalby gonna send it back to tower. The plane is almost done now. I covered it in some type of silver/chrome stick on covering (not monokote) and it looks pretty cool. Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Varad

There is one more questiion...What type of aerobatics should i try first?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 PM
William Robison

Varad:

Start with a simple climb and dive. work your way to a vertical climb, with the vertical dive following, and you have learned what is called a "Wingover" in c/l circles.

Then toghten your wingover, making it smaller and smaller, until you have worked it into a loop.

Next learn the hardest feat of control line flying, inverted flight. But learn it the easy way. When you come to the top of the loop, stretch it out. Make your loops wider and wider, you'll find you are flying inverted for 1/2 lap and more.

When you get comfortable with inverted flight, let the plane come down to your 5' cruise, still inverted, then give it some down and work your way to the reverse wingover, tighten it and get to an outside loop.

When you have upright and inverted flight, the inside and outside loops down, you have learned it all. Everything else is just combinations of these maneuvers.

Of course you will still probably be rough as a cob doing them, but smoothing out is polish - the skill is there.

Bill.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Varad

Man i thought these were dinky little planes that you use when youre bored. But now they sound kind of cool! Thanks Bill!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
gcb

Popular misconception. You can build a full-blown stunt plane with most of the bells and whistles of their larger counterpart...only smaller.
There have been some guys who used 1/2A planes to compete against the larger ones and often do well.

George
Old 10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Varad

cool! Yeah ive been flying rc trainers for a few weeks now and just decided to get the sig deweybird to practise building and flying in the backyard with. With the tee dee .049, would it be a noticable power increase from the reed valve ones?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:38 PM
William Robison

Varad:

Yes, a definite power increase, but you might not even notice it on the Deweybird. The "Reedies" fly that one very well, it wont really make use of the extra power of the TeeDee engine.

Bill.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:23 PM
ajcoholic

You'll go faster! I have two of them (had two, one left ) and they go like snot even on a black widow. My first one flew into my flight box on a high speed, low pass. I was training a young girl to do low, level flight and she was walking slowly towards the pit area.... SMASH!

It was funny, but the Deweybird wasnt laughing!

AJC
Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 PM
Varad

lol! Really. They are that much faster and harder to fly than the plastic cl planes?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
ajcoholic

Not hard to fly at all, being quite lightweight they fly easily - much better than the cox heavy plastic things (I had three, none flew well and two didnt at all!)
Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
William Robison

They are EASIER to fly than the plastic things. It can be argued the plastic things are held up by centrifugal force rather than aerodynamics.

Somewhat like slinging a rock on a string.

Bill.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:42 PM
ajcoholic

Yup, especially the Star Wars X-wing fighter.... we never did get that to lift off, but it did do a nice impersonation of a tether car

AJC
Old 10-20-2003, 08:52 PM
jessiej

but it did do a nice impersonation of a tether car
Hmmm. Food for thought. Have you seen what tether cars sell for on Ebay?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Varad

Are tether cars the ones that are on a line powered by a model rocket or .049 engine?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:37 PM
William Robison

Varad:

Tether cars are powered, usually by piston engines, and run on a circular track with a wire tether running to a central pole. Record speed is something over 200mph.

Bill.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Varad, after you have your fun with the Deweybird you could add some pizzaz with a combat model sort of like this....

The one here is a design of my own for the reed engines. With your TeeDee you could make something a bit bigger and fly it on 35 foot .008 steet lines and it'll be anything but boring. Think of it as a no holds barred fun fly model that can only do loops and looping related stunts. And lots of them and crazy tight too. A fast and tight turning combat model is a real treat to fly.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:26 AM
ajcoholic

quote:

but it did do a nice impersonation of a tether car

What I meant (as I am sure most know) is that many of the cox CL models are too heavy to fly well, if at all. Some will never leave the ground, but just go round & round in circles on the ground, just like a tether car.

For the simplicity and easy flying, you cant beat a small profile, sheet winged 1/2A CL job. There are others, the Brodak 1/2A trainer is a good flyer, as are any of Dick Sarpolus' designs which have been published over the years in Flying Models magazine, and more recently in Model AViation. They are all similar to the Dewey, ie, flat sheet wing, flat sheet fuselage and powered by an .049 engine.

AJC
Old 10-21-2003, 11:20 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Varad:

Tether cars are powered, usually by piston engines, and run on a circular track with a wire tether running to a central pole. Record speed is something over 200mph.

Bill.
Check this out for more info:

http://www.amrca.com/

George
Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
dasflugmodele

Heh BMATTHEWS, Put a Norvel AME .061 on that little bugger and then have at it. It will take your breath away,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.