Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

fuel mix for madewell 49 engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

fuel mix for madewell 49 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel mix for madewell 49 engine?

guys i have a mint madewell 49 control line engine id like to run on an engine stand what fuel mixture do i need? as well as point settings? thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 09:38 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: fuel mix for madewell 49 engine?

Donnie:

Pretty much standard fuel for the old ignition engines was 1/3 SAE 50 oil and 2/3 regular gasoline.

The point setting is where ever it gives the best spark. Sorry. Set the points to have the longest closed time (dwell) that you can along with positive break when they open.

There have been several posts of a transistor switch for the old ignition engines, do a search, makes the points last forever.

Bill.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:56 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel mix for madewell 49 engine?

The Madewell 49 is a MEAN engine on spark. Mine spanked my fingers too many times to count. The engine is timed pretty much for speed, and it is a harder engine to hand start than most other ignition engines I have ever run. Start with the spark just slightly advancedm maybe a few degrees before TDC. One it gets running, slowly advance it untill it starts to drop rpm, then back off to optimum rpm. You may want to try an electric starter (carefully, make sure the prop drive washer cannot rub on the timer housing) at first.

I suggest you run your Madewell on FAI glow fuel - 20% oil/80% methanol. The spark ignition engines run cooler on FAI than gas, and most of the guys flying SAM are not using gasoline anynmore, at least the ones I talk to and fly with. Another thing is with FAI, you can use a glowplug, and set the NV to run well, than go back to spark ignition knowing that the NV is set.

I have also had success running my igntion engines with a mix of 3:1 gasoline/castor oil. Allthough I had no problems, some others I speak to have said the castor doesnt like to mix with gasoline. It worked for me though. I couldnt get the proper 70 weight oil.

Andrew Coholic
MECA 4651
SAM 4659